[mod] Vanilla Framework Continued

Vanilla Framework Continued

Original Mod:

What is it?

Vanilla Framework is a small(ish) mod I made to replace all the vanilla portraits with ones that are a bit more interesting. I used a mod to remove them, and it did decent enough, but the little blighters always managed to sneak into my games through things like events or Pre-Sapients. Not the sort of thing you want after going through the trouble of installing all those other portrait mods.

What does it do?

At present it adds;

• 6 Aquatics sets
  • 7 Arthropoid sets
  • 7 Avian sets
  • 3 Fungoid sets
  • 24 Humanoid sets
  • 3 Lithoid sets
  • 8 Machine sets
  • 15 Mammalian sets
  • 5 Molluscoid sets
  • 9 Necroid set
  • 5 Plantoid sets
  • 12 Reptilian set
  • 7 Toxoid sets
  • 9 Kemonomimi sets
  • Crisis sets
  • Pre-Sapient
  • Enclaves
  • Event Races
  • Unique character/race instances

Total Mod Images: over 6,000

Requierments

All species DLC

There have been reports of the game crashing during empire creation and its related to not having 1 or more of the species dlc. If you are experiencing these issues, go into the mod's species class files (Stellaris\mod\Vanilla Framework\common\species_classes), copy the species names from the custom_portraits section (for example in the _100_VF_Necroid_classes file you would copy "Nec01" "Nec02" "Nec03" "Nec04" "Nec05" "Nec06" "Nec07"), then paste it into the custom_portraits section of a species class that does not require a dlc (or requires a dlc you have), such as _100_VF_Mammalian_classes, and finally delete the class file for the dlc you do not have (this would be _100_VF_Necroid_classes in the previous example).

Compatibility

• This mod is designed to be fully compatible with Lustful Void's gender traits but can still be played without them. 
  • This mod is incompatible with other mods that affect base games Species Classes
  • Compatibility patches will be made as mentions of conflicts arise.
  • This mod includes the following mods (they are part of VF Continued and should not be installed separately): VanillaFrameworkPortraits+ by EnviousEll, Vanilla Framework Events Updated by Railgunner2160.

1. By default, each species will use the Male and Female image sets, but when used with Lustful Void, you can also use the Futa images.
  2. When creating a species, select their appearance, then a gender trait (All Male/Female, Futa), then change the rulers appearance. 
  3. The rulers image won't update itself in the creation menu when you choose a gender trait, so you'll need to do that yourself.

Contributors

• EnviousEll (additional portraits)
  • Railgunner2160 (event code)
  • MalikilsHere (additional portraits)

Changelog

4/6/2024 - VF 2.31

• New species added using portraits from MalikilsHere.
  • Lopunny (19F, 20H, 19M)
  • Grim Reapers (20F, 12H, 15M)
  • Necromancers (17F, 12H, 10M)

3/4/2024 - VF 2.3b

• Minor patch regarding the Imperial shipset (thanks Railgunner 2160).

1/11/2024 - VF 2.3

• Integrated portraits from VanillaFrameworkPortraits+ (6 demon female, 23 demon futa, 7 viking female, 2 viking futa).
  • Integrated event code from Vanilla Framework Events Updated.
  • Discontinued compatibility patch support.

1/11/2024 - VF 2.2

• Used the unfinished machine files from the original VF to rework the machine species. The original machine species have been removed entirely.
  • ArthropoidFembots(12)
  • Femandroids(84): female robots that look similar to humans but are still distinctly robotic.
  • Fireball(44)
  • HumanCyborgs(20)
  • HumanoidFembots(75): female robots not associated with a particular species class.
  • HumanoidFutabots(40): futa robots not associated with a particular species class.
  • Humanoidmanbots(7): male robots not associated with a particular species class.
  • HumanSynths(11): female robots that look very similar to humans, not having any visible plating or mechanical components.
  • KemonomimiBots(17): female robots with tails and ears but rounded or flat faces.
  • MammalCyborgs(27)
  • MammalFembots(12)
  • MammalFutabots(18)
  • ReptileFembots(16)
  • SynthVaderFem(17)
  • SynthVaderMale(30)

1/4/2024 - VF 2.1b

• Fixed an issue with the species scope.

1/3/2024 - VF 2.1

• Updated portrait files to work with the newest version of stellaris.

Installation

Delete any old versions you might have installed

1. Download the latest Vanilla Framework.zip
  2. Extract its contents into Documents/ Paradox Interactive/ Stellaris/ mod
  3. Make sure there is a folder named "Vanilla Framework" and a file called "Vanilla Framework.mod"
  4. This mod should be the last active mod in your launchers mod load order
    • To install a patch, like the More Vanilla Patch, open the Vanilla Framework mod folder
    • Open "PATCH FOLDER"
    • Select relevant patch .txt file, then copy and paste into Vanilla Framework/common/species_classes

Vanilla Framework Continued

Vanilla Framework was not created by me, and if the original author requests that I take this mod down I will not hesitate to do so. The purpose of Vanilla Framework Continued is to keep the original Vanilla Framework mod working with the newest versions of Stellaris. There are too many species added for me to thoroughly test each one, so reach out if something does not seem to be working. This mod works with the Lustful Void monogender/futa traits, as well as the VF gender policies, however I do not support the base game monogender options.

FUTURE ADDITIONS:

I have no intention of finding new images to add to the mod, however if anyone else wants to collect some I will gladly add them to the mod.

Edited by ModderWhoModsThings
On 1/12/2024 at 6:44 PM, Smily1 said:

Nvm I got it working, seems like it didn't get along with Vanilla Framework +

I'm glad you got the mod working, you should always try loading a mod without any other mod when you are having problems with it to see if it's a compatibility issue with another mod. Right now the only mod that I will explicitly support compatibility for is Lustful Void, though if anyone would like any minor adjustments to be made to make VF Continued work with other mods I am open to suggestions.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:52 PM, Smily1 said:

When I took a look in the files, a bunch of the machine models won't load properly

Do you mean that you cannot get a preview of the DDS files in your file explorer? Because I've been having that issue, but it doesn't seem to affect the mod when they are loaded into the game. The ones without previews are the ones that I turned into usable DDS files myself, and as far as I can tell they have the exact same settings as the DDS files that were already present, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I looked into the VF Portrait+ mod, and unfortunately it is not at all compatible with VF Continued. VFP+ overwrites a bunch of species classes (hence the empty robot species), and uses different code for the portrait files that define individual species. Any sort of compatibility patch for the mod would basically require overwriting the entirety of VFP+'s code, so there's not really anything I can do on my end. I reached out to EnviousEll about merging the mods a while ago, but I have not received a response. If you really like the portraits he adds, the best solution would probably be to manually add the portraits from his mod into VFC by copying the image files into VFC's portrait model folders, and copying the portrait names from the VFP+ portrait files into the VFC portrait files.

8 hours ago, BabadzakiSan said:

Hello, only for me Lewd Galaxy patch don't work fine and create empty portrait slots?

Sorry, I overlooked the patches when updating the mod. Vanilla Framework Continues uses different code from the original Vanilla Framework, so the patches are likely out of date. I will look into updating the patches soon, but it may be a matter of weeks before I have time to work on an update.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:34 AM, Railgunner2160 said:

Question: Did you update the Paragon event files to account for the changes that have happened since the leader rework?

I have not touched anything but the regular portrait files so far, as I'm not familiar with how most other systems of stellaris works. Personally I have not noticed any problems with paragons while playing.

4 hours ago, ModderWhoModsThings said:

I have not touched anything but the regular portrait files so far, as I'm not familiar with how most other systems of stellaris works. Personally I have not noticed any problems with paragons while playing.

Since the introduction of Paragons and then the change in the leader system Paradox actually changed how the Leader Traits and Destiny Trait on the Paragons are spawned also Paradox made it so that the Paragon also have their veteran class pre-chosen. I released a updated set of the paragon event files that fixes the issue of Paragons not having their intended initial traits and Destiny Trait, you can feel free to include them if it makes things easier. 

Edit: while the outdated files don't prevent the Paragon's from spawning, it causes the Paragons to spawn without their updated leader class and veteran class alongside their updated leader traits and Destiny Trait and using their old pre-leader rework traits

Edited by Railgunner2160
On 2/5/2024 at 2:26 AM, Railgunner2160 said:

Since the introduction of Paragons and then the change in the leader system Paradox actually changed how the Leader Traits and Destiny Trait on the Paragons are spawned also Paradox made it so that the Paragon also have their veteran class pre-chosen. I released a updated set of the paragon event files that fixes the issue of Paragons not having their intended initial traits and Destiny Trait, you can feel free to include them if it makes things easier. 

Edit: while the outdated files don't prevent the Paragon's from spawning, it causes the Paragons to spawn without their updated leader class and veteran class alongside their updated leader traits and Destiny Trait and using their old pre-leader rework traits

Thanks, I've never worked with leaders before when modding so the whole system is unfamiliar to me. In the next update I will include the updated files from your mod and give you credit on the mod description.

13 hours ago, Nobbi85 said:

Hello and thanks for your work!!!

In the last Update (from Sunday 11.02.2024 or 02/11/2024), did you miss the PATCH files or they obsolete with the new Update?

All good to you and stay heathy

Here's the excerpt from the 2.3 changelog:

• Integrated portraits from VanillaFrameworkPortraits+ (6 demon female, 23 demon futa, 7 viking female, 2 viking futa).
  • Integrated event code from Vanilla Framework Events Updated.
  • Discontinued compatibility patch support
Edited by Railgunner2160
16 hours ago, Nobbi85 said:

Hello and thanks for your work!!!

In the last Update (from Sunday 11.02.2024 or 02/11/2024), did you miss the PATCH files or they obsolete with the new Update?

All good to you and stay heathy

I have decided to stop supporting the patch files, as I do not think that they are a very effective solution to compatibility. In my opinion, the best solution to make two portrait mods compatible is to simply overwrite one's species class files to include the species from the other mod. It is one of the simplest modding procedures in stellaris, you just need to copy and paste from one file to another (see the new requirements section). The previous solution of patch files means that you may only have one of the mods work with VF, while making changes manually will allow for unlimited mods to be made compatible. Since you already need to go into the mod's files to use the patches, it's not a big difference in difficulty to learn to add species to a species class yourself (as I said before, it is a very simple procedure). Just copy the species from one class file's custom_portraits section to another file and you're good to go. Feel free to ask for help here if you want to try this yourself but are struggling to get it to work. Also, while I will not be making any myself, if someone else were to make patch files I would be willing to add them back into the mod.

I'm not entirely sure what's happened, but in the overwhelming majority of my games the base portraits are still being prioritized over those that the mod puts in. I've gone through my mod list with a fine toothed comb, and ensured there aren't any others that affect the base game portraits. Even still, at least 9/10 species in the galaxies created are using the normal ones. Any idea what might be going on?

20 hours ago, merlin1234 said:

I'm not entirely sure what's happened, but in the overwhelming majority of my games the base portraits are still being prioritized over those that the mod puts in. I've gone through my mod list with a fine toothed comb, and ensured there aren't any others that affect the base game portraits. Even still, at least 9/10 species in the galaxies created are using the normal ones. Any idea what might be going on?

I will investigate this issue. Please ensure that this issue still occurs with ONLY Lustful Void and VF Continued activated. VF Continued should prevent base game species from being added to any species class thus preventing them from being used in the game, so the species class files are probably where the problem is caused. Are you able to see the base game species in the empire editor?

• 2 weeks later...

Small issue that was in the original Vanilla Framework is the missing Imperial shipset. Please add

# This species class should only be used for its ship set
IMPERIAL = {
    playable = { has_nemesis = yes }
    randomized = { always = no }
    graphical_culture = nemesis_01
}

to the 01_base_species_classes file to renable the Imperial shipset.

I am running into an issue where the Machine Vanilla portraits are being duplicated when using VF Continued.
I set up a play set with only this active (I used Calcs to see if they doubled with theirs as well) and when this is the only mod you have both the modded portraits and the default ones.

I am not sure if this was a problem in the OG VF, and I'm not familiar enough with the code to try find the duplication. 

Playset3.png

Playset.png

Playset2.png

**EDIT**
When having Calc's and this on together with Calc's below VF, you get both Calc's and then the Vanilla Portraits and then the VF ones
image.png.057d00139bbe299f0ab0d77de2b0532e.png

Though when looking at another race you get Calc's and then the VF 
image.png.fb9f3c78a88cf3d3ca17e3b44c7659de.png

So i think somewhere in the code its duplicating the Vanilla Machine portraits.

(I know they aren't really meant to be used together)

Edited by Salias

@Salias The base game robots are actually intentionally left in, Vanilla Framework has never removed any robot portraits, only the biological/lithoid ones. From the looks of it, the mod is working perfectly fine. Removing the base game robots could cause some issues that I do not currently know how to account for, such as setting new default robots for each species class.