Confusion regarding SSE and the new(ish) AE, and mods

Until recently, I've been clinging to Oldrim, but thought I'd try out this new-fangled SE version and see how that works out. But looking around, it appears the Anniversary Edition update (that I think is required to do, for steam users), broke a lot of stuff? Some mods have AE versions, some say they work for regular and AE, and others don't even mention it. Just what did AE do to the game, is it limited to buying the DLC, and what mods/mod types are messed up by it? I am SO out of the loop on this.

6 hours ago, lindazana said:

Just what did AE do to the game, is it limited to buying the DLC, and what mods/mod types are messed up by it?

It's not limited to buying the DLC. Along with said paid DLC there was an update.

1. Any update (this is since 2016 for Skyrim SE) changes the game executable (SkyrimSE.exe, you can check yours by going to this file Properties->Details and check the "Product version").
  2. Anytime there is a change to the executable SKSE needs to be updated.
  3. Finally, most SKSE plugins (dll files from mods) must be updated too to account for the aforementioned changes.

So which mods work and which don't is a matter of file types. The only file type that requires special attention are dll files (again, as it's been the case since 2016). No other files require changes, so texture mods, animations, skeletons and so on can work as it is (as long as the mod doesn't contain a dll file, in which case said file will likely need to be recompiled for the latest SKSE releases). Usually, like in 99% of the times, when a mod has a dll and it requires a specific executable or SKSE version it will be explicitly detailed in the mod description or file info. That's the end of it, remember a few numbers, check if the mod mentions said numbers and/or contain a dll.

You should avoid automatic updates, as always. This and more info was discussed here before the AE update was even released.

You can downgrade your game to a version (skyrimse.exe version 1.5.97) prior to any AE stuff. Same as you'd do regardless of downgrading or not, you'll need to verify if any of the mods you want to use contain a dll file and if so get the files corresponding to 1.5.97 and or the matching SKSE release for said game executable. You don't need to downgrade though, you can stay in the current version (still avoiding automatic updates) and get all/most of your mods for this latest version. Some mods might not be available at the moment, my understanding is that most mods have been already updated. You can use threads like the Compatibility Tracking (blue link in my signature, also pinned thread in the SE forum section) to check available mods and known workarounds.

Edited by Just Don't

Ok, so older mods should work just fine so long as none of the file requirements are SKSE. If they do need it, dig in and find out if that mod needs it, or a different required mod does that HAS been updated. Thank you! I was very confused as to the whole compatibility-labeling thing. I'll take a look at your linked threads and start building up a thing now (waiting on a new computer, but no reason i can't pre-download the mods to an external drive, both to save time, and ensure I don't lose any that get deleted)

In case you install something and it doesn't work and you suspect its "dll", then:

- SKSE plugins, .dll files, are installed into Data\SKSE\Plugins folder.

- Check whats there, and youll know what needs to be upgraded.

Most SKSE plugins have been upgraded to latest version of Skyrim binary. Some have "functional replacement". Not na upgrade, but a new mod that does the same thing. Many have "NG" at the end of their name.

12 hours ago, lindazana said:

Ok, so older mods should work just fine so long as none of the file requirements are SKSE.

No, not mods requiring SKSE. Mods containing a SKSE plugin (the dll file). These are different things.

Most mod managers will throw a very explicit message after you crash because you tried to load the game with an outdated/incompatible dll. Just keep an eye out for any mod mentioning specific executable or SKSE versions in the description/file info, that's the best way to install mods anyways.