Importing Assets from other Games

*With permissions- of course*

Thought I'd ask how you go about doing this, how hard it is to obtain permission, and what process or tools you might need to use to make them work in a Bethesda game.

I'm looking (right now) at voice files that I'd like to import and use for my PC in Skyrim and maybe put together in a mod. But I don't mind if you just want to talk about assets you'd like imported or your experiences doing so.

3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

*With permissions- of course*

Thought I'd ask how you go about doing this, how hard it is to obtain permission,

I don't have too much experience on this, but the above is the culprit for me when picking up assets from other games. Unless I find the assets belonging to a company on this list,

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Porting_content

Since I go a long arms length to do the right thing it means I always end up with CD project Red resources when it comes to other games. I've dug myself into the "terms of use" in more than one gaming company but always end up with the result: This is not doable. There's always a clausul you'll conflict with. Specially as Loverslab modder. I've asked three different gaming companies to use their assets in mods for Skyrim. None replied. Most likely your request ends up at the desk of someone who don't have the authority to say yes or they don't care or take time to answer you.

That said...  I doubt I ever will get in trouble for using other companies assets in Skyrim mods. I may (and likely) get banned from mod sites such as nexus/loverslab and similar for sharing mods with non permitted third party assets since they for sure wants their backyard clean. But I doubt you'll be facing prosecution from the rightholders. Maybe if you're really unlucky and it starts raining snowballs in hell you'll end up with a warning from them.

I guess you cannot be certain in any other way than to actually have those permissions. For me and the things I mod in Skyrim, this matter of permissions makes me pick up assets from sites such as sketchfab, cgtrader, smutbase, SFMlab, turbosquid etc. Even there you cannot be sure. I thought I had the correct granted licence to use a goblin creature until I discovered the exact same asset with another modder behind a paywall on a different 3D model site ?.

It's a spiderweb.

Edited by Thor2000
1 hour ago, Thor2000 said:

I've asked three different gaming companies to use their assets in mods for Skyrim. None replied.

Hmmm..... kind of what I figured. I've always followed the policy in my personal use that what they don't know about ain't gonna hurt nobody. Call it accident if you like, lol. But if intend to publish a mod using those assets, then I will seek the proper permission. I don't want to be another who gets their mod ripped down over some legal bs.

Edit: Ah, no worries! Looks like Bandai Namco might play ball.

Edited by KoolHndLuke