To be honest, I'd wait until we know what is fully in the mod tools before we start developing our own sex framework. I do know that several Japanese modders are not interested in Skyrim until the script extenders are out or until the bugs are sorted.

And porting from Oblivion to Skyrim is quite difficult as it may not be compatible or some commands/variables may have changed. But I do like the engine so it might be easier to code for it. Assuming they're using a standardised format...

Do we actually know what engine Skyrim uses? I know they are talking about an all brand new engine, if that's the case we are kinda screwed. Keep in mind that we are able to mod Oblivion and the newer Fallout games because we can use the stuff modders found out about Morrowind which was the first game from beth with the gamebryo enginge iirc. So if Skyrim really uses a completely new engine we'd have to start ALL over.

But I don't really think they are using a new engine... most likely it's a heavily modified gamebryo engine. Like Infinity Ward used a heavily modified Quake engine for their CoD-series.

But I don't really think they are using a new engine... most likely it's a heavily modified gamebryo engine. Like Infinity Ward used a heavily modified Quake engine for their CoD-series.

Yep, same engine, 5 games running, and it's a shitty engine to boot. People wonder why I scoff at people who go "OMG! BLACK OPS R TEH SHITZ!"

Yep' date=' same engine, 5 games running, and it's a shitty engine to boot. People wonder why I scoff at people who go "OMG! BLACK OPS R TEH SHITZ!"

[/quote']

In the same way the Source engine powers HL2, HL2:Ep1, HL2:Ep2, TF2 and DoD:S, Portal and Portal 2. And still based on the Quake engine too.

I heard that they stole the engine off another game,forgot which one but it's the game where when you die you get resurrected as a spirit and can't get your body back by either killing the person that killed you or killing a demon/boss, it's also super hard apperantly.

Do we actually know what engine Skyrim uses?

Yes. Creation engine' date=' built from the ground up by them.

[/quote']

That's what the PR said, but I don't believe that. Still looks very much like gamebryo to me. It may be modified, but I think it's still the old engine. Which is more a blessing than a curse, though. Imagine the time that would be needed to write entirely new scripts to make it possible to import and export the mesh files with any 3D modelling programm like blender or 3DS Max. That would at least take months. So even with the CS for Skyrim out there would be no simple mods like body replacers until those new scripts are available.

Do we actually know what engine Skyrim uses?

Yes. Creation engine' date=' built from the ground up by them.

[/quote']

That's what the PR said, but I don't believe that. Still looks very much like gamebryo to me. It may be modified, but I think it's still the old engine. Which is more a blessing than a curse, though. Imagine the time that would be needed to write entirely new scripts to make it possible to import and export the mesh files with any 3D modelling programm like blender or 3DS Max. That would at least take months. So even with the CS for Skyrim out there would be no simple mods like body replacers until those new scripts are available.

I agree with you that the engine still looks a lot like Gamebryo, hopefully it has culling and multi-core support so it doesn't run like shit, like Oblivion does. Also Bethesda confirmed that Nif files are still used for models, but I'm too lazy to find a link (it's an IGN interview from a while back). Texture formats should be the same seeing how it's still a dx 9.0c game.

Yes, the Creation Engine; the name they've given the Gamebryo engine that they bought (in some deal of some kind.)

No real change I expect, just some new BS nodes for the Niftools team to decipher. Think Fallout3. An increment of the BSA archive version, not that the last one signified any changes mind.

DDS textures, skeletons, keyframes and nifs.

That's what the PR said' date=' but I don't believe that. Still looks very much like gamebryo to me.

[/quote']The engine itself doesn't have serious problem even at that, the big problem in all cases was the implementation of what they were doing with it. Gamebryo doesn't scale well to big and open, it never has. Small cells, it works great though. But, once you have the full source of something and can strip it down and rebuild it, you can do amazing things with it even if it's 10 years old, and 4 years old, or 6 years old, or a 2 year old update.

One of the better examples of this is the SCP Indie project. Though not obviously a gamebryo engine.

The engine itself doesn't have serious problem even at that' date=' the big problem in all cases was the implementation of what they were doing with it. Gamebryo doesn't scale well to big and open, it never has. Small cells, it works great though. But, once you have the full source of something and can strip it down and rebuild it, you can do amazing things with it even if it's 10 years old, and 4 years old, or 6 years old, or a 2 year old update.

One of the better examples of this is the SCP Indie project. Though not obviously a gamebryo engine.

I think the biggest problem with Gamebyro is that although it is modular, it is also quite restrictive. Yes, it can be deployed on all platforms but it can't do anything larger than small levels. That's the nature of it.

Also, look at Source. That engine was built from Quake but fully updated to basically be a modular but up-to-date engine too. Heck, Portal 2 nearly made me forget it was a Source engine...

I couldn't help but say something here. I don't know shit about modding or engines, but from what I've read on the game so far, it doesn't seem to be done in small cells, the terrain is effected by the weather (Tree limbs shaking in the wind, snow piles up, ect.) and unless I read wrong or what I read was BS, then the cities are open. Basically, whether you're right or wrong about them using the same engine, but heavily modded, it looks like it's MUCH better than Oblivion's. In addition, if they did make it from scratch, they may have based it on the previous engine, but with a better basic design.

Also, some of the things I've read suggest that they took a lot from modders of Oblivion for ideas. Charging spells, better leveling systems, and so on. Who knows, it may even have a dumbed down version of Deadly Reflex in it or something along those lines...Also, from posts in the first page of this thread, the CS is supposed to come out around the same time.

The CS is not releasing with the game. How soon after the games release it will come out is a source of great speculation......

So what types of mods if any would we expect in the first days? Mods that change physics, xp leveling, gold rewards, and things of that nature until the CS comes out and mods can be made with textures/scripting?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of mods before the CS comes out; I think we're more likely to get a list of ~ cheats.

Yeah that's what I was kind of getting at. I tend to stay away from the cheats unless I absolutely need to use them (tcl or spawning an item I lost)

Remember the FIRST "nude" mod for Oblivion?

Boobies! They removed the bikini top for the US version. I learned how to spawn that wild Draconis chick (The one that lives in the cave) Just to fight her over and over and rip off her shirt! Ahhhh.. good times!

LOL! I completely forgot about that until I saw your post. I guess I feel a little better knowing I wasn't the only one to do this....:)