[GUIDE] Want a CTD-Free and Blistering fast Skyrim game? Here you go.

Why don't use occlusion culling?

i don't like the idea of things vanishing/reappearing depending on how demanding the current scene is.

also I read on STEP it was causing additional water flicker.

Nope, it's not what occlusion culling does. It tries to prevent the parts of the scene you don't see(objects located behind objects you see now) from being rendered by your GPU.

Things appearing/disappearing is more about [ADAPTIVEQUALITY] section and the usual ways TES4/5 acts.

Ah understood. I suppose this is a nice feature for those that need it. I've never had it enabled before (not by a mod) and when it appeared in the latest ENBs I still have no use for it, as I don't have any performance problems. It is indeed good to know though.

In FF14, OC caused things not to render on screen when there was way too much going on. Could have been a bug in how their OC worked.

Hmm, just a question, my log is around 68kb after 4 hours of playing. Is it normal considering I'm playing with Lanterns of SKyrim, Enhanced Blood, Wet and Cold, OBIS, and 3DNPC now?

I use a decent amount of script mods (I shouldn't! But can't resist) and my log file is around 28kb.

I guess 60-something isn't .. Too bad? You would have to look over your papyrus log yourself; if you see shit constantly being spammed and especially for things you may not have installed anymore .. Well then that's not good :(

The script fixes you posted for steve40 . . .

the only one not included in 2.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim patch are 3 of the critter scripts, the rest have been included already.

For the critters the USKP used critter.pex, critterbird.pex, critterfish.pex & critterspawn.pex. No reason was given as to why they didn't include all of them, but Arthmoor & company are pretty particular about what constitutes a fix.

Just a heads up.

I'd still get the fixes IMO. I have read that the unofficial patches fixed stuff before, but when I went to test and check logging, the errors were still there. They did not go away until I got his fixes. The only one I knew for sure to be fixed, was the blue palace one.

Users can do their own testing by just getting the unofficial patches, start a new game and save once you have your bindings cut off. Save the game and turn off. Turn on logging and load game -- run around for a few minutes and log off -- if you notice fxdustdrop errors then you definitely still need the fix.

The critter stuff you'll notice outdoors (after you get out of the cave). If you don't have any critter errors (test for an hour or more with this one - run all around Skyrim) then you're good to go. If not, you must start a new game and place the critter fixes in as well. Same with the predator scripts.

Remember: these fixes work best on new games. They Will not prevent these errors occurring in an already game going.

Hmm, just a question, my log is around 68kb after 4 hours of playing. Is it normal considering I'm playing with Lanterns of SKyrim, Enhanced Blood, Wet and Cold, OBIS, and 3DNPC now?

I use a decent amount of script mods (I shouldn't! But can't resist) and my log file is around 28kb.

I guess 60-something isn't .. Too bad? You would have to look over your papyrus log yourself; if you see shit constantly being spammed and especially for things you may not have installed anymore .. Well then that's not good :(

Most of the spams I get are from Not Found errors for esps that I don't use/never installed, and not even in the requirements for my mods (I guess some modders are lazy when it comes to updating their mods, so they left a bunches of references in their code).

Uriel is correct. Wet & Cold, Frostfall, etc., will search for compatible mods that work with said mods. These are not errors.

However, as I said, if you see spam for things you may have uninstalled in the past; or errors that only occured after completing a quest (that may have bugged out - The wedding singer bard in Solitude and the Mages guild quest line errors that sometimes occur are known problems that sometimes happen) then that is bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to start over using this guide but a question has occured to me. I have all my NMM, old mods and saves...do I delete these? I am going to try MO this time and I am dumpping many of the mods I had before, what do I need to get rid of to make this a clean start and where do I find it al?

I am getting ready to start over using this guide but a question has occured to me. I have all my NMM, old mods and saves...do I delete these? I am going to try MO this time and I am dumpping many of the mods I had before, what do I need to get rid of to make this a clean start and where do I find it al?

You can go to the folder where NMM stores it's mods (in their compressed forms) and copy those to a new folder somewhere. This will prevent you from having to download them all again and allow you to keep them on hand. I always download manually anyway, just in case I want them later or want to open them up and change anything in them. Mod Organizer will let you install them from a compressed archive anyway, so it will be quick and easy to put them back into your fresh game.

I would kill all your saves in documents/my games/Skyrim. In fact, I'd just delete that entire folder. If you have a save you wanna' keep just copy/paste it into a folder as a backup. And not just the saves, I'd also suggest a complete reinstall of Skyrim. If you've been manually installing and/or using NMM then there is crap in your Skyrim directory by now. Switching to MO will keep the new install clean by only needing SKSE added to it manually.

You can uninstall NMM a few different different ways, but just be sure to kill every instance you can find, even if that means entering it into the search field of your Windows start menu. Just kill it. It's garbage anyway. :lol:

Wait, why is it bad to run the texture optimizer? 

I've known from early on many authors saying "Do NOT use texture optimizing tools with this mod."

People still recommend NOT to use any kind even to this day.

"Why?" you ask? I admit I don't know the technial detail behind it. But many prominent authors have said not too. One must only scroll down on many big texture packs on the nexus and see it listed themselves.

I'm sure they have good reason to say so : )

And anyway, no one has any business using any kind of optimizers - if your system can't handle something, then turn down the graphics and get rid of some crazy high detail textures and meshes - that's like polishing a piece of shit; no matter what, it'll still be a piece of shit : (

Maybe they just mean 'compression', not optimization, however many texture modders are really clueless. Let's say, Skyrim HD, which comes with about 90% of unoptimized textures (unused or redundant information, corrupted minmaps, etc. etc.), not to say that many normals are just corrupted and out of place, although that last thing can't be resolved with DDSopt. Texture optimization is just like cleaning .esp is tes5edit. Even the official Bethesda's hi res textures have some unoptimized textures (about 10%). As for the compression function in ENB Boost, well that's another thing. I always turn it off, because of its performance hit, on the contrary of texture optimization that, if any, improves performance.

But that's for medium pc's like mine, for more advanced pc's maybe its different. I would need to know what Boris exactly said, though. I hardly believe that optimizing textures could have anything to do with enb boost's compression. Anyway, doing it its optional and not all mods 'requires' it. Here's a table from STEP that list some important mods:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt#tab=STEP_Mod_Texture_Properties

UPDATE: The latest Unofficial Patches have added their own tweaked/fixes for the LvPredator and Critter fixes. They have done this right after I had wrote up this guide. What this means is, if you had followed this guide, and are now recieving a ton of LvPredator/Critter errors, you have two options:

You can make a backup of your Scripts folder (including everything inside - just drag a copy to your desktop or something) and manually remove all of Steve40's fixes minus the FxDustDrop one (you can keep that one) from the Scripts and Source folder within Scripts.

When you load in, you will notice in your logs you now only get a few small errors (since you removed his scripts) instead of a hugely bloated log filled with errors. This should make your log go from (example) 20kb to about 22kb or so, instead of the 200kb+ before removing.

The second thing you can do is, remove the files manually like stated above, except this time start a fresh game and you shouldn't even get the small errors anymore.

Thought I'd add this before anyone yells at me for breaking their game. If you do not wish to start a fresh game, please do not download the latest Unofficial Patches. Thanks in advance guys!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice guide i hope some will read and benefit from this thumb's up :)

I myself have very stable game with  only 4k textures and heavy modded for months now.

I dont do most you suggest but i know what im doing and have high end pc its stable for months now.

Back ground programs(example fraps can CTD) or low end pc if to heavy modded still crash game.

To much fooling around in ini's when you don't realy know what your doing also can screw your game.

I realy hope more will look at your guide and it help them.

If run SKSE 1.6 use SSME memory patch instead its same result as 1.7 SKSE if not installed.

Seems after memory patch its already improved tenfolded :)

Honesty, I see you're talking about Memory patch & ENBoost, this needs ENBseries right ?

The memory patch doesn't. You can SSME from the Nexus and use that with SKSE 1.6, or get the new SKSE 1.7 Alpha and forget the memory patch (it's built into that version of SKSE).

Honesty, I see you're talking about Memory patch & ENBoost, this needs ENBseries right ?

The memory patch doesn't. You can SSME from the Nexus and use that with SKSE 1.6, or get the new SKSE 1.7 Alpha and forget the memory patch (it's built into that version of SKSE).

Thanks! Guess I'll install SSME as I'm not a big fan of alphas!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello! Might be a bit of a necro, but what exactly is the "CK" in the original post referring to? I'm trying to use this guide and I'm not sure what "Install the CK (this is important!)" refers to.

Creation Kit, the official game editor.

Open the Steam client, then mouse-over where it says "Library" on top and click on "Tools". Select "Creation Kit" and install.

Anyways, i suggest looking for a more up-to-date guide.

Skyrim Stability Guide

S.T.E.P.