godless1991 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 Anyone who has spent some time making mods for DOA5LR over the past ten years is probably familiar with one of the game's most frustrating limitations: character mods have a very strict file size limit. When your TMCL file exceeds a certain size — usually somewhere around 12 MB — you can still select the character normally, but once you try to enter a battle, the game will become stuck in an infinite loading screen. This has always placed a serious limitation on the visual quality of character and costume mods. 1K textures can show a lot of low-quality detail when viewed up close, especially normal maps. Low-resolution normal DDS textures often cause visible jagged lines, banding, and other artifacts across the model surface under lighting. So I decided to try reverse-engineering the game with the help of GPT-6 Astra. Eventually, I managed to solve the problem and turned the solution into an automatic patch. What the patch does Increases the texture loading limit for each character costume to 256 MB. For reference, a single 4K DXT5 texture with alpha is about 21.3 MB, so 256 MB should be more than enough for practically any character mod. Increases the model loading limit for each character costume to 64 MB. You can now freely use much higher-poly models in your mods. Models with several hundred thousand polygons are possible. There are still a few other minor limitations, so please check the included documentation for details. Fixes an issue where characters could fail to appear on the Character Select screen when a mod is too large. Fixes crashes that could occur while selecting characters when using very large mods. You can now select four extremely heavy mods in Tag Mode and still enter battle reliably. How to use the patch Extract the archive and place the included .bin and .exe files in your DOA5LR game root directory. Launch the game normally. Once you reach the main menu, wait for about two seconds for the patch to activate. After that, you can play the game normally. Test Mod Inside the folder included in the archive, you will also find a 4K Mai Shiranui mod made by me. The mod is over 100 MB in size, so you can use it to test whether the patch is working correctly. Compatibility Designed for the final version of DOA5LR My game version is 1.10C AutoLink is required Tested on Windows 10 Windows 11 should theoretically work as well Please note: This mod is currently in beta, and the patch may not work correctly for some users. If you encounter any issues, please reply to this post and let me know. DOA5LR-Capacity-v1.0.rar 6
OGC1234 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 Hey, I don't suppose you would know how to get this to work on Steam Deck (any launch options needed)? Mod loads but says cannot enumerate models. Would love this to work on Deck!
funnybunny666 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 OH.MY.GOD! I guess I will spent this week testing this then. THANK YOU
godless1991 Posted September 21 Author Posted September 21 20 hours ago, OGC1234 said: Hey, I don't suppose you would know how to get this to work on Steam Deck (any launch options needed)? Mod loads but says cannot enumerate models. Would love this to work on Deck! I know almost nothing about the Steam Deck. Are you running Windows on it? I’m also not sure what you mean by “cannot enumerate models.” Does that mean the mod appears normally on the Character Select screen, but the game still gets stuck in an infinite loading screen when entering a battle, or is it a different issue?
OGC1234 Posted September 22 Posted September 22 3 hours ago, godless1991 said: I know almost nothing about the Steam Deck. Are you running Windows on it? I’m also not sure what you mean by “cannot enumerate models.” Does that mean the mod appears normally on the Character Select screen, but the game still gets stuck in an infinite loading screen when entering a battle, or is it a different issue? Unfortunately Linux. Mai 4k mod doesn't load on select screen, and infinite loading if you pick it.
godless1991 Posted September 23 Author Posted September 23 20 hours ago, OGC1234 said: 很遗憾,Linux 系统下 Mai 4k mod 在选择界面无法加载,如果选择它则会无限加载。 Absolutely. The patch currently only has a Windows version. I may ask GPT to make a Linux version in the future, but I wouldn’t be able to test it myself. 1
doa5casual Posted September 23 Posted September 23 😍 Ive no words, many thanks for sharing. youve just made the best DOA even greater!
JPMoriarty Posted Friday at 03:42 PM Posted Friday at 03:42 PM (edited) Thanks for sharing, this one is great! Does it change texture limitation for stages also? I've been messing around with stages remaster. Edited Friday at 03:54 PM by JPMoriarty
godless1991 Posted Sunday at 12:37 AM Author Posted Sunday at 12:37 AM On 2026/9/25 at PM11点42分, JPMoriarty said: 谢谢分享,这个太棒了! 它也会改变关卡的纹理限制吗?我一直在尝试重制关卡。 I hadn’t looked into the resource limits for stages before. I’ve made a preliminary expanded-capacity version for testing. The limits are still 64 MB for models and 256 MB for textures, but I haven’t been able to test it any further. Just replace the file in the patch with this file of the same name. dinput8ex.rar
lol internet Posted Sunday at 10:15 PM Posted Sunday at 10:15 PM This is amazing! I hope somebody with enough skill can make 4K versions for default costumes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now