Hi. I'm currently running an SE setup. Downgrade the .exe form AE to SE 1.5.97. The data files is AE and have all the AE CC content. I'm thinking of switching from vortex to MO. Before I do that and reinstall all my mods. Is there any reason to update to AE while I'm at it or should I just keep staying with SE? Does mods like Sexlab 1.65 AE offer any additional feature compared to Sexlab 1.63 SE? 

Any noticeable mods that is still not compatible with AE?

Edited by assassin394

After I updated myself, I noticed small improvements to things but nothing to noticeable. The extra content like fishing and survival mode, which are free, are welcomed additions. A lot of highly downloaded important mods have already been updated for AE by now so there's that as well. Moving to MO is also a good idea on your part for sure, MO is extremely good and user friendly. There are so many perks to the upgrade.

16 hours ago, The Mad Lad said:

After I updated myself, I noticed small improvements to things but nothing to noticeable. The extra content like fishing and survival mode, which are free, are welcomed additions. A lot of highly downloaded important mods have already been updated for AE by now so there's that as well. Moving to MO is also a good idea on your part for sure, MO is extremely good and user friendly. There are so many perks to the upgrade.

Thanks. I currently use MO for Fallout 4 and I like it a lot better than vortex. I have a lots of mods installed though and I'm too lazy to re setup everything. Maybe on the next playthrough or when I'm fed up with all the random crashes I have been getting I will start fresh with MO?

14 hours ago, AManNamedNorvile said:

1.6.353 is probably the best version to run, atleast from personal experience.

I respectfully disagree. I stayed in 1.6.353 for a long time, waiting for update on DAR. For me, 1.6.640 is the best, so far.

My only critic to AE over SE is about the number of uniwanted addons taking precious slots on my mod stack ... I would never install a fishing addon, for example ;)

2 hours ago, mhgm said:

I respectfully disagree. I stayed in 1.6.353 for a long time, waiting for update on DAR. For me, 1.6.640 is the best, so far.

My only critic to AE over SE is about the number of uniwanted addons taking precious slots on my mod stack ... I would never install a fishing addon, for example ;)

Cool, you're not the OP though, so there was absolutely no reason to reply the way you did. You could've just posted saying 1.6.640 is the best in your opinion without trying to tell other people you disagree with the version they play on lmao.

5 hours ago, AManNamedNorvile said:

Cool, you're not the OP though, so there was absolutely no reason to reply the way you did. You could've just posted saying 1.6.640 is the best in your opinion without trying to tell other people you disagree with the version they play on lmao.

Sorry, you're right. Re-reading my message, I sounded pedantic. I could just stayed with the 1.6.640 part.

This is my opinion, but I hate AE with an undying passion. I had been modding SE for roughly a year when all of the sudden, the stupid AE update came out and ruined everything. I tried it out just to see what it had to offer, and there was nothing worth caring about. My load order was broken so badly that I had to completely scrap it and, when I downgraded, had to rebuild it from scratch. Also, there are mods that still don't work with AE. So yeah, in my opinion, AE is the worst.

I'm running AE light, ie SE with the latest 1.6 build but none of the AE CC. AE bible at

made all the difference, I did have a bit of nightmare before I found the bible, very variable stability. Oh and MO2 is defo the way to get.

Edited by hitmanh

You should definitely switch to MO2 because of how convenient it is. For AE/SE:

Pros for AE are that:

1. More and more support everyday ( it would be nice if a modder finds a way to have 100% compatibility with SE mods)

2. Don't have to use the downgrade patcher tool to go to SE

Pros for SE are that:

1. Ton of existing mods (a lot of sexlab compatible mods)

2. Foreign modders are generally staying on SE, so if you ever branch out to get their mods you might want to stay on SE

I think AE is generally going to be better if you're starting out fresh. Only reason I'm on SE is that I have over 1000 mods downloaded and I don't want to go through the pain of updating everything

So for me the only reason to stay on 1.5.97 (AE) is that the minimap mod exists only for this version.
Otherwise, but now almost all mods run on Skyrim AE ... or, there are alternatives for it.

As soon as Minimap is adapted at some point to a current version, it will be changed.

18 minutes ago, furel said:

There are a consensus on which one is the most stable? I'm thinking to wipe out my installation and start from scratch

There isn't any major differences between 1.5 and 1.6+ executables. It's simply that this version goes up with every update and changes in SKSE are required. Using, or stop using, certain mods would have a bigger impact than the exe changes that have been made since 1.6, and the only way for you to find out this is to play and test your specific modlist for stability. Which version to pick is entirely dependent on the mods you want to use, if there's any mod that only works in 1.5.97 or 1.6+ versions you'll have to pick to favor said mod. If not, I'd personally go for the latest version since the amount of plugins released only for 1.6+ is only going to increase moving forward.

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 7:14 AM, assassin394 said:

Hi. I'm currently running an SE setup. Downgrade the .exe form AE to SE 1.5.97. The data files is AE and have all the AE CC content. I'm thinking of switching from vortex to MO. Before I do that and reinstall all my mods. Is there any reason to update to AE while I'm at it or should I just keep staying with SE? Does mods like Sexlab 1.65 AE offer any additional feature compared to Sexlab 1.63 SE? 

Any noticeable mods that is still not compatible with AE?

i upgraded to AE and most mods work really good. There are some mods that needs to upgrade to AE but thats was for me maybe 2 or 3 mods.

One mod that you can upgrade after getting AE is sexlab for AE.