Hello ! So because I don't have enough storage on my computer, I installed the Sims 3 on my usb key. But unfortunately I didn't found any "Electronic art" files, which is necessary to add mods.

So I copy pasted the old "electronic art" file stored on my computer to my usb key, in order to install mods. But when I play the game no mods appear. i'm sure I did something wrong and should have done it in another way, but I don't know what. I hope somebody knows the answer ?

Here is the image of what is on my usb key :

IMG_20220524_161616.thumb.jpg.84ea0828cc65c86cbf88338247b14d7c.jpg

Mods go into the Documents folder where Windows does it's work.

This PC / Documents / Electronic Arts / The Sims 3 / Mods / Packages.      <----- This info is generally included with anything to do with using mods AND the Sims 3

You can put the X86 files anywhere as long as the system knows where to look for them. Mine happen to be on drive F which is a Digital Drive. They are pretty cheap now and can also be used with a USB port although you lose some 'speed' with the data transfer technology the USB system incorporates. But since you are a PC user I'm probably being redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Maxis coded the game so that it will always search your C:\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder for mods and saves, even if your installation is on another drive.

However, you can create a Windows junction via Command Prompt which will point to a different folder of your choice. When this is confirmed accessing on The Sims 3 folder will then always access your USB drive. But I've never tried this with a removable USB, so I'm unsure what happens if you try to launch the game with it disconnected.

4 hours ago, Fragnarok said:

I'm unsure what happens if you try to launch the game with it disconnected

The short-cut to the .exe becomes unavailable, so nothing happens. Same thing if I unplug my drive with the USB cable to plug in another external drive. The trick for me is to 'not' plug in the 'original' drive back in before rebooting or Windows assigns a new drive letter which all short-cuts to that drive won't recognize as they point to another (original) drive letter identifier. Of course when this happens any short-cuts remaining use some 'generic' icon instead of the one used for the actual install.

As far as using a USB drive to begin with - that's just trial and error or success as I don't know if a standard removable flash drive has the ability to allow an OS to interact with it the same as a dedicated external drive.

[edit] As an Origin user that might also have issues I can't foresee since My Sims 3 is all disks and doesn't require Origin or the internet. When I use the launcher to install a world it always makes me smile when the launcher cries 'Unable to connect to Origin'. WAH!

Edited by landess