iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes= FACT OR FICTION?

Sabres

A lot of debate about this one and no real answers.  I got the below info from http://www.rcrncommunity.com/five-quick-skyrim-tweaks-you-may-not-know

When I make the Value 4000000000 I get a Papyrus error that its not correct...

Bethesda released the “4gb patch” more than 8 months ago, but this doesn’t really matter, it was just a LAA fix in order to allow the properly handling of memory under 64 bit systems. But this doesn’t necessarily mean your system will automatically use more than 4gb of RAM!

In order to tell to Skyrim your correct amount of system memory you have to apply the following tweak:
Open your Skyrim.ini, usually located at the path: C:\Users\youruser\Documents\My Games\Skyrim and search for the line under the [Papyrus] section:

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=*******

Then change the value marked as “*******” with the approximate amount of your system memory, by consulting the tab below:

if you have 4GB of ram -> iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2000000000

if you have 6GB of ram -> iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=3000000000

if you have 8GB of ram -> iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=4000000000

(if the line is not there, simply add the appropriate line *only one choosing with your systems RAM amount)

This tweak usually helps really a lot, we found that the game is about 20% smoother when the properly memory value is set!

I use iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600. Which gives Skyrim 1024 mb of vram to work with. Since my avg usage is 800 mb. I doubt more is ever needed. I have zero micro stuttering or memory CTDs.

Honestly it's best to use skyrim performance monitor to see how much vram you are using and increase and decrease accordingly. Since everyone has different specs. But obviously increasing it past 2147483647 or 2gbs is stupid and will cause problems.

Remember this is mostly for scripts, so it's not that serious. You wont crash from well made scripts lagging but it's still annoying, so if they do lag increase the values.

The STEP community often debates this on it's forums. They have a less is best approach to ini tweaks generally, and the (sort of) consensus there seems to be that most of these papyrus tweaks are mythological cut and paste chinese whispers jobs, or anecdotal with no testing methodology to explain them beyond a very happy placebo effect. Me, I'm as in the dark as you and wish there was a magic bullet. 

I used to use RCRN and at the time I felt I was having severe script lag. Being a cabbage brain (especially when it comes to arcane techy lines with really long numbers after an = ) I blindly followed that very advice. And I didn't notice any improvements whatsoever. Some places still lagged, I still got infinite load problems and scripts acting weirdly, and the only solution was to remove the worst offenders from my load order...oh and running Safety Load has helped me immeasurably too, but that's another topic. 

For what it's worth  (and not to totally pour total scorn on these papyrus tweaks as a whole) , when I blindly followed some very well circulated tips and ended up with fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800 among other changes, I never noticed an improvement in my general game, but when I tried doing Battle For Solitude and was getting 7fps as soon as I got within 500 yards of the city, the only solution I found was to comment out that line entirely, after which it was smooth as silk. So now it's back to default and that's how it's staying.

As far as I can tell none of it has ever made a positive impact to me. That CK wiki seems to be basically saying:

"don't fuck with any of it unless you're really very clever at testing things thoroughly for all kinds of systems and all manner of variables and eventualities"

Can anyone recommend a *sensible* value? 

Currently I'm using default script memory but on *some* occasions, my game has completely frozen.

It is not a VRAM issue as I run at decent framerate. But in certain battles, I know there are a ton of additional combat scripts running on top of the background scripts.

So for example, would increasing the value by 1.2x or 1.3x be reasonable?

• 2 weeks later...

Dont mess with ini's guys you'll regret it later.

Unless some expert like boris tell you other wise and why.

Later you remember i have told you so i warned you ;)

I back up the ini, and make changes and test them ingame. 

All of our computers are different, to make ini changes that fit your computer like a glove. You also learn or at least have an ok understanding of what does what to your computer specifically - same trial and error process when it comes to installing mods that conflict.

Plus, I'd rather not even read or sift through posts by Boris with his condescension toward seemingly everyone.

Dont mess with ini's guys you'll regret it later.

Unless some expert like boris tell you other wise and why.

Later you remember i have told you so i warned you ;)

Don't mess with setting you are not entirely sure what they do, and the risk of modifying that. There is no problem for people to add certain tweaks like increasing the navmesh movement distance (for arrows to hit far away targets) or change minor things like FOV or grass amount.

• 7 months later...

well i changed the updatebudget to 1.6 later on and noticed that it did stutter my game even more when i was outdoors. I wonder if changing the allocatedmemory to 2 g vram will work.

Arise Lazarus ;)

The only sensible advice I've been able to test for myself to a point that I'm convinced it does anything positive is gentle increases to fUpdateBudgetMS, I've found that can quite effectively help to make things feel like they're running more smoothly, script-wise. 

According to most received wisdom including Bethesda,  messing with defaultiMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes much beyond it's default 76800 is opening yourself up to 'stack thrashing'. Anybody following the RCRN peoples advice  and still getting enough serious stutter to prompt them into using Hialgoboost or whatever, I doubt it would occur to them that it's the advice they're following that's probably a prime cause of their woes. 

What I can say with some certainty from my often very troubled and messy experiments in the past,  meddling with papyrus settings against the overall background noise of mod conflicts, textures not being optimized to suit your available memory and any number of other possible causes, is an exercise in almost total futility. 

Archived