Steam Summer Sale; people whining and I can't buy shit.

Kamen Rider Kuuga

Well, I've been on the fence on purchasing it ever since it came out, hah. I'm attempting buy as few games as possible during the sale. Just what I really want/am interested in. So far: Don't Starve, Sleeping Dogs, and Borderlands 2. I might just use your post as the last little nudge to go ahead and grab it. (Though I was leaning toward that anyways. ;) )

I love it so much; it's almost as if they made a real-time version of a tabletop wargame.

Edit: Oh yeah, good "guideline" I've found for the Steam Sale. Focus on your wishlist. If it's on your list, feel free to think about buying it. If it's not, think twice. At least that's what I'm doing. :)

Lets see...I have...one-hundred fifty-four items on my wishlist.

I really can't buy sh*t. I mean i have the money, but parents doesn't allow me to get my credit card :(

Are the steam cards available in your country? I saw at gamestop (Picking up a league card for my sister :P I stopped buying games there the minute I upgraded my comp, hah.) that they have 20 and 50 dollar steam cards available there.

I love it so much; it's almost as if they made a real-time version of a tabletop wargame.

Got a question for you... in the trailers, they have some radio chatter that sounds amazing. I watched about an hour or so of let's play footage, and it seemed that it is not actually in the game. Just the standard RTS voice overs. Is there any of that radio chatter-type stuff in the game? Doesn't really make me dislike the game, it's just one thing I would have loved to hear, hah.

Seriously, I have this radio station on my desktop. I love that shit.

Lets see...I have...one-hundred fifty-four items on my wishlist.

... Still. 

The radio chatter is mostly just standard RTS stuff, confirming orders and such. But one really nice thing is units from each nation in the game speak their native languages rather than everyone speaking English with different accents. A few of the voice clips are amusing, especially the Russian helicopter pilots humming Wagner, but you're not going to run into any scripted conversations and such. The story for the game is purely text-based and kinda subdued in favor of gameplay and peppered with lots of random elements.

Thanks. Sounds just fine. :)

It has me thinking... I wonder if it would be possible to take those dialogs and mod them into XCOM, rather than having the international fighting force with seven barely distinguishable english voices. Though that's going a bit off topic...

I really can't buy sh*t. I mean i have the money, but parents doesn't allow me to get my credit card :(

Are the steam cards available in your country? I saw at gamestop (Picking up a league card for my sister :P I stopped buying games there the minute I upgraded my comp, hah.) that they have 20 and 50 dollar steam cards available there.

I don't think they have them in the Philippines. I would of thought if they did she would of used one by now.

Well... seems almost everything in today's daily sale is something that's already been on sale. So... Kinda boring. Oh well, hah. Anyone find any decent "hidden sales" that are just hanging around, not on the front page?

The Deponia series is 75% off for the summer sale. It's on my wishlist, but still debating if I should get it.

Also, another on my wishlist, Sword of the Stars II is on sale for 50% off. Though I'm still not sure if I like the changes to the way fleets are handled, enough to where I'm not sure if I even want to get the game. But... it just looks so damn pretty...

I can't seem to get the hang of SotSII; but you're right, it's very pwetty.

I loved the first, even if I only played a few games or so. I think Angry Joe said it best when he talked about how it really captured the "something more out there" of space. It wasn't just you vs the other players. There were a multitude of other strange, alien threats waiting for you in the void, grand menaces that could threaten any and everyone. In watching just a little bit of play from Sword of the Stars II, that's another thing that slightly worries me. It seems that some of the... personality of that has gone. In the first, when you encountered... I think it was specters or something, you (as humans, who I play as!) would hear your crew say "commander... do you smell something... sweet?" and it was AWESOME. All of the encounters had flavor dialog like that, that really made it feel like... I dunno. Like I was in an episode of Star Trek or something. In the second, again I'll admit I've only seen a little bit of gameplay, but it seems like it's just you encounter the specters. You fight them. The end. It's just another enemy. I know it's a small thing... but that extra bit of dialog of "There's something coming from the planet!" or whatever was said when the colony trap came up and snagged your ship just made the game feel right. That, along with the... ridiculously overcomplex fleet system... I just don't know. :\ What's wrong with how it was in the first? You have your fleet, and then you move it. Now it's "you can choose to send your fleet to attack here but you have to choose between the short attack and the long attack and if you choose the first one after one turn they have to return to the home base even if they win and if you choose the long one the same rules apply after a certain amount of time it's just 'nope' and they have to go back. Same if you want to colonize, scout, or anything else, what, you wanted to just move your ships around? Fuck you." 

... wonder if there is a mod to remove it.

Mount and Blade Collection is on sale :) 75% off, I would recommend people to play that game.

I played warband, it's an odd relationship I've had with it. I put a decent amount of time into the game... but at the same time, I don't feel I really accomplished a whole lot, or got into the "meat" of it, when it comes to the politics and what-not of it. Just rode around a bit, forming my own merc army, fighting for a lord. I've debated getting fire and sword and giving it a try, but meh... who knows. I feel it could just be a repeat. And I already have enough games to play, hah.

I like the first SotS, it was kind of deceptively simple to play; it doesn't feel like there is really a whole lot to it at first, and then you lose several times and begin to understand all the depth of what is going on in the background. I've owned SotSII for quite a while now and I have a lot of trouble getting into it simply because of how different the interface is. It doesn't feel quite as 'deceptively simple' from what I've played; I can't say I've gotten far enough into it to see what it is you're talking about, though.

Also, Warband is all you really need from the Mount & Blade series; Fire and Sword feels a bit like a step backward for the series in some ways even though it's mostly just the same game with a different setting. That said, I think the Mount & Blade games are incredible for what they are; maybe rough around the edges but by far the best example of how you can play a game any way you want to.

Seems that iam the only one who didn't vote for the insanely boring BL2

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what game you're talking about; I had assumed that BL2 stands for 'Borderlands 2', but that can't possibly be the case considering the rest of what you said there.

No it was lame really...

And felt more of a "DO QUESTS DO IT DO IT!"

Some things where humorous but thats where it kinda stayed...

All those people crying about not having a credit or debit card...

Get a pre-paid visa!  They have them at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target....

Durrr.

EDIT

Bit of irony, my card kept getting declined buying stuff on steam because apparently, after (or despite, depending on how you look at it) all the money I've forked out to steam, it detected them as fraudulent purchases.  One quick call to my bank's 24/7 emergency hotline and an asschewing later, I have about 40 gigs in games to download ^^

Not every country or person has the luxury of doing that though Jerie.

Yeah most banks don't allow you to spend so much money in a given time period. Hell my bank complained when I said I used my card for purchasing online stuff, I told them it was my money and I was going to spend it how I wanted to.

Get a pre-paid visa!

A lot of those cards are straight up scams, though. I remember getting one a few years ago and then reading through the fine print and immediately wanting to return it and get my money back. They ask you for your social security number and other personal info in order to activate the card despite the fact that you've already given them your money. Why is that? To stop the "terrorists" of course; for some reason they site a law that doesn't actually exist stating that they need your SSN in order to monitor who uses what services online.

In addition to that, they both charge you a fee for refilling your card and they also take money from your balance each month as a fee and will send you a bill for overdraws...even when those overdraws are caused by that second fee I mentioned; essentially throwing you into a never ending loop if you agree to their terms. God help you if someone manages to get your card number and decides to rack up those overdraws for you; this obviously goes against the whole point of using a prepaid card as a method of internet payment security in the first place. They are advertised as being quick and easy ways to pay for things electronically, but the one I've seen is anything but.

And to top it all off, I found that card in a Safeway. A large kiosk with a bunch of other gift cards in a local Safeway. It really didn't seem that seedy until I actually read the fine print, but by then I had already payed for the card and was not able to get my money back.

How can you not like Borderlands? That's just bad.....that or your rubbish at playing it :P

Borderlands is an ok game looking back on it, I've passed the first a few times, but the second one I've barely gotten into. Looking back I gotta say Borderlands isn't that good really, bullet spongy enemies, pretty bad gun play (guns felt bad to use imo), bad story (more so the 1st, can't say about 2. Well the ending of 1 was bad considering what your goal was.) and Borderlands 2 was filled with WAY too much nonsense. I don't think it's fair that you're calling someone rubbish at a game that they clearly didn't enjoy as you did.

I'm debating getting CS:GO because... I dunno. Because. Any yays or nays in one way or another in regards to the game? I've been looking for a new competitive shooter. Planetside 2 is fun... but it's not the same as a round based, smaller, even numbers game. And that's GREAT. I love it for what it is. But it's not a competitive FPS. At least in my eyes. I debated getting natural selection... but the animations/gunplay looked like they were a bit stiff for my tastes. So CS:GO is an option. But at the same time, a game called Interstellar Marines, currently in Alpha, has caught my eye. I'm waiting to see if it goes on sale during the summer sale though.

Edit: Link to Interstellar Marines, in case anyone is interested. http://store.steampowered.com/app/236370/

Archived