Why does the XPMSE skeleton have such a ridiculous number of redundant, directly overlapping genitalia joint hierarchies occupying the same physical location? Like how and why did this happen, historically?

Well, some of it is likely just in case. Even the base skeleton, i.e the Skeleton and SkeletonFemale.nif having bones/nodes for wings or tails, even if the vanilla races don't have or need them.

You run an armor mod that equips a tail to a vanilla race, or a modded race that uses the mentioned nifs? Need the tail bones.

You run a mod that allows you to equip wings, or have them equipped to your character? Yep, need the wing bits, no matter what the mod allows you to do with them.

Unless the models for Wings or Tails are completely static, like mods that add small, unmoving Bat/Succubus wings, the animation will require those bones/nodes, or the game crashes - since the skeleton doesn't have the requisite bits to move.

Also what does "CME" even stand for? I have never seen a mesh that actually is weighted to those joints. They seem to serve no purpose at all other than getting in the way and being the direct cause of distorted "SlenderMan Hands" when you're trying to create an animation rig in Blender...

1 hour ago, Akira1364 said:

Also what does "CME" even stand for? I have never seen a mesh that actually is weighted to those joints. They seem to serve no purpose at all other than getting in the way and being the direct cause of distorted "SlenderMan Hands" when you're trying to create an animation rig in Blender...

CME probably stands for Character Making Extender, prototype additional slider sets (or now a part) of ECE.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, Akira1364 said:

As far as I can tell, most of these joints aren't actually used by any mod I've ever seen and don't appear to have any good reason to exist.

You would be incorrect, 1 and two there are literally six competing vaginas the mod accounts for, you not knowing about them is a you problem, not a skeleton problem.

Whether or not those mods are still supported is an author problem.