Anyone playing as Imperial (race)?

Hello,

I wanted to know if some people here are playing as imperials, since I may make a brand new game with a female imperial. (tanned girls ftw!) I will also surely join the stormcloaks as I think the Imperial Legion feels like... well.. imperialism. And I just disliked them since Morrowind they just want to control every single thing on Tamriel. Overall I hate their corruption, manipulation, and the false Emperors that came after Martin Septim.

But I was wondering, what could bring an Imperial to join the Stormcloaks? Will they say anything about this (beside Galmar when you join them), I know that Delphine (imperial woman) and Ulfric know and I suppose respect each other. 

As far as I can remember I didn't come to anything related to my race as a Redguard. As a Nord however you hear people sayin' "ah a fellow nord" or "you're a disgrace to your own kind!" and stuff like that. But nothing else about my race.

Oh, and I was wonderin' : can I make a pretty face with the vanilla presets for female imperial and Better Females mod? I don't remember seeing any really good looking female imperial face in Skyrim.

PS: can't play the game since I'm on holiday for a few days but I'm eager to play Skyrim again soon :D

But I was wondering, what could bring an Imperial to join the Stormcloaks?

There could be many reasons for that.

For example your heroine could have lost her parents as a young girl and was adopted by a Nord-family, learned their traditions and simply felt like having a home again. When the civil war started it was clear for her that she had to protect her new home, even though the enemies are her former compariots.

Religion also could be a good reason. The Imperials were forced by the Thalmoor to reduce the devines to 8 by declaring Talos to be none of them. Because she highly disagrees she feels herself forced to join the Stormcloaks in order to fight for her religion.

Last but not least:

It's simply because the Imperials were about to execute her in Helgen. She doesn't care for either of them, but she joins the civil war as a mercenary, and since the Stormcloaks never did anything to her, why not get her money from them?

I stumbled upon the word "Better Females". 

Don't use it. I repeat don't use that texture set. Its horrendous. I would rather pick the default CBBE texture than this disaster. Well that was when I opened the texture on gimp, curious from the rumors. Other than that life should be easier. 

The reasons why an Imperial decides to join the Stormcloak varies. From the beginning where you are sentenced to immediate execution by your fellow race in a location far from your homeland to abrupt reason that in the end, doesn't matter at all. It also isn't much surprising to see an Imperial join the opposite team because of obvious profit and some political reasons. In comparison, what do we learn from reality? As I stated, I would not be surprised if in a real war, a person from a certain ethnicity goes against his group by joining the enemy. Why? Cause well... Reasons?

Oh yea and also: Corruption. Although I'm not really sure about that except you mentioned it.

Man I really should learn to type faster...

Due to my lack of confidence in my preference of facial features, I've never really shown my character to the public. But to make things simple, this "character" you see in the attachment is a Imperial. She's been on my laptop since a good 3 months after the release of Skyrim and since has suffered a multitude of save bloats and glitches that force the game to not progress without console commands. Now her save stays as my one and only test save where I experiment mods I've downloaded from various sites. Sorry if she looks disappointing to you.

post-55790-0-11018900-1377512124_thumb.png

There could be many reasons for that.

For example your heroine could have lost her parents as a young girl and was adopted by a Nord-family, learned their traditions and simply felt like having a home again. When the civil war started it was clear for her that she had to protect her new home, even though the enemies are her former compariots.

Religion also could be a good reason. The Imperials were forced by the Thalmoor to reduce the devines to 8 by declaring Talos to be none of them. Because she highly disagrees she feels herself forced to join the Stormcloaks in order to fight for her religion.

Last but not least:

It's simply because the Imperials were about to execute her in Helgen. She doesn't care for either of them, but she joins the civil war as a mercenary, and since the Stormcloaks never did anything to her, why not get her money from them?

That's quite some good reasons, thanks ! I like to make some kind of story for my character^^

I stumbled upon the word "Better Females". 

Don't use it. I repeat don't use that texture set. Its horrendous. I would rather pick the default CBBE texture than this disaster. Well that was when I opened the texture on gimp, curious from the rumors. Other than that life should be easier. 

The reasons why an Imperial decides to join the Stormcloak varies. From the beginning where you are sentenced to immediate execution by your fellow race in a location far from your homeland to abrupt reason that in the end, doesn't matter at all. It also isn't much surprising to see an Imperial join the opposite team because of obvious profit and some political reasons. In comparison, what do we learn from reality? As I stated, I would not be surprised if in a real war, a person from a certain ethnicity goes against his group by joining the enemy. Why? Cause well... Reasons?

Oh yea and also: Corruption. Although I'm not really sure about that except you mentioned it.

Man I really should learn to type faster...

What's so wrong with that texture? The makeup makes the faces more pretty imo, but as I'm going to use the SevenBase body I think I'll download SG textures.

About the imperial corruption, you see that among their soldiers and leaders ( in Morrowind a soldier killing a citizen and hidding the body because he could have lost his job in the Legion otherwise, in Oblivion as far as I remember the imperials were alright, in Skyrim : a politician asking you to act against the Empire so he will get a higher position or the cousin of the Emperor asking for loads of money for someone to retrieve some imported merchandise etc.).

EDIT: nice character here, I was just worried about ugly eyes and noses, but it seems I can do something good with that race after all ^^

Just thought of possibly one of the simplest reasons for an Imperial to switch sides: the elves. Could easily reason it as being disgusted that the Empire has decided to turn away from one of the most important, if not the most important, figure in the history of the Empire and aren't seemingly doing a thing about these haughty jerks telling them what to do. I guess there's the possibility that the Empire is biding their time and waiting for an opportunity to push back the Aldmeri, but even with that your could have your character be all "Nope, still too slow. Must slaughter elves nao!

One thought. You said empire is imperialism. Do you realy think stormcloaks aren't?
They are little imperialistic wannabees. Look what Ulfric did in Markarth. 
As usually in history, big Empires are often supported, in each subregions, by minorities who, quite correctly, think they will be badly oppressed if their regional majority gains the upper hand.

So as you see the lines of good and bad are quite blurry, here.
As an Imperial you'll find no problem joining the stormcloaks (as an argonian too. That's maybe It's a bit of a shortcoming) and you may have plentiful of good reasons. 
But I think bethesda made a really good jobs in the civil war. Choosing a side is not so simple.
At first maybe you may feel for the Stormcloacks. After all  the imperials were going to chop you with them. You see the torture chambers. Then there is the epic of the small vs the big. The religious persecutions. To an american, it may looks like the colonies vs the britons. 
But then maybe you may reconsider the logic of the empire. The egoistical ambitions of Ulfric. The nationalistic side of the stormcloaks. The pointless notion of one place one race. The perils of disunited something than can't be united again. And then, after the "nord goes to the nords", what about if they start saying the "Rift goes to the rifters" or "Winterhold for winterhold"?
But that's of course it's my point of view.
All in all, I do think your final choice will let you know something more about you.  It will really reveal something of your actual political stance.
So.... Good work bethesda.

One thought. You said empire is imperialism. Do you realy think stormcloaks aren't?

They are little imperialistic wannabees. Look what Ulfric did in Markarth. 

As usually in history, big Empires are often supported, in each subregions, by minorities who, quite correctly, think they will be badly oppressed if their regional majority gains the upper hand.

So as you see the lines of good and bad are quite blurry, here.

As an Imperial you'll find no problem joining the stormcloaks (as an argonian too. That's maybe It's a bit of a shortcoming) and you may have plentiful of good reasons. 

But I think bethesda made a really good jobs in the civil war. Choosing a side is not so simple.

At first maybe you may feel for the Stormcloacks. After all  the imperials were going to chop you with them. You see the torture chambers. Then there is the epic of the small vs the big. The religious persecutions. To an american, it may looks like the colonies vs the britons. 

But then maybe you may reconsider the logic of the empire. The egoistical ambitions of Ulfric. The nationalistic side of the stormcloaks. The pointless notion of one place one race. The perils of disunited something than can't be united again. And then, after the "nord goes to the nords", what about if they start saying the "Rift goes to the rifters" or "Winterhold for winterhold"?

But that's of course it's my point of view.

All in all, I do think your final choice will let you know something more about you.  It will really reveal something of your actual political stance.

So.... Good work bethesda.

Well put. It's a lesser of two evils situation.

Because they're almost too proud, I don't think they would have accepted any Imperial in the first place. Even if they did, that person better learn to sleep with one eye open and weapon in hand. After playing Skyrim the first time with a character that sided with the Stormcloaks, I never really felt they had formal discipline and were more of a volunteer army, so things among the ranks could have the potential to get wild (There's a great idea for an erotic story, just make sure to pay me my royalties if you use it)

As for using SG Textures, I can attest to it being very good. (My Imperial is second from the right in black armor in my sig, if you were curious).

You also forgot the forever continuing bugs, glitches and errors cause by the horrible engine limitation(poor console port I say) and patches that do the opposite of what they're suppose to do. Skyrim is like the equivalent of Jurassic Park of bugs. In the end Bethesda abandoned the updates by stopping at 1.9(so close yet so far) deeming further updates to be: irrelevant. At least they realized the problem but they left the 1.9 patch to be "immersion breaking". PC and NPCs of Skyrim have lost their ability to "blink" due to the patch that disable the flexible face morph (using console commands). Skyrim is so far the only game I can think from the top of my mind to be reverted to the previous patch(1.8). 

It was totally worth spending half of their production on a cliffhanger story, where after you defeat either side: Nothing happens. And especially the DLCs were satisfying. With Dragonborn allowing you to travel to the Oblivion realms of a certain Daedric prince, it certainly wasn't shorter than Dawnguard which even now reminds me of Twilight.

+Patch names are so damn long.

+Bethesda informed on their twitter that they were not literally "abandoning" Skyrim. But... Its preferable for them to just admit it. Let the modders take over the credit.

+My nips are wet.

I'm getting off topic. Sorry for trying to make a argument.

What I'm greatly disconcerted is that Skyrim was made in mind of the larger audience or for the greater profit and that the profit they got from Skyrim is currently being used to develop ESO. First optimistic, but now really concerned, my impression of ESO is at the ditch alongside with my frustration from how Skyrim was manged.

Oh I tried to play with both sides, and I just don't like Tullius or Rikke, unlike Galmar or Ulfric they don't even recognize you as Dragonborn, but as a soldier who blindly follow orders "MOVE IT SOLDIER" (even if you're legate lol). And the fact that Ulfric and Galmar have great voices actors, I just feel really bad when I kill Ulfric. However killing Tullius ? Hoho, no remorse. I don't what, it's not the voice actor, but I can't stand this character and I always want to slap Rikke's face. :dodgy:

As for Stormcloaks being imperialist wannabees, I think the Stormcloaks just want Skyrim to be ruled by Nords, after all it's their land and as a non-american I think they can perfectly claim their land to be ruled by them and not by some puppet controlled by the leaders from Cyrodiil.

Hell, the Empire even sold Hammerfell to the elves, I truly think they just care for themselves and Cyrodiil, the other provinces are mostly here for benefits now. At least, the redguards had balls and fought the altmers and pushed them back to their isles lol.

About the Markath incident, I can't really say if Ulfric did kill elders, children, men and women because many npcs and books have their version of the story. In my opinion, I don't think Ulfric would have done that, especially knowing that he was acting under the orders of the Empire which then betrayed him and their promise.

However, the Imperial ending felt like a more "happier" ending ( maybe because you don't kick Balgruuf in the Blue Palace's undergrounds in Solitude). But on the other hand the Stormcloaks side felt more epic. Both side have pros & cons. Unlike New Vegas, where the Legion was clearly a bad/evil choice, in Skyrim both groups are grey.

By the way, nice character Nixon, is that face a preset or did you have to change some parts of the face ?

Why not just don't care for any. If you have a hard time thinking who deserves your ass  might (ehem)... you could just as well fight them both if they piss you off.

You're a legend why should you bend your knee to anyone? It's not like there are any major consequences for winning the war with a side, Thalmor are still there without suffering any damage. You would do their job in further weakening the Empire with more casualties and wasted resources on a petty war, in special if Stormcloaks win. True, Thalmor wants to avoid a Stormcloak victory, but it's not like Skyrim alone can destroy them without the Empire's help. Nords' racial oppressions also won't help in finding foreign recruits for their army.

Oh I tried to play with both sides, and I just don't like Tullius or Rikke, unlike Galmar or Ulfric they don't even recognize you as Dragonborn, but as a soldier who blindly follow orders "MOVE IT SOLDIER" (even if you're legate lol). And the fact that Ulfric and Galmar have great voices actors, I just feel really bad when I kill Ulfric. However killing Tullius ? Hoho, no remorse. I don't what, it's not the voice actor, but I can't stand this character and I always want to slap Rikke's face. :dodgy:

As for Stormcloaks being imperialist wannabees, I think the Stormcloaks just want Skyrim to be ruled by Nords, after all it's their land and as a non-american I think they can perfectly claim their land to be ruled by them and not by some puppet controlled by the leaders from Cyrodiil.

Hell, the Empire even sold Hammerfell to the elves, I truly think they just care for themselves and Cyrodiil, the other provinces are mostly here for benefits now. At least, the redguards had balls and fought the altmers and pushed them back to their isles lol.

About the Markath incident, I can't really say if Ulfric did kill elders, children, men and women because many npcs and books have their version of the story. In my opinion, I don't think Ulfric would have done that, especially knowing that he was acting under the orders of the Empire which then betrayed him and their promise.

However, the Imperial ending felt like a more "happier" ending ( maybe because you don't kick Balgruuf in the Blue Palace's undergrounds in Solitude). But on the other hand the Stormcloaks side felt more epic. Both side have pros & cons. Unlike New Vegas, where the Legion was clearly a bad/evil choice, in Skyrim both groups are grey.

By the way, nice character Nixon, is that face a preset or did you have to change some parts of the face ?

I don't think it stops at the desire to rule themselves. If Windhelm is any indication, then Ulfric doesn't care much about anyone else other than Nords, and would seem content to let them live in poverty. It always seemed like he had a noble cause to fight for, but ultimately forgot it and was carrying on the war for worse reasons.

I did quick brushing up on the Great War, and the Empire wasn't in a good position beforehand. The Thalmor got Valenwood and Elsewyr years before the war started, Hammerfell was busy with its own Civil War, Morrowind was (and still is) pretty much a wasteland and only High Rock, Skyrim and Cyrodiil were doing okay financially. 

The Thalmor pretty much struck at Hammerfell and Cyrodiil simultaneously snatching up cities left and right. The two factions in Hammerfell  managed to stop their bickering and did help deal a large blow to Thalmor forces in Hammerfell.

Shortly after the Thalmor went all-in and Zerg rushed the Imperial City. The Emperor made the decision to push out of the city as the Thalmor broke through the rear into the city. The elves looted and pillaged, and probably raped as well. It was only after he left the city and gathered up his remaining forces was he able to take out the Thalmor forces from Cyrodiil.

It was after all this he decided to sign the Concordat, and you know what I can't blame him. It was a lose-lose situation either way, and would only wind up in even more bloodshed regardless of what he did.

As for my character, it was a lot of tinkering with facial sliders and with ECE (Enhanced Character Edit)

To me, my own people almost cutting my head off just because would be justification enough

Yeah that would be more then enough motivation for me to say Screw the Empire and join the Stormcloaks.

Indeed, I mean, seriously "He/She's not on the list" "Cut 'em anyway!"

Yeah, I'd be done.

Well, if you want to play as someone truly loyal to the Empire and avoid the whole dilemma of almost being beheaded, you could just use any alternative start mod that lets you begin somewhere else than Helgen. Although it does make for some interesting role-play if you don't. For example, you might play a character who is super-lawful and thinks, "I would have done the same in that situation".

If you've already done both sides, why not try out the Civil War Overhaul mod on the Nexus. It changes the dynamic of battles and makes the Civil War a bigger part of the overall Skyrim experience. Especially after you've gotten the Jagged Crown for either side.

You should be careful with that. While it's true that it improves the Civil War questline (the way it was meant to be before Beth said to themselves: ah fuck it! Just cancel all the cool stuff and give them some shitty tombs and stormcloak bases to raid) it's extremely, if not game-breakingly,  bugged for some people.

My first play through was actually done as an Imperial. I felt it would be the most appropriate race to play as, given that the entire line of Septim emperors were all Imperials as well. Surely it would make more sense if the Dragonborn (which might also be the next legitimate heir to the throne) was also an Imperial. A Nord would also be the next logical choice for obvious reasons.

I sided with the Empire mainly because I value law and order above all else, aside from the fact that Ulfric's argument for starting the war is pretty pathetic to begin with. Can't stand his nor Galmar's voice either. Besides, with another war with the Thalmor looming over the horizon, Ulfric's little rebellion army will get completely destroyed by the high elves and the army of other subjugated races supplementing their ranks. The Empire is really the only well-equipped, drilled, and cohesive fighting force around. Really they're Tamriel's only hope of stopping the Thalmor.

Oh, and I think I saw somewhere in-game that Delphine is actually a Breton, not an Imperial. :P

I play as a redguard and havnt joined either side. Both Choices were flawed so I banned together all my followers to form a small army and took the fight to the thalmor. My character frees any nords being escorted by imperials and thalmor alike. Started quest with ralof so its like a gift to him.

Tho I am to starting a playthrough with imperial... she will likely join haddvar but later may change sides after discovering imperial corruption to have her killed and try to take control of imperial forces in skyrim by using stormcloaks.

Mmm. Imperials. My first game of Skyrim back in 2011 was as an Imperial woman. I made her look older as the game went on, quests were completed and ended up marrying her to the tavernkeeper in the village just below High Hrothgar. They made a lovely couple. think I have that save left somewhere.

My first play through was actually done as an Imperial. I felt it would be the most appropriate race to play as, given that the entire line of Septim emperors were all Imperials as well. Surely it would make more sense if the Dragonborn (which might also be the next legitimate heir to the throne) was also an Imperial. A Nord would also be the next logical choice for obvious reasons.

I sided with the Empire mainly because I value law and order above all else, aside from the fact that Ulfric's argument for starting the war is pretty pathetic to begin with. Can't stand his nor Galmar's voice either. Besides, with another war with the Thalmor looming over the horizon, Ulfric's little rebellion army will get completely destroyed by the high elves and the army of other subjugated races supplementing their ranks. The Empire is really the only well-equipped, drilled, and cohesive fighting force around. Really they're Tamriel's only hope of stopping the Thalmor.

Oh, and I think I saw somewhere in-game that Delphine is actually a Breton, not an Imperial. :P

Doesn't help that Ulfric easily came off as a racist.

Sure, they should be able to worship which deity they choose, and sure the Thalmor are a bunch of intolerant pricks as well for enforcing their brand of morality, but, I;ll say they don't force people to live in slums just because they aren't nords.