I should know the answer but I can't remember.

Affects males and females bodies only.

Affects all argonians - vanilla named and mod added.

Textures all seem to be in the correct place.

I'm using HIMBO and CBBE 3BA. TNG schlong has a texture.

Argonians.jpg.432ddd3a34b35d0d4f744b6b9aa01f80.jpg

Generally, that's a missing body texture definition/reference issue (specifically, "missing" specular map)

For *me* the problem is a missing "default" body overlay in Racemenu presets, apparently due to some sort of intrinsic Racemenu write error, or possibly some other mod that's overwriting the data...idk Racemenu is where it seems to happens,  that erroneously sets the hash entry to "". 

This is what it looks like once overwritten with a blank.

"skinOverrides" : [
      {
         "firstPerson" : false,
         "slotMask" : 4,
         "values" : [
            {
               "data" : "",
               "index" : 7,
               "key" : 9,
               "type" : 2
            }
         ]
      }
   ],

And this is an example of (player in this case) what it *should look like

{
            {
               "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_s.dds",
            }
         ]
      }
   ],

(note that the default body should correspond to whatever it's applying to, so for some NPC with their own textures, you'd want to set that accordingly, as it might be the same as player - "Uses Player's body and textures" - or might be specific to the NPC/follower, if they use their own)

Example: This is one I use for a BHUNP follower (note that this one points to the follower's own custom texture set)

{
            {
               "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\followersha\\body\\femalebody_1_s.dds",
            }
         ]
      }
   ],

fwiw, ymmv, etc

Edited by anjenthedog

In addition to skin overrides, and invalid mesh textures:

1. Racemenu (nioverride) overlays: slavetats etc.
  2. Vanilla overlays: SexLab's cum layers, dirt, blood and who knows what else.

Everything except for vanilla overlays should show up in the RM preset. Whether you can save a preset from an NPC I'm not sure. Also, listing active mgefs on an actor is also not possible as far as I know, so actually finding the source of the missing texture may be a bit trickier than it sounds.

Edit: More Informative Console can list textures applied to the currently selected actor, at least to some extent. I'd perhaps start with this, as it seems relatively simple compared to everything else.

Edited by traison
Posted (edited)

First of all, sorry for the delay in responding. I thought creating a thread automatically set you follow it but apparently not.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, anjenthedog said:

Generally, that's a missing body texture definition/reference issue (specifically, "missing" specular map)

I'm fairly sure it's nothing to do with RC as it is every argonian in the game.

I have no idea where or what that json(?) file i or where to find it.

I removed all the textures from textures\Actors\Character\argonianfemale (and male) so the vanilla files would load from the bsa - didn't change a thing.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:12 PM, traison said:

Everything except for vanilla overlays should show up in the RM preset.

I can't see it being RM (see above). The character I'm using is just a test character - the first male nord (playable Elder Race mod which doesn't have argonians). I never use overlays in any case.

12 hours ago, misterpipes said:

Last time I saw that in my game was when I installed a RBT (Race-Based Texture) version of a skin, without RBT installed.

I really hoped it was something as simple as this but sadly no it wasn't.

Edited by Grey Cloud

Okay, so I might be wrong about RM. I just started a new game and male and female argonians have the problem. I have been up and down my mod list a hundred times looking for something which would do anything to argonians. I've looked at all sorts of mods in XEdit looking for something, anything which does something, anything to argonians.

The body paint entries in RM were all set to the default (silvery rhombus). There endeth my knowledge of things overlay in RM. I have no idea where to look for overlays.

I'm running v1.5.97 with SKSE 20.00.20. The version RaceMenu I have is 0.4.16 which says it's for SKSE v17. and above. Is this the correct version? Does it matter?

Depending on how much patience I have tomorrow I might purge my mods and take it from there.

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm running v1.5.97 with SKSE 20.00.20. The version RaceMenu I have is 0.4.16 which says it's for SKSE v17. and above. Is this the correct version? Does it matter?

Ok, right, yup, yes, it's the last one for 1.5.97,  and yes it matters. 

Do you happen to have a replacer mod installed for Argonians?

If so, I'd check with whatever paths it added to find the associated textures. (also check the associated meshes using nifskope if needed)

If not, the default Argonian textures should be located in 

/Data/textures/actors/character/argonianfemale & /Data/textures/actors/character/argonianmale

6 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

Ok, right, yup, yes, it's the last one for 1.5.97,  and yes it matters. 

Do you happen to have a replacer mod installed for Argonians?

If so, I'd check with whatever paths it added to find the associated textures. (also check the associated meshes using nifskope if needed)

If not, the default Argonian textures should be located in 

/Data/textures/actors/character/argonianfemale & /Data/textures/actors/character/argonianmale

Thanks. At least I know I've got the correct RM version.

I didn't have any argonian replacers installed but I tried two different replacers to see if they helped with the problem.

15 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I can't see it being RM (see above). The character I'm using is just a test character - the first male nord (playable Elder Race mod which doesn't have argonians). I never use overlays in any case.

What I meant by this is, typically when you have missing texture issues like this you can open RaceMenu (for the player) and save a preset, then inspect that preset to find the missing texture. Whether you can do that with NPCs or not I'm not entirely sure. The RaceMenu view for NPCs is rather limited, and I rarely use it. You may have to write a script and do it with nioverride yourself if RM doesn't provide access to presets in this limited mode.

12 minutes ago, traison said:

What I meant by this is, typically when you have missing texture issues like this you can open RaceMenu (for the player) and save a preset, then inspect that preset to find the missing texture. Whether you can do that with NPCs or not I'm not entirely sure. The RaceMenu view for NPCs is rather limited, and I rarely use it. You may have to write a script and do it with nioverride yourself if RM doesn't provide access to presets in this limited mode.

Thanks. I have just tried that with a new game but the only things in the preset were Skyrim and High Poly Head.

Earlier I disabled all my mods except SKSE and Papyrus Tweaks etc. and ASLAL and RM. Didn't make any difference.

@anjenthedog @traison

Ta Da.

Argonianfixed.jpg.e4cd5769d08f9d82d0bb21c005b436ba.jpg

Cause seems to be something to do with Unique Player mod (or me).

All other races, M & F, were working just not the argonians. I can't understand why the body was the problem when it is the same body as every other race. A post from last August says the "argonian body problem has been fixed". 🤷‍♂️