Several weird little bugs, ignored entirely on Nexus

Elizinator

as the title says, i have a series of apparently unrelated relatively weird little bugs, and not one of my threads on nexus has been answered. not even a single response, so i ask here now.

in no particular order,

1: when i hit an enemy hard enough to stagger them, they sheathe their weapon, play the unarmed stagger animation, and draw their weapon again. annoying and immersion-breaking, but thats all

2: in the first companions quest with Farkas, after i lock myself in the cage, he is surrounded by Silver Hand. he fights them off, and instead of reverting to human form and opening the cage, he runs off in wolf form down the corridor and never returns.

3: NMM freezes or hangs or something as soon as i click on any of its windows. after restarting my computer, this problem goes away for a few hours at most, but always returns. ive tried reinstalling (in new locations as well), running as admin, cleaning the registry, and nothing has any effect.

4: after installing the newest version of Sexlab, i have two MCM menus for it. one is empty. otherwise, the new version functions as normal, with all new features apparently present.

#2 and 3 are obviously by far the most important. id like to progress in the companions at least far enough to use the skyforge properly, and id LOVE to use NMM without a reboot.

as the title says, i have a series of apparently unrelated relatively weird little bugs, and not one of my threads on nexus has been answered. not even a single response, so i ask here now.

in no particular order,

3: NMM freezes or hangs or something as soon as i click on any of its windows. after restarting my computer, this problem goes away for a few hours at most, but always returns. ive tried reinstalling (in new locations as well), running as admin, cleaning the registry, and nothing has any effect.

3. Use Mod Organizer , its a master race of modding tools if you compare it to the crappy NMM.

It has an utillity to import your load order and mods from NMM.

in no particular order,

3. Use Mod Organizer , its a master race of modding tools if you compare it to the crappy NMM.

It has an utillity to import your load order and mods from NMM.

im just going to say no. i have HUNDREDS of mods, and am not going to even attempt to reinstall them with MO to fix such minor problems as these.

as far as the first, ill try to answer without becoming too indignant

i am NOT crashing. i am NOT seeing huge script errors in papyrus log. i run BOSS - as well as rebuilding bashed patch - after removing or installing any mod. i have newest release versions of SKSE, FNIS, and essentially every additional resource i run. my game is stable despite hundreds of mods, and that is why i dont immediately post my load order. firstly, i use BOSS, and secondly, unless someone expects a load order conflict unknown by BOSS and unaddressed by Bashed Patch, i wont bother.

what i am asking is if anyone has ever seen these particular errors or strange behaviours. we will not being playing detective here because that has never EVER solved a single problem of mine. these are minor bugs, and if the solution is anything but minor, there is simply no point in even attempting it.

I've not had any of those problems myself (NMM freezes and crashes a lot, but that's just NMM and I haven't had the specific, repeating problem you're reporting.)

The only thing I can think of on the Farkas issue is: do you have any mods that change werewolves/werewolf transformations? The only one I've really used before is Moonlight Tales, and I know it adds the option for the companion followers to transform in battle and stay in beast form for a set amount of time. If you have that mod, or any that do something similar, maybe try temporarily disabling them, or tweaking features, and see if you can get past that stage of the mission.

Just a shot in the dark, really, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

#3 was common for me when I used NMM. If I loaded a couple mods then tried a big FOMOD/BAIN install the window wouldn't open for me and NMM just seemed to freeze. If I closed it then opened it back up it would tell me the mod was downloaded and then I just needed to install it. So it seemed that it just wigs out on larger mods, but not if you install the big ones first.

But I switched to MO after needing a fresh install. And it's been nothing but bliss. It's a truly wonderful program. If you were using it now it would probably throw up a warning hinting at your problems. ;)

I've not had any of those problems myself (NMM freezes and crashes a lot, but that's just NMM and I haven't had the specific, repeating problem you're reporting.)

The only thing I can think of on the Farkas issue is: do you have any mods that change werewolves/werewolf transformations? The only one I've really used before is Moonlight Tales, and I know it adds the option for the companion followers to transform in battle and stay in beast form for a set amount of time. If you have that mod, or any that do something similar, maybe try temporarily disabling them, or tweaking features, and see if you can get past that stage of the mission.

Just a shot in the dark, really, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

i dont. ive been doing a vampire playthrough, and havent done anything with werewolves so far as im aware.

as far as MO, i will absolutely use it next time i do a fresh install, but "importing settings" has just about no chance to not break my game with this many mods and utilities.

i agree NMM is buggy as heck, but until im ready to undo everything, im stuck with it. and it doesnt just freeze when im trying to install a new mod, but just from clicking on a window. i mean i open it, and i click on the "Mods" tab, and it freezes. every time. i cant even get in right now without restarting my computer, and that only buys me an hour or so. i have no idea what it should be that way, but it is :c

EDIT: i wonder however if installing moonlight tales might allow me to circumvent the bug.

tes5edit to find out if any mod is modifying farkas

would i have to load every mod to find that out? because i have like . . . alot. i just asked my room-mate to help me count in hexidecimal, and the actual quantity is 223.

any simple way to do this, or is  it just a brutal tedious slog ahead of me? xD

Here y'go - these are very helpful:

TES5EDIT - How to clean your Master Files

TES5EDIT - How to clean your mods

Follow both of these to the LETTER! :)

How to post your load order here:

- Open NMM. Let it load. Be patient.

- Click the "Plugins" tab (location: top left of the panel)

- Look down the far left side of the NMM panel. You'll see a vertical column of various symbols.

- Mouse over the two towards the bottom of the list that look like pieces of paper. One will be "Export Load Order". Click it, and select the "Clipboard" option.

- Open a post here. Press CTRL+V to paste your load order.

Okay, now if you're not using the current 0.48.2 version of NMM, you might want to update.

- First, uninstall your current NMM either via the uninstall.exe or via Control Panel. Select "Yes" to all options.

- Go to http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?, and download & install the latest NMM version.

Good luck! ^_^

Here y'go - these are very helpful:

TES5EDIT - How to clean your Master Files

TES5EDIT - How to clean your mods

Follow both of these to the LETTER! :)

How to post your load order here:

- Open NMM. Let it load. Be patient.

- Click the "Plugins" tab (location: top left of the panel)

- Look down the far left side of the NMM panel. You'll see a vertical column of various symbols.

- Mouse over the two towards the bottom of the list that look like pieces of paper. One will be "Export Load Order". Click it, and select the "Clipboard" option.

- Open a post here. Press CTRL+V to paste your load order.

Okay, now if you're not using the current 0.48.2 version of NMM, you might want to update.

- First, uninstall your current NMM either via the uninstall.exe or via Control Panel. Select "Yes" to all options.

- Go to http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?, and download & install the latest NMM version.

Good luck! ^_^

yeah, ive cleaned my masters, and most of those mods which BOSS described as needing it - at least those which did not have special instructions to NOT clean.

as far as NMM, this advice is not possible to follow. as ive described above, i cannot interact in any way with the program without frequently restarting. however, WB has a similar function, does it not? and it works fine. i have tried re-installing NMM, and it has no produced any change. i even tried installing it in new locations, and that was not effective at solving this problem.

id also thought that the farkas bug was long ago fixed, and my game is wholly patched. im REALLY concerned about what "verifying my cache" might do to such a heavily modified game. should i be cautious, or will it not over-write anything, or what?

I would go to where NMM is storing the compressed folders then move or copy them all into a folder, delete NMM, install MO then use MO's "install from archive function" to install all your mods. You should even be able to go to documents/my games/Skyrim and copy/move all your saves into MO's save folder.

I would go to where NMM is storing the compressed folders then move or copy them all into a folder, delete NMM, install MO then use MO's "install from archive function" to install all your mods. You should even be able to go to documents/my games/Skyrim and copy/move all your saves into MO's save folder.

ive thought about this, but ill say it again: no.

everything ive read about this function suggests that the likelihood of success with my number of mods is zero. it will break my game, and take a huge amount of work to repair, compared with the considerable by lesser annoyance of restarting my computer whenever i want to open NMM.

this isnt immutable. NMM is doing this for a reason, and once that reason is discovered, it ought to be fixable. transferring to another mod manager - especially one so totally different - at this stage of the game is far too radical. i will probably use MO when i next do a clean install, but im not going to risk destroying hundreds of hours of play now.

Archived