At least, I think this goes here...

Anyway, I was trying to replicate the Shadow of War games Nazgul type color for necromancy and reanimation by fiddling around in the CK and replacing the effect shaders for the magic effect, as suggested in this thread here : 

However, I couldnt get any satisfactory results, so instead of replacing the shaders in the CK, I simply thought to maybe changing the color of the actual dds file in the BSA. Since I use Mod Organizer, I could simply copy the dds and the folder structure into its own mod, and let the new texture overwrite its base-game counterpart. I am not really familiar with texture work, or really what tools suit the task best, but I thought to ask here and see what people tend to use for this.

I tried to get it working with Paint and GIMP, but failed miserably. 

11 hours ago, Grecia300 said:

However, I couldnt get any satisfactory results, so instead of replacing the shaders in the CK, I simply thought to maybe changing the color of the actual dds file in the BSA. Since I use Mod Organizer, I could simply copy the dds and the folder structure into its own mod, and let the new texture overwrite its base-game counterpart. I am not really familiar with texture work, or really what tools suit the task best, but I thought to ask here and see what people tend to use for this.

I tried to get it working with Paint and GIMP, but failed miserably. 

There's a nexus mod called "xmh tools image suite"

It will let you right click dds files and convert them to png files.

You can open the png files in an art program for editing, then use Xmh tools to instantly convert them back into skyrims dds format.

15 hours ago, venomr said:

There's a nexus mod called "xmh tools image suite"

It will let you right click dds files and convert them to png files.

You can open the png files in an art program for editing, then use Xmh tools to instantly convert them back into skyrims dds format.

Sweet, I'll check it out. 

I assume it'll work fine for LE textures even tho its hosted on sse nexus?

Edited by Grecia300
4 hours ago, Grecia300 said:

Sweet, I'll check it out. 

I assume it'll work fine for LE textures even tho its hosted on sse nexus?

I want to say yes. I'm not sure if theres a difference between the compression that LE and SE can read ( I think SE uses BC7.) 

In the end if something goes wrong I guess you could use cathedral assests optimizer to fix things.

The XMH tex converter isnt working, by the look of it. Paint and GIMP still unable to read the dds file, after "converting" it to png. Theres not much documentation for me to read, so I guess all I can do is keep prodding until something happens

4 hours ago, Grecia300 said:

The XMH tex converter isnt working, by the look of it. Paint and GIMP still unable to read the dds file, after "converting" it to png. Theres not much documentation for me to read, so I guess all I can do is keep prodding until something happens

With paint.net https://www.getpaint.net/  you can directly work on *.dds files without converting it. and you can save in BC1 for LE or BC7 for SE just as you need.

1 hour ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Or Photoshop, if you have the Nvidia plugin for it.

I neither have nvidia nor the money to buy it. Unfortunately

8 hours ago, Harvald said:

With paint.net https://www.getpaint.net/  you can directly work on *.dds files without converting it. and you can save in BC1 for LE or BC7 for SE just as you need.

Doesnt windows 10 come with that by default? I thought that was the case anyway. If not that might explain why I cant view or edit dds files in the Paint I been trying to.

59 minutes ago, Grecia300 said:

Doesnt windows 10 come with that by default? I thought that was the case anyway. If not that might explain why I cant view or edit dds files in the Paint I been trying to.

The Nvidia plugin is free (it's just a filetype compatibility plugin), so you only need Photoshop.

1 hour ago, Grecia300 said:

Paint.net is not the same as windows-paint.  Some Bachelor Students created the program and it is fine.

free download https://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

7.99$ https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/paintnet/9NBHCS1LX4R0?hl=de-de&gl=DE

Edited by Harvald
1 hour ago, Harvald said:

Paint.net is not the same as windows-paint.  Some Bachelor Students created the program and it is fine.

free download https://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

7.99$ https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/paintnet/9NBHCS1LX4R0?hl=de-de&gl=DE

Ah ok. Makes sense now, thats my bad.

I'll take a look and see how it turns out. Thanks for the pointers lads.

God dammit. "how hard could it be to change a color in a dds file" I said. "It'll be done by tomorrow" I said.... >_<

This is what paint.net is throwing in my face :

System.FormatException: The DDS file is invalid.
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsNative.Load(Stream stream)
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFile.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 498
   at PaintDotNet.Data.FileTypeProxy.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\FileTypeProxy.cs:line 58
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 498
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Edited by Grecia300
On 4/30/2022 at 5:26 PM, Grecia300 said:

God dammit. "how hard could it be to change a color in a dds file" I said. "It'll be done by tomorrow" I said.... >_<

Could you upload the texture file? I want to see if I can edit it.

4 hours ago, venomr said:

Ah, that link didn't lead me to your file.

Works on my end. I included the folder structure in case it was important, just open up the folders (textures>effects>gradients)and the 2 dds files will be there.

Are you not seeing the folder? I dont use mega that much so I mighta borked something and the attach files here on LL isnt cooperating with me.

EDIT : Ok try this - https://mega.nz/folder/3NMmgQAQ#qXwvtaZAYXtLCfxov3P-zA

Edited by Grecia300
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, venomr said:

Could you upload the texture file? I want to see if I can edit it.

Any luck? I extracted the files directly from the vanilla effects bsa in the data folder, and this error I was getting is slightly concerning.

10 minutes ago, Grecia300 said:

Any luck? I extracted the files directly from the vanilla effects bsa in the data folder, and this error I was getting is slightly concerning.

Ah no luck on my end either. Gimp says its invalid too. Though since the file is 0kb, I'm wondering if its an empty file that contains nothing?

52 minutes ago, venomr said:

Ah no luck on my end either. Gimp says its invalid too. Though since the file is 0kb, I'm wondering if its an empty file that contains nothing?

No clue honestly. It shouldnt be, the reanimation effects are fine ingame and if it was empty the effect should be nonexistant ingame.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have as of yet not made any progress whatsoever, and to anyone that see's this in the future : I'd ask that you send me YOUR gradient reanimate textures so I can see if I can edit yours. As mine are clearly corrupted, or something.