Fixing see through artifacts on custom clothing

Bob Minos

I read a thread a couple weeks ago where someone here was working on custom clothing, only to get discouraged by the body, "turning semi transparent and allowing parts of the clothing to show through". I just can't remember which thread it was or who was having the problem, so I figured I should just post this directly as a new thread.

Hopefully this will be useful.

I asked Mr. Dave about this the other day, and he replied with the following:

"Yup... I've encountered it. The 'Sexy Stormcloak armor and the version with sleeves had that problem, as did a couple other mods I tried out. It's caused by the skin instances not being set up correctly.

There are a couple routes to fixing it:

1. When you export, make sure to include everything in one full 'export selected' move.

2. Then with NifSkope, click Spells-> Batch-> Make all skin partitions and hit OK. This should clear it up.

If the content you are looking at vanishes in NifSkope, close it and go back to your modeling program. You need to remove the root bone from your list of bones in your skin modifier. So select the item and look for anything in the bone list with names like _COM and remove it. Anything that isn't a physical body part that is necessary for the function of the specific item should be removed. Then re export and repeat step 2.

If you cannot export all items together and absolutely must copy/paste from one NifSkope window to another, go ahead and do so, then do step 2 after you have your content assembled in one NifSkope scene.

The number of bones weighted to any single vertex needs to stay at that default 4, and NifSkope will edit this for you, but it is better to edit weights and bones associated to the item yourself. Sometimes things can get a bit wonky in regards to clipping when allowing NifSkope to do it, especially with complex items such as clothing.

If they have any other issues, give 'em my email man, and tell them to get hold of me."

Archived