Question about switching meshes/textures

Hello,
Is it possible to switch meshes and textures from steel plate to normal steel armor?
I like original steel plate and I also like Steel Armors and Weapons Retexture SE retexture mod, and I would like to have both sets in the game at the same time. 

Sure (I think). In as much as you can use alternate textures for bodies, I suppose you could, as long as they share the same dimensional characteristics and type scaling (eg: CBBE-family vs UNP family formatting, maybe including UBE too these days... not sure).

I believe that having both in game is a bit trickier and likely requires another mod to cover the type, or some sort of "new armor" creation and appending that stuff into an existing set so the new set exists as a unique armorset.

5 hours ago, Serana8 said:

Hello,
Is it possible to switch meshes and textures from steel plate to normal steel armor?
I like original steel plate and I also like Steel Armors and Weapons Retexture SE retexture mod, and I would like to have both sets in the game at the same time. 

Not quite sure what you mean here. If you mean keep the vanilla steel plate and have the retexture mod for steel armour then I would say no as the retexture mod is only textures. I would imagine that the meshes for regular steel are different than steel plate so the steel plate textures wouldn't fit correctly.

Technically it could done but it would involve a bit of work. Make a copy of the steel plate meshes and rename them as per the steel meshes and do the same with the textures from the retexture mod. Make a back up of the vanilla steel meshes and textures and replace them with your pseudo-steel meshes and textures. Not sure how things like armour strength and weight would work.

Thank you both. I feel like it can be done (maybe). On picture is steel armor and it also works in game. But I am missing something. Bodyslide sliders are not responding, All I get are zeroed sliders.

image.png.734fdbb45e7e87f80835d6488dba0948.png

Posted (edited)

Replacing textures should not break mesh sliders. Did you replace the meshes too?

Perhaps a better way to go about the mesh side of things is to clone all the meshes for the existing set, for which this will be a variant, including the associated Bodyslide files. That way, you don't break any node info or lose bodyslide sliders. You'll probably have to do some editing using Nifskope to change item names as well. Maybe SSEDit too idk. Incorporating them into a useable form in game though...idk, a new mod? Or maybe steal the "allocated space" for an existing armor and put your stuff in place of its stuff... (Ie you will never use "such and such" armor, so you replace everything about it with your steel armor variant).

Edited by anjenthedog
more blather