I'm on and off with Skyrim anymore. I did fully enjoy the first play through but it didnt take very long. I stayed on the main quest and before I knew it I was killing a the main dragon (mind you the fight with him was easier than the 2 ancient dragons you fight getting to him). Ok that done it was time to start an I don't care char. I found that the side quests (except for the stormcloaks or Imperials side quests) were actually quite fun. So I kept playing then. Enter char #3, went a few different routes with her to offset the choices that I made with char #2. Now I'm on char #4 play through and I find that 2 weeks ago I couldn't stop playing it... now I look for reasons to not start playing it.

Overall, I wasn't flatout disappointed with it, I did however expect more, but those expectations will most likely be met when all the proper tools are released for modding. I'm most likely done with it until then. Besides, there are other games I have unopened sitting here that were pushed aside for me to sink time in to skyrim, they need some play time as well. :D

Same here, played Skyrim for maybe 4 days, and somehow I just can't get that nice "fun" aspect in it, something feels missing from the game, apart from mods, but in general. Prefer playing Saints Row The third or any other game.

On top of that, you might think that Bethesda learned from oblivion and all its modders, there is basic flaws that is in Skyrim that was in oblivion. Shooting a guy in the head with 3 arrows before he dies? Yeah, I'd like to see someone survive the first one. And the companions, oh god, there is quite a fail.

In any case, it just doesn't have that same fun kick that Morrowind or oblivion had. I've expected more from it, or maybe the hipe that was made was completely unnecessary and way to above the game's capabilities. I've reverted back to oblivion.

Comparing oblivion to skyrim is a little unfair atm in my oppinion unless you look at both games in their vanilla state, oblivion has had 5 years of modding support over skyrims 2 months without a creation kit

as far as the base vanilla game goes, skyrim is far superior to oblivion, especially if you take time doing those dungeons dotted about, there is literally alot to see in those places, most if not all of them have some backstory to them with the dotted about journals and such

In comparison to oblivion i'd say the lore is faaaar better, not sure about morrowind though seen as ive never played it (really need to do that sometime)

If your getting bored in skyrim you should try what im doing, do as much of the game as you can at level 1 it really mixes things up, normal bandits and such will eventually be easy but those falmer i tell you they are alot tougher than you realise

Comparing oblivion to skyrim is a little unfair atm in my oppinion unless you look at both games in their vanilla state' date=' oblivion has had 5 years of modding support over skyrims 2 months without a creation kit

as far as the base vanilla game goes, skyrim is far superior to oblivion, especially if you take time doing those dungeons dotted about, there is literally alot to see in those places, most if not all of them have some backstory to them with the dotted about journals and such

In comparison to oblivion i'd say the lore is faaaar better, not sure about morrowind though seen as ive never played it (really need to do that sometime)

If your getting bored in skyrim you should try what im doing, do as much of the game as you can at level 1 it really mixes things up, normal bandits and such will eventually be easy but those falmer i tell you they are alot tougher than you realise

[/quote']

Vanilla vs vanilla is a fallacious argument unless you play solely on consoles. As much time has passed, Skyrim should've been better than modded Oblivion out of the box, but it's not. All they did was incorporate the better Oblivion/Fallout mods and chucked it ontop the much vaunted and oh so brand spanking 'new' Creation Engine with simpleton quests and dumbed down mechanics.

The worst part is, they took all this time to incorporate engine updates already available in OBGEv3, but didn't do anything to improve things modders can't access like the stupid AI or the animation limitations of Gamebryo. No, none of those have been improved but, the fanbois will jump out and point out how great the new creation engine is.

I'd rather modders keep updating Oblivion for fantasy RPG's and Fallout3/NV for modern-era RPG's. As long as the consoles don't get updated, Beth will keep churning out the same game with more lies about 'new engines' and hype machine overdrive.

I agree that it's hard to factor out the impact of Oblivion's mods when comparing the games.

That said, the feeling of "ok, I'm the hardest dude in the world - now what?" seems to set in earlier in Skyrim than it does in Oblivion. And the lack of stats/classes mean that my characters tend to converge on my usual playing style a lot faster, and they all end up as sneaky mages. That limits the potential for replay a little, I'm finding.

It'll be interesting to see how that changes as mods get released and ported.

The thing is, Oblivion really was a new engine, new graphics, new AI, new everything. In other words, it had potential.

Skyrim is *not* a new engine. Almost all avenues for improving the Gamebryo engine have been explored and exploited by modders already in Oblivion and FO. The so called 'Creation Engine' didn't bring anything new to the table. You may ask how I can say that for certain when the CK hasn't been released, but may I ask, did you see anything that isn't in modded Oblivion/FO implemented in Skyrim? I'm sure they would've hyped it to hell and back if there was.

I'm sure Skyrim will get its balance mods, monster mods, beauty mods, etc... but that only brings it back up to the level of modded Oblivion. After that, modders will be faced struggling against the same limitations of old Gamebyro.

You may ask how I can say that for certain when the CK hasn't been released' date=' but may I ask, did you see anything that isn't in modded Oblivion/FO implemented in Skyrim? I'm sure they would've hyped it to hell and back if there was.

[/quote']

On the other hand, what was there in vanilla Oblivion that modders hadn't implemented in Morrowind? I think you're being needlessly pessimistic.

You may ask how I can say that for certain when the CK hasn't been released' date=' but may I ask, did you see anything that isn't in modded Oblivion/FO implemented in Skyrim? I'm sure they would've hyped it to hell and back if there was.

[/quote']

On the other hand, what was there in vanilla Oblivion that modders hadn't implemented in Morrowind? I think you're being needlessly pessimistic.

I was replying to another post that the author deleted while I was typing. He was suggesting I shouldn't compare modded oblivion to vanilla skyrim drawing parallels to modded morrowind vs vanilla oblivion.

My response to that was that although modded MW > vanilla OB, the new engine gave OB potential whereas SKY is not a new engine so the best it could hope for is to match OB.

My response to that was that although modded MW > vanilla OB' date=' the new engine gave OB potential whereas SKY is not a new engine so the best it could hope for is to match OB.

[/quote']

Sure. But then so is the Creation Engine, at least according to Bethseda. Granted you can make a good case for Creation being the result of incremental improvements to Gamebryo ... but then that seems to have also been the case when the Morrowind engine was rebranded as Gamebryo, so from that viewpoint, the two cases look pretty similar.

I understand that you're feeling somewhat underwhelmed with Skyrim, and to a certain extent I can see where you're coming from. All the same, I think it's a little premature to assume that there's nothing new under the hood that we can exploit. If nothing else, the Radiant Story framework seems to offer potential for more complex and varied questlines than were really sustainable under Oblivion.

But we won't know for sure until we see the CK.

I think it's a little premature to assume that there's nothing new under the hood that we can exploit. If nothing else' date=' the Radiant Story framework seems to offer potential for more complex and varied questlines than were really sustainable under Oblivion.

But we won't know for sure until we see the CK.

[/quote']

I couldn't agree more, we'll see come January onwards when the CK is sceduled to release, even so I think the vanilla release content far outclasses oblivions and if the CK holds up, there seems to be quite a bit for the modders to play with for sure

Its kinda sad so many wait for the CK. It never happened to me earlier with a Bethseda game and its a bad sign. Yesterday I played a bit Oblivion and that game has so much more charm to me. And the towns also are so much nicer.

Maybe I played to many games (I actually played Fallout 2 last century, god that sounds so long ago :) ). So the older/experienced players know the gamemechanics and what does Bethseda do, they dumb it down making it basicly a 6yrs old game while you need be 18yrs to buy it...

I couldn't agree more' date=' we'll see come January onwards when the CK is sceduled to release, even so I think the vanilla release content far outclasses oblivions and if the CK holds up, there seems to be quite a bit for the modders to play with for sure

[/quote']

Just for the record, I did a bit of googling. Apparently Morrowind did in fact use the Gamebryo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

I'd suggest re-evaluating Morrowind Donkey. It is an excellent game' date=' it's just that the graphics are hopeless. You NEED Better Bodies, a graphics replacer or two, some mesh replacers and the executable patch, and maybe MWGE.

Then it puts Oblivion to shame in many ways.

[/quote']

That is the whole point right there.. Without mods that game is pretty useless. i don't play game first with mods active remember ?? I will always play a through with 0 mods active. if i find the is pretty bad vanilla wise, it's gone of my pc for good..

I have seen some mods on nexus or other places but even with high-res textures, npc looks way to blocky to even be called npc.

The game is great without mods regardless. I played Morrowind for 7+ years. 2 on original Xbox and 5 on pc.

The story is much better than both Oblivion and Skyrim. It's less black and white.

There are more factions, quests and skills.

There's alot of political infighting. For example: Great House Telvanni which is the traditional guild for mages, hates the Mages Guild and vice versa.

Great House Redoran are supporters of the Temple (Morrowind's native religion).

Imperial cult hates the Temple.

etc.

So in closing you don't need mods to make morrowind great it already is, mods just add more to the greatness.

As for graphics the game came out in '02 or '04, but what it lacks in graphics more than makes up in story.

maybe if i played it 9 years ago, it would have been different, but i cannot play anything, that looks like that now. Why go back in time, if we have things that are much better now ?? i need at-least something to look at, if it is that horrible, i would rather play ping pong, or Donkey Kong.

Am playing now, I'd say better graphic although blocky shadows are far more ugly than no shadow... Don't forget you play a console game on your PC so yes, it could be a lot better...

I'd say they incorporate a lot of basic Oblivion mods ideas (culling plants, ability to cook, companion [although really sloppy job on that]), they added good stuff like smithing etc (but I still have to understand why cooking doesn't have it's own perk or at least count as alchemy).

But despite that and the fact that they somehow get back a little bit of Morrowind spirit, the game is somehow... Boring.

I think we're done with the ES lore, everything has been done and as much as I enjoy seeing old stuff I know from past games; unless you dig into main quest and play without any SQ, you'll find yourself doing a lot of fetch quests with endless dungeons filled with boring containers. Frankly, that looks like work to me, not game.

So it looks like a good game, some nice invention but they then stick to main quest, I did the companions and they had potential. Was it my mod, I'd say the quest is in early alpha stage... Did the mages quests, story was good but again, the little sidequests were done by the local janitor at Bethesda after hours. ZzzzZZzz.

It may need time for us to get use to the Skyrim universe and the useless map is not helping but towns are really good looking. If only every quest was not involving a 4 levels endless dungeon...

Ok a bit unfair from me. It seems somehow I did all the giant dungeons in a row and am only now stumbling upon the short ones. Must say the red eagle (totally optional quest) was well done, unique and I found myself staying in the dungeon just to look on how well it was done.

@Donkey: Well I respect your decision, and can understand your viewpoint.

As for Skyrim. I like Skyrim I like it alot. To me it brought back that Morrowind feel, that was lacking in Oblivion.

Yes the quests are repetitive and faction quests are short. But there's something that keeps bringing me back. The MQ I believe is better than oblivion and I like the no class option. It allows me to play it the way I want. Right now I have a character based on Conan the Barbarian, a barbarian\ thief build.

I have backed away from Sktrim a bit but for a completely different reason ... I work outside and it has been snowy and cold and dreary since Thanksgiving. In Oblivion I can avoid the area around Bruma and run around in a world that seems sunny and pleasant. I know it sounds like splitting hairs but there are nights, especially after week before last when we had 9 days without direct sunlight, when I just don't wanna trudge through snow, and blowing snow, and snowdrifts. I did complete the main (I assume Alduin was the main) on vanilla and maybe this summer when I'm frying in the sun the Skyrim-scape will have more appeal.