Might get me banned but I don't really care. Why almost no non-Chinese know of this mod? FreeMem 1.2

Now for the real question:

Why is this in the Adult Mods section instead of the Non-Adult Section or even better the General Section?

BTW: Thank you asenasen for the links, I will most definitely try this out and see if it helps me out :)

Also, I dunno why the only alternative link was uploaded to turbobit, that place is singlehandedly the most frustrating place to download from (even more so than the chinese place)

Here's another link (MF) that also contains the updated English Translation asenasen:

DOWNLOAD

I claim that I do not own/edit anything in the mod and that it remains rightfully the property of original author's <Insert Chinese mod authors name here>  and asenasen's work.

(feel free to add to OP if you want or mirror it)

Nah that translation wasn't too hard, mate. I did no work on it, all credit belongs to badmi (the mod's author). I just want to refer it to people who are having troubles with memory in Skyrim.

This is not in the General subforum because:

1. i accidentally post it in the Adult section.

2. Too lazy to make a duplicate topic. Besides, I don't want to spam.

3. Aren't most of loverslab traffic comes from here?xD

The only thing I regret is the title. People might think this is a rant topic or something. So, the next time you see an unfortunate soul that is having troubles with his Skyrim, refer him to this mod. Thanks :)

actually i use SSME, it's the only "mod" that actually works for me, the rest ether crash the game constantly or keep on stopping everything making completing anything impossible. (one even kept on cleaning armor previews, crashed my game constantly because i could not watch an armor without it needing to load for the third time)

I haven't yet jumped into the whole SSME / CleanMem thing yet.  Been putting it off.  And now this comes along, adding further options and further confusion.  One thing I'd definitely like some clarity on: Do any of these three things have any bearing on Sheson's Skyrim Memory Patch?  From what I could tell, said patch (which is brand spanking new) was shaping up to be the end-all patch for Skyrim stability.

Would a combination of two or more of these four (!) different mods be in order?

I haven't yet jumped into the whole SSME / CleanMem thing yet.  Been putting it off.  And now this comes along, adding further options and further confusion.  One thing I'd definitely like some clarity on: Do any of these three things have any bearing on Sheson's Skyrim Memory Patch?  From what I could tell, said patch (which is brand spanking new) was shaping up to be the end-all patch for Skyrim stability.

Would a combination of two or more of these four (!) different mods be in order?

Well, allow me to clarify :) (of course, my knowledge is limited. If anyone wanna add in, feel free to).

Sheson's Skyrim Memory Patch modify skse_steam_loader.dll to give more memory for stuffs to load in Skyrim (1st memory block doubled). There is also a universal version with a mempatch.dll that allow you to set the block sizes using skse.ini.

SSME was released since the author didn't like his skse to be changed, so he created a wrapper version for it using d3d9_46.dll that can be set via skse.ini. Basically, it's the same with Sheson's patch in term of functionality.

Cleanmem is a third party background program that clear your memory (mostly RAM) after a certain time or when the limit is reached. (And I have no idea why the game doesn't do it properly...)

Freemem is a mod  that is very similar to Cleanmem because it does have the two functions that Cleanmem has, but the other two functions make me think it's valuable to share: Clear On Startup, and Clear On CellLoad. I don't think these features are found in the above mods/programs.

tl;dr

Sheson's patch and SSME gives more memory for scripts/textures. One modify skse dll, the other one uses wrapper.

Cleanmem and Freemem clear memory, though Freemem can clear on startup/reload and on cell load (which Cleanmem doesn't do)

In theory, they should have no conflict. I'm using SSME and Freemem at the moment. So far, I see no negative thing about this combination.

If anyone can give more insights into this, please do.

P/s: Sheson's has two .dll files and one .ini file, SSME and Freemem both have 1 .dll and 1 .ini, Cleanmem is a program. So there is no overwriting, but don't use all four together. Use one for more memory allocation, and one for memory clearance. Thus, you have 4 options:

1. Sheson + Cleanmem

2. Sheson + Freemem

3. SSME + Cleanmem

4. SSME + Freemem

But beware, you need a clean save everytime you uninstall one of these four mods. (no need for installing)

That's about as thorough as I could hope for.  Should be part of a FAQ.  The forum thread suggests that with Sheson, you can really up the uGrids (to like 18+) before things get dodgy, but if SSME achieves the same exact thing, then that sounds like the way to go.

Now I have to ask a stupid question.  Stupid, because I have yet to touch any of the stuff relevant to my question.  I gather getting an ENB to work involves fiddling with this or that dll, possibly including the one you mention (the d3d9 one).  What concerns should I have over incompatibilities between a nice ENB and any of the four options you outlined?  (I suppose specifically with regard to SSME.)

That's about as thorough as I could hope for.  Should be part of a FAQ.  The forum thread suggests that with Sheson, you can really up the uGrids (to like 18+) before things get dodgy, but if SSME achieves the same exact thing, then that sounds like the way to go.

Now I have to ask a stupid question.  Stupid, because I have yet to touch any of the stuff relevant to my question.  I gather getting an ENB to work involves fiddling with this or that dll, possibly including the one you mention (the d3d9 one).  What concerns should I have over incompatibilities between a nice ENB and any of the four options you outlined?  (I suppose specifically with regard to SSME.)

Well, you are doing the right thing. Always be cautious when modding, and not afraid to ask away. No question is stupid, mate :). Anyway, back to your question, SSME use d3d9_46.dll which is a different name, so it won't replace the d3d9 file of your ENB. Also, SSME & Sheson's patch are recommended to run with ENBoost (which is included if your ENB uses v.208+ or anyone with enbhost.exe) since ENB saves you from that dreaded 3.1 GB Skyrim has. Also, use this plugin http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/?. This when used along with SSME or Sheson's will documentate mem block 1 and mem block 2, so you will see if SSME or Sheson's is working correctly.

P/s: I added your question to the OP.

I didn't notice any unusual sideffects with this in combination with the SKSE Alpha (Memblocks) as well as Enboost. For whatever reason, (I made a lot of modifications to my install while doing this) some issues I was having previously are now gone. (Unusual script lag at times, especially while feeding as a vampire, activating objects and the like. It's now normal.)

Few more hours of play with it, three crashes.

One was a skeleton problem, one STEAM crashed in the background (WHAT.THE.FUCK?) and the other one I'm unsure of but it was on a cell load.

I'm trying it with the regular SKSE and SSME. It blew up almost instantly when I had "Clear Memory on Game Startup", but seems to be working fine with that cleared. I have it set to clear memory at 512MB, every five minutes, and going to a new place. No crashes, yet, beyond that first one.

I'm trying it with the regular SKSE and SSME. It blew up almost instantly when I had "Clear Memory on Game Startup", but seems to be working fine with that cleared. I have it set to clear memory at 512MB, every five minutes, and going to a new place. No crashes, yet, beyond that first one.

Well I really recommend you set clear memory at 0 MB to disable that feature since it's very hard to know the exact memory your game needs at peak usage. Clearing at 512 MB might not be a good idea because it can cause performance issues.

After playing with it for a while, it causes random CTDs that just don't occur if I don't use it. For me, SSME and ENB is the most stable. I can play upwards of five hours without a crash with ~140 mods in Windows XP (max of 2GB of ram since Catalyst doesn't support 3GB mode in Windows XP).

From my observations, FreeMem stood a chance of crashing each time it activated. I had it set for every five minutes, and on five minute intervals, the system would CTD or be good for another five minutes. You didn't have to be doing anything at all.

This actually helped me. Got some CTDs after playing for two weeks without crashes thanks to Sheson's patch. After adding quest mods like Wyrmstooth and Agent of Righteous Might CTDs returned. It crashed every time after 80-90 minutes no matter where I was. This seems to help. Even some glitched out bandits that didn't move anymore are now normal again. I will keep testing it. Thanks for sharing!

I was already using Sheeson's patch and ENBoost (and those had pretty much eliminated all CTDs for me) before seeing this patch.  I installed it anyway, and I can't tell if I'm having any fewer crashes since I was having so few before, but I did find that since installing this patch it's almost impossible to see underwater.  If my PC is swimming completely underwater all I can see is a gray screen.  View half above the water and half below works ok, but straight down doesn't.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

I removed CleanMem and add this. I am also using the MemPatch. Works great.

Removing CleanMem shouldn't be any issue since it's an app running outside of Skyrim anyway. Just disable it or remove it altogether.

wrong on one count: cleanmem does NOT want to be removed. there is no taskbar process to close, nothing in the task manager to end, and yet every time i try to remove it with control panel -> remove programs, it cant because "the .exe. is in use a/r/i?"

>:C

I removed CleanMem and add this. I am also using the MemPatch. Works great.

Removing CleanMem shouldn't be any issue since it's an app running outside of Skyrim anyway. Just disable it or remove it altogether.

wrong on one count: cleanmem does NOT want to be removed. there is no taskbar process to close, nothing in the task manager to end, and yet every time i try to remove it with control panel -> remove programs, it cant because "the .exe. is in use a/r/i?"

>:C

Go into it's settings and make sure it isn't set up to start running on startup. I had it only set up to start when TESV.exe was launched. So all I had to do was delete the folder the .exe file was in.

Archived