Need some Skyrim help!

Hey guys, so a few days back I was able to install a non-steam version of Skyrim onto my computer. I'm glad I have the game, but I have a few questions.

How do I change the graphics settings? In my install directory folder (with the exe launcher), there are several notepad documents with various graphical settings and preferences. However, I have no idea which one the game is using. How do I figure out, and how do I change the settings?

Also, some performance enhancing mods for skyrim edit a d3d9.dll, but my version did not have a d3d9.dll in the install folder in the first place. Where would that original d3d9.dll folder be?

One more thing, in the data folders, most of the data (except for the interference, string, and video) are in .bsa format, this makes it seemingly impossible to edit textures, animations, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

As for the D3D9.dll thing, I've used that too. It doesn't matter if you dont have that dll already, just drop it in your folder. I take it your using the "Skyrim optimised d3d9" or "ENBseries for SKyrim"?

Anyway from what I've seen, it doesn't seem like those performance "enhancers" do ANYTHING of the sort. I still have the same amount of lag, which isn't huge, but none of the advertised fixes happened for me, I still get MEGA lag spikes going into new areas outside. That sucks ass

Yea to change the graphics settings, like galgat said, the INI's are the most flexible way, but the easiest way is to just open the options in the launcher, then click "advanced". Also, the data files CAN apparently be edited. I've read that you need to download a BSA unpacker from somewhere. I THINK they'll work on Skyrim, even if you use one made for Oblivion or FO3, since its a universal filetype, although Im not 100% on that one.

Thank you both for the help!

However, the bsa unpacker doesn't seem to be working for me. I made a new folder on my desktop called "textures" and unpacked the contents of texture.bsa with the unpacker, but when I try to extract it, I get this error thing that gives me the options to "continue" or "quit" and when I press "continue" only 1 or none of the contents extract. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thank you both for the help!

However' date=' the bsa unpacker doesn't seem to be working for me. I made a new folder on my desktop called "textures" and unpacked the contents of texture.bsa with the unpacker, but when I try to extract it, I get this error thing that gives me the options to "continue" or "quit" and when I press "continue" only 1 or none of the contents extract. Any ideas as to what's going on?

[/quote']

you need to use the BSA unpack er from FOMM that one works to unpack everything. ( Fall outs answer to OBMM.

If you haven't got Fallout3 or New Vegas the FOMM might not want to instal. Fallout 3 Archiver ought to unpack the .bsa even if you don't have FO3 or NV. I tried it with a few textures and it worked for me.

eg.

just create dummy fallou3.exe file in skyrim folder, and it will install