Just went over to the f4se site. Apparantly there are ways to continue playing after the update - and before they are able to adjust the mod. But I guess I am just too dumb do understand exactly how it is done... ;) What do you guys think: how long will it take, till f4se is playable again?

Well, in most cases it doesn't take very long to get F4SE back up to par. It's the other god knows how many mods that have to be updated too. I'm not running this new FO4 update for quite a while. I have over 400 mods in my MO2 build, gonna keep working on that one. It actually works.

20240426033013_1.jpg

2 hours ago, AyseYenilmaz said:

Just went over to the f4se site. Apparantly there are ways to continue playing after the update - and before they are able to adjust the mod. But I guess I am just too dumb do understand exactly how it is done... ;) What do you guys think: how long will it take, till f4se is playable again?

In the Nexus post the second sticky post explains how to roll back Bugthesda's fuck up.

It's not hard, just take your time. And basically you're just downloading the last "working" version and replacing the current files.

Once you're done, NEVER EVER launch the game via the vanilla launcher and make sure you have auto updates turned OFF in Steam.

Why is it? Every time BGS updates one of their vanilla games, peeps lose their minds and make statements like above? A game update is never "Bethesda's fuck up".

Script extenders are hacks. Always have been. The team hooks into the executable to enable the script extender to work. It does not matter how big or small the update is, an new executable always means the script extender has to be redone.

Anyone who understands modding knows this, which is why we always recommend turning off automatic updates and only ever launching via the script extender or the mod manager. 

It's been like this since the very first script extender was created for a BGS game. Nearly 20 years now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2024 at 10:02 AM, nIn nIn nIn said:

Why is it? Every time BGS updates one of their vanilla games, peeps lose their minds and make statements like above? A game update is never "Bethesda's fuck up".

It's not the update. It's the lengths you have to go through to not have that update forced down your throat by BSG and the saves that it makes unplayable when it happens. The  Steam client has also been known to reset your preferences. Including update preferences. 

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/616187204078879326/

I did set my preferences to only update when I use the launcher.
image.png

But you see this? It downloaded anyway and the only way I'm able to play was by setting the manifest file to read only before it happened.

image.png

From https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42147?tab=posts&BH=1

2024-05-01: Investigating feedback. 1.10.980 itself has some major stability problems that I can reproduce with just vanilla content, so there's probably (hopefully) going to be a follow-up patch soon. Updating for that will not take anywhere near as long as 1.10.980. The unstable base makes finding problems in my code more difficult than it should be.

2024-05-02: A few fixes from mod author reports and requests. Let's see what happens if I widen the audience a bit.

2024-05-03: Apart from the usual misdirected complaints about other people needing to update their mods (expected), things seem pretty good so far. If you can make make the game crash with a single mod, have QA-style repro steps, and the problem doesn't happen when being run without the loader, please let me know.

10 hours ago, jbezorg said:

It's not the update. It's the lengths you have to go through to not have that update forced down your throat by BSG and the saves that it makes unplayable when it happens. The  Steam client has also been known to reset your preferences. Including update preferences. 

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/616187204078879326/

I did set my preferences to only update when I use the launcher.
image.png

But you see this? It downloaded anyway and the only way I'm able to play was by setting the manifest file to read only before it happened.

image.png

Did you read what you wrote?  BGS don't run Steam. That would be Valve. Steam overriding your preferences and updating the game is Valve's doing. Not BGS. So "Valve's fuck up". You don't even know who to be angry at.

But yeah, I get it. This years it's BGS turn to be hated.

Script extenders are hacks. Always have been. The team hooks into the executable to enable the script extender to work. It does not matter how big or small the update is, an new executable always means the script extender has to be redone.

Anyone who understands modding knows this, which is why we always recommend turning off automatic updates and only ever launching via the script extender or the mod manager. 

It's been like this since the very first script extender was created for a BGS game. Nearly 20 years now.

EVERYBODY:  Bethesda makes crappy games that are full of bugs

ALSO EVERYBODY:  How dare Bethesda release an update that attempts to fix some of these bugs

A game update is never "Bethesda's fuck up".

Because every update Bugthesda has made has introduced even more bugs. Yes they "attempt" to fix things, but generally fail 75% by fucking up what they try to "fix/add" or breaking other parts of the game (not talking about mods).

So yes their "updates" are fuck ups that need to be fixed by the modding community. THAT's the biggest reason why you NEVER want to allow auto updates.

9 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Because every update Bugthesda has made has introduced even more bugs. Yes they "attempt" to fix things, but generally fail 75% by fucking up what they try to "fix/add" or breaking other parts of the game (not talking about mods).

So yes their "updates" are fuck ups that need to be fixed by the modding community. THAT's the biggest reason why you NEVER want to allow auto updates.

Hyperbole.

They should fix the bugs that the community patch fixes. But then you would complain that they broke the community patch. But then, why would they fix the bugs the community patch has already fixed, because those bugs are already fixed.

As for your assertion BGS always introduce new bugs with every update or bug fix is colossal bullshit. I will accept sometimes, but reject your "every update" (= always).