Guide to switch multiple MO profiles without having to run fnis/nemesis

TLDR version:

If you want to switch 2 or more profiles in Mod Organizer, each with mods requiring both fnis and nemesis, you may probably have to regenerate fnis/nemesis every time you switch profile or you may get T-pose. To avoid that, you will need to install separate/duplicated copies of fnis/nemesis, not just their outputs, for multiple MO profiles. Install one copy of fnis/nemesis for each profile and treat them as separate mods. It means you need to dedicate a separate or duplicate copy of fnis/nemesis mod folder with its executable tool and its output folder to each MO profile.

The long version:

Years ago when there was only fnis in oldrim, I found some instructions/comments on using duplicate copies of fnis in multiple Mod Organizer profiles to get rid of the need to run fnis again upon profile switch. I remembered if I didn't use duplicate copies of fnis folders, I would T-pose when I switched to another profile in old mod organizer for skyrim LE even though I used separate fnis output folders for each profile.

Recently, I had to build a new PC. So I decided to move onto 64bit skyrim AE on the new PC, starting again from scratch with all SE/AE mods. I wanted to set up two MO2 profiles again so that I can use different sets of mods, all of which require fnis/nemesis. I know we could do it with fnis but I wasn't sure about nemesis which was new to me or even about using both fnis and nemesis for each profile. Most of my google/reddit searches about nemesis turned up with conflicting information on running multiple MO2 profiles, basically with people saying nemesis has to be regenerated every time you use a different profile. Thankfully I found [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS here on LL so I learned how to use both in one profile. So I went ahead to try the same method of using duplicate copies to both fnis/nemesis for multiple profiles and it worked. I thought I would share my experience.

The example situation for using two MO2 profiles: in profile 1, you may want to set up all basic mods for your main playthrough including bathing, dancing, SL frameworks and basic OStimNG mods. Then in profile 2 you might like to set up with all profile 1's mods plus additional adult playthrough mods such as SL quest mods and OStimNG gameplay mods that you might want to try sometime but also want to keep out of your main save. Multiple profiles are also useful if you want to play conflicting mods with custom anims back and forth just by switching between profiles.

I'll list general procedure to set up both fnis and nemesis in two MO2 profiles so that you can just switch profiles back and forth and play right away without having to regenerate every time you switch profiles. If you only use nemesis, it'll be simpler and the general procedure should still work.

(1)

Install 2 copies of FNIS and Nemesis program/mod folders, preferably using profile name as part of mod names for easier identification. So there will be 2 copies each for fnis and nemesis mod folders. One way to do this is when you download fnis/nemesis, duplicate the installer/zip files and rename them using your profile name as part of the new name. Then install both copies of fnis and nemesis as separate mods to MO2. For example: in MO2, you may install "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 1", "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 2", "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 1", "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 2" as four separate mods.

Note: You only need one copy of FNIS creature pack, the one that you keep it on all the time following [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS. We will also keep it on for both profiles.

(2)

You also need 2 copies of output mod folders each for fnis and nemesis (example, "FNIS output for profile 1", "FNIS output for profile 2", "Nemesis output for profile 1", "Nemesis output for profile 2"). For now, you can just create empty folders under MO2's mod folder and restart MO2 so that they show up as mods. You can later set up in your executable list of MO2 to force fnis/nemesis to generate their output directly into those empty output mod folders instead of inside overwrite folder. Or if you prefer, you can just let it output to overwrite folder and create a mod from it but remember to name it for specific profile.

(3)

After both copies of fnis/nemesis and their output folders are installed, add 4 exec files shortcut to MO2 executable list (under Mod Organizer 2 > Tools > Executables) and give it different names preferably using profile name. Example, when you add one of the fnis, give name like "Generate FNIS for user for profile 1", then choose the executable file in "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 1\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe". When you add "Generate FNIS for user for profile 2" executable shortcut to MO, choose the executable file in "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 2\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe". Do the same for nemesis (add Nemesis Unlimited Behav Engine for profile 1 executable with path to "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 1\Nemesis_Engine\Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine.exe" and add Nemesis Unlimited Behav Engine for profile 2 executable pointing to "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 2\Nemesis_Engine\Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine.exe")

(4)

Run fnis/nemesis for profile 1. First, switch to profile 1 in MO2 and turn on the mods you want to use in that profile. Follow the instructions of [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS to run both fnis and nemesis together for one profile, probably starting from step 8 of that guide because you already installed fnis/nemesis (2 copies in fact) and set up four executable to MO. But it won't hurt to read earlier steps to verify what you did. If you are using OStimNG together with Sexlab creatures, read my Final Note near the end about how I disable OStimNG mods while I run fnis to avoid fnis warnings. While following [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS, make sure to tick the correct fnis/nemesis mods and their outputs for profile 1. Example, tick "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 1" and "FNIS output for profile 1". Then keep following that guide and turn on "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 1" and "Nemesis output for profile 1" at appropriate step. Keep the other copy of fnis/nemesis for profile 2 disabled (untick "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 2", "FNIS output for profile 2", "Nemesis Unlimited Behav Engine for profile 2", "Nemesis output for profile 2") while you works on profile 1.

After you finish following that guide and set up for profile 1, play the game and see if everything work in profile 1.

(5) 

Run fnis/nemesis for profile 2. In MO2, switch to profile 2 and enable different or additional set of mods that you want to keep separate from profile 1, disable fnis/nemesis and their outputs for profile 1 (untick "FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 1", "FNIS output for profile 1", "Nemesis Unltd Behav Eng for profile 1", "Nemesis output for profile 1"). Follow [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS again and turn on the fnis/nemesis/their outputs for profile 2 at appropirate steps. Basically, everything is the same as what you did for profile 1 except you will be using ("FNIS behavior 7.6 for profile 2", "FNIS output for profile 2", "Nemesis Unlimited Behav Engine for profile 2", "Nemesis output for profile 2") while keeping fnis/nemesis/output for profile 1 disabled.

Play the game to see if everything work in profile 2.

Now when you switch profile, you won't get T-pose nor will you need to run fnis/nemesis again. Just switch profile in MO2 and play different save right away with different mods. But of course, you will need to run fnis/nemesis again if you later want to add more mods requiring fnis/nemesis to either profile. But in that case, you only need to run the correct fnis/nemesis for that specific profile where you add more mods with additional custom anims that normally require fnis/nemesis.

Additional Tips:

Set nemesis executable files in both copies of nemesis to run in windows 7 compatibility mode. It will prevent nemesis from crashing before completion.

Also increase maximum numbers of anims for DAR and Nemesis in their ini files (SKSE\plugins\DynamicAnimationReplacer.ini and your two profiles' nemesis folders\Nemesis_Engine\nemesis.ini). I did 32k (or 0x7D00 in hex) for DAR and 60k for Nemesis because I have a lot of conditional and PCEA DAR folders. Remember to increase it in both copies of nemesis for your two profiles. I don't know about OAR or its limit as it wasn't available while I was modding.

Final Note:

I use both SL creature and OStimNG at the same time and that was my reason for using both fnis and nemesis. I follow [LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS. But I turn off OStims related animations mods (or any non-creature mod that specifically requires nemesis) while running FNIS to avoid fnis warnings and turn them back on before I run nemesis.

My profile 1 has all the regular gameplay mods as well as basic SL/SLAL framework and basic OStimNG related mods so that I only need to edit/export/select the anims and settings once and forget about them. Then my profile 2 has all profile 1 mods plus additional SL/Ostim gameplay mods, the ones to fool around but not to keep in my main save such as Thief, SL Solutions, Babo dialogue, Dealing with sexual daedra, OStim Lovers, etc. By using separate/duplicate copy of fnis and nemesis for each profile (mods as well as outputs), I can switch profiles to play without the need to run fnis/nemesis every time. I can also install mods recklessly in profile 2 without worry about ruining my main save because I use separate disposable saves for that profile and I can just switch back to profile 1 whenever I feel like continuing my main game.

I hope this is not confusing. I've attached screenshots of my two profiles and MO's executable list for reference. If there is already similar guide here on LL, feel free to delete my post as I don't search LL forum often and thus not sure if this is common knowledge.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sad to say this doesn't work for me, tho I tried only with nemesis. I think it might be caused by a mod that fixes error 5001. I made separate installs for it too but I think I would need to change some parameters for the file it swaps, which I have no idea how to do.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to do this

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 11:11 AM, M12Warthog said:

Sad to say this doesn't work for me, tho I tried only with nemesis. I think it might be caused by a mod that fixes error 5001. I made separate installs for it too but I think I would need to change some parameters for the file it swaps, which I have no idea how to do.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to do this

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I have no idea about error 5001 (Non-US Locale mod). Did you experience T-poses in one of the profiles? If you have Dogma Thief in your list, try removing it for that profile.

I recently added two more profiles to my MO2 in order to try out OStim Standalone and new body type. This time, Nemesis failed many times for the profile with Thief mod in it (error 6002: bad allocation). Maybe Thief has incompatibility with nemesis or maybe I had too many animations (51000 when it fails). After removing Thief, nemesis worked and my total animations was also reduced to ~42000.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, Zekundus said:

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I have no idea about error 5001 (Non-US Locale mod). Did you experience T-poses in one of the profiles? If you have Dogma Thief in your list, try removing it for that profile.

I recently added two more profiles to my MO2 in order to try out OStim Standalone and new body type. This time, Nemesis failed many times for the profile with Thief mod in it (error 6002: bad allocation). Maybe Thief has incompatibility with nemesis or maybe I had too many animations (51000 when it fails). After removing Thief, nemesis worked and my total animations was also reduced to ~42000.

I don't have Dogma Thief, never even heard of it.  I also don't go over 17K animations. I thought I could get it to work if I don't update the engine as it seemed to run nemesis fine without updating engine. That way I wouldn't have to run the fix, but before I could do that nemesis just died on my and everytime I add animations and run nemesis, I get CTD before the main menu fully loads. With how much issues is nemesis causing for me I'll pobably just wait for pandora.