SL reposition data saved to save file or hard save to external file?

3 hours ago, traison said:

Looks to me like it is stored in string sslBaseAnimation.Registry, inherited from sslBaseObject. AnimationProfile_*.json if it's exported. So... both?

Hmm... Ok, so natively it's embedded into each savefile and/or unless intentionally ?also? exported to a json object?

Did I interpret that correctly? 

So in lieu of having exported to json (afaik requires a manual act performed from the SL MCM), all repositioning data would be local to a given save file?

(I've seen the MCM entry re: export json, but I've never really paid it much mind.)

I don't mean to be obtuse. My codespeak is lacking these days. 

28 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Yes, the first time you edit an animation position SL generates that json file. If you store it somewhere you can reuse it for other saves.

Ok so SL generates an external json object on first use. Question is., does it automatically write to and read from that file?

Here's my situaiton:

I have two players one is ~5'1" tall the other 6 ft. Both are female. The first one has extensive Racemenu skeletal adjustments

It seems like I am continuously needing to repositioning each, as if using either affects the other.

Player 1 encounters animation sequence Z

Realworld player makes adjustments to fix incorrect actor positioning

Player 1 later encounters animation and no repositioning required.

Eventually player 2 vector is played.

Same animation Z is encountered.

Player 2 later encounters animation and no repositioning required.

Player 1 vector is used once again weeks later.

Wait. I have to reposition again. Why?

Player 1 later encounters animation and no repositioning required.

sometime later, player 2 is played once more

Well gd it. the actors are off again. 

Edited by anjenthedog

The thing that's making this confusing for me is that there's a generic variable named Registry, which is sometimes used for animation offsets, and sometimes it holds a filename. The animation offset adjustments always call into native functions (ie. it disappears into the SL dll black box). Also the name of the animation profile file is passed to the dll as well, again disappearing into a black box. I can't really spot any explicit mentions of animation offsets in the function that exports SL's settings (MCM). That said and considering what Just Don't said, this may be more a case of the json file being updated constantly (or on game load/quit). But technically the answer is still probably both, because there appears to be something in the Registry variable, at least at some point during execution.

Might be helpful if you could be more specific about what you're trying to achieve here. I get the feeling, to have a definitive answer to this is going to require dissecting most of SL's script, and potentially its dll.

Edit: Posted this at the same time as your previous post. In that case I would go by the assumption right now that AnimationProfile_*.json should be character-specific; ie. make it a new mod in MO2 and have each character have their own MO2 profile with the appropriate json mod selected.

Edited by traison

Thank you for your insight traison. That sounds like a sensible solution.

And yes, Sorry for the convoluted posting. >>> It seems like I have to reposition the same named sequences again, once I've used another player character and adjusted theirs.

And yes I don't use profiles (Vortex offers the ability, but I haven't used it, just new games/new player characters on the same profile). I guess I'll need to remedy that.

Edited by anjenthedog

Once a json file is created for that profile new info will be written into that file. And it's per profile, if you don't have SL profiles it defaults to 1, so if you're using multiple characters you may want to look into creating separate profiles for each one of them. That's not how I play (I usually do one character at a time) and I lack the technical knowledge, but from years using SL I can tell you that as long as that file exists somewhere in your mod manager your specific tweaks will be preserved.

13 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

if you don't have SL profiles it defaults to 1, so if you're using multiple characters you may want to look into creating separate profiles for each one of them.

Oh, so not game profiles, SL profiles. Well that makes life easier. 

Anyway, time s for me to start using the json export import stuff. 

thanks Just Don't.

Between you and traison, I think I have my head clearer now. Much appreciated. To the both of you.

2 hours ago, traison said:

The thing that's making this confusing for me is that there's a generic variable named Registry, which is sometimes used for animation offsets, and sometimes it holds a filename.

yeah...I was trying to suggest something similar when I asked "does it automatically write to and read from that file?" 

My coding skills are beyond "rusty" at this point, but it triggers a vague memory of using C+ pointers to direct/buffer external data repository transfers (or something like that. like I said, beyond rusty... ack back in the 1980s)

Edited by anjenthedog

<<< vortex, so MO2 solutions won't help poor widdle me ;)

Anyway, I think I'm getting the overall gist of the problem. It seems that unless you separate either the json instance or the game profile, (which apparently leads to essentially the same  - ie, maintaining a separate json "actors positions" db for each "treated" player instance), then each new game's "player" is operating off the same shared database file for the SL positioning. Which is why two disparately sized players would encounter mispositioning on previous "tuned" animation sequences.

So by using different game profiles, you isolate the player instances and any repositioning for one will not affect the other.

OR... 

You export json for a given player, and remember to load its file each time you play, so any further tweaking is saved to its unique db dfile.

Is that about right or am I still confused?  Edit: I was still confused. But I got better...

Anyway, I'm all for the profiles solution, as it forgoes any need to remember about loading or saving a file, and it seems a nice, tidy method, but for the short term I'm going to see how the SL json game plays out. I've been saving learning "profiles" and "collections" (a grouping tool vortex offers) for when I finally decide to update all my basics, since I'm still operating off what most would consider to be a "2019" level skyrim

Edited by anjenthedog
9 hours ago, Just Don't said:

And it's per profile, if you don't have SL profiles it defaults to 1, so if you're using multiple characters you may want to look into creating separate profiles for each one of them.

Here I'm talking about SL profiles. You don't need separate MO or Vortex profiles for this.

Not sure if I was clear enough on my original reply.

Sexlab has 5 different slots for animation profiles (you can switch between them in the "Animation Settings" top-right side of the sexlab MCM). When I say "if you don't have profiles it defaults to 1" I mean the json you see being generated corresponds to the slot 1 of these 5. If you have character A and save any animation adjustments, these will go in slot 1. Now move to character B, as soon as SL is installed in game change your animation profile to 2, 3, 4 or 5 (anything but 1 which is already in use). All the animation adjustments you do in character B will be saved in the json for this slot 2 or whatever you choose. Meanwhile all the animation adjustments you made to character A will be preserved in the json for slot 1, if you play with character A your SL should be set to use this slot 1 so all further tweaks for that character will be saved in the profile 1 json. Same thing goes for your character B, all changes from that point on will be saved in its corresponding animation profile slot.

Yep, I understood you Just Don't . That's what I'm trying first. And yes, I also got your reference to "profile" and if you don't switch, then everyone shares. 

Ah. but what I just realized, is that once a unique profile slot is selected for each player vector, and a new save is made, it should be automatic from there on out. Thanks for that one too.

Edited by anjenthedog