ESM / ESP problem

A.J.

Hello,

I don't know anything about ESMs, it was the last thing I wanted to do with my ESP because I already noticed it was solving the face colour differences, as I've read in a post of Jonas Opines. Also, I've read it was solving some navmeshes problems. I tried it and I really had the feeling it was working definetely better.

Anyway, something strange happened. There's a place where I have a trigger zone (the big orange box). OnTriggerEnter player - doonce - it enables a disabled NPC that will start a dialogue etc. etc.

So, I went there on my esm, it didn't enable the NPC. Even if, as esp, I tried it dozens of times, I though there were errors in the esp, before converting. I took a look: everything ok. I tried the esp, with the SAME savegame, it is loading since they have the same name: NPC spawns.... so let's see if it is a casualty: rename again the esp, let's put again the esm, reload the same savegame: it doesn't spawn. Did it again 2-3 more times. ESP will spawn NPC, ESM won't spawn.

Does someone know why this happens? Since for now I only know good consequences in doing a ESM, what are the downsides? I mean, this is a weird but VERY IMPORTANT downside, the one of the NPC that doesn't spawn, who knows how many other scripts will break... now I'll test it deeply, but well it would be nice understanding if there are known negative sides in doing a ESM.

Anyone had negative experiences with the ESMs?

Thank you very much.

PS to do my esm I changed the header on FNVEdit, ticking ESM and saving. No more. I don't work with ESM in GECK, always ESP then converting.

In an ESM every "references refrenced" in script must be permanent.

Sorry, Jaam, could you explain me something more about it? What is a "reference referenced"? and how it is considered "permanent"?

if you specify a reference in any of your scripts, then that reference must have the "permanent" flag selected.

Just try recompiling all your scripts once the mod is converted to an ESM. If any reference is not permanent, you will know.

Do you mean the "Persistent Reference" flag?

So I should load the esm instead of the esp in the GECK and clicking on the button Gameplay - Recompile all the scripts, even if it increases a lot the size of the mod?

I just tried that, but nothing happened. Well, the size went from 2.5 Mb to 7 Mb. What should I expect?

Yes that might be the effective term :)

If you did not receive any errors (you are running GeckPU?) then that was not your issue.

By the way when running recompile all to check for errors, make sure you don't have any mod selected, that way the added size would be to a non existent mod.

Yes that might be the effective term :)

If you did not receive any errors (you are running GeckPU?) then that was not your issue.

By the way when running recompile all to check for errors, make sure you don't have any mod selected, that way the added size would be to a non existent mod.

Yes I just wanted to be sure it was the right term because I can easily drown in a glass of water, so... better be twice sure of what I'm doing :P

It recompiled without error but... I don't use PU. I'll do it with PU then. But... sorry if I insist, is it better recompiling with the esp or after that I'll change the header to esm? or it doesn't change?

I only have my own mod selected (with FalloutNV.esm), but... is it good that it changes size in that way? from 2.5 to 7 Mb? will that slow down the users?

The compilation errors can only be seen if your plugn is an ESM. And load your plugin but don't activate it. That way the copy of the scripts will not be part of it, and they can be discarded easily. Nothe alsoe that without PU, you won't see any error.

Archived