How can I apply downloaded sim mod?

• myuhinny changed the title to How can I apply downloaded sim mod?
14 hours ago, Lemniscate30 said:

I downloaded a lot of sim face + body mod. For example, I downloaded some KPOP idol mod like Karina from Aespa. How can I create it instantly? Do I need to make in manually by myself or thers a shortcut to do it?

When you download custom Sims they include a Tray folder and everything inside gets copied into your The Sims 4/Tray folder.

Mods included should be installed into your Mods folder by categories so you don't  have duplicates.

Example:

Mods/Clothing

Mods/Makeup

Mods/Shoes

etc.

New Sims are found by hitting F4 in game and select the My Library.

Look for 'Enable Custom Content' on the left side bar and enable it to see all Sims using cc.

Once found you can click on them and import them into your game.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:33 PM, Scorpio said:

When you download custom Sims they include a Tray folder and everything inside gets copied into your The Sims 4/Tray folder.

Mods included should be installed into your Mods folder by categories so you don't  have duplicates.

Example:

Mods/Clothing

Mods/Makeup

Mods/Shoes

etc.

New Sims are found by hitting F4 in game and select the My Library.

Look for 'Enable Custom Content' on the left side bar and enable it to see all Sims using cc.

Once found you can click on them and import them into your game.

It helped so much! One more question. If I added 1 more folder in mods folder of sims. does it still work?

Example: Documents>Electronic Arts>The sims 4>Mods>Folder1>Folder 2

Does the mod inside folder2 still works? if yes, does folder3 will work?

14 minutes ago, Lemniscate30 said:

Custom Content will still work but Script Mods like Wicked, MCCC, Nisa's WP, etc., must be only one folder deep inside Mods.

16 minutes ago, Lemniscate30 said:

Yes but the same rule applies as above.

11 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Custom Content will still work but Script Mods like Wicked, MCCC, Nisa's WP, etc., must be only one folder deep inside Mods.

Yes but the same rule applies as above.

How would you know the files are scripts? Or how would you know if the file is just only applicable for 1 deep folder? (I'm about to organize everything later)

first of all:

don't organize it later... later will be too late :D do it now, from the beginning. later, when you have hundreds of thousands of file, it's not fun anymore.

every file that ends with .ts4script is a script file and my only be in "Documents>Electronic Arts>The sims 4>Mods>Folder1" - not deeper

every file that ends with .package, should be fine with deeper folders. BUT that does not mean, that they will work, if you put them into sub-sub-sub-sub-folders. For me, I only go like ">Folder1>Folder2" deep and not more

10 hours ago, Lemniscate30 said:

How would you know the files are scripts? Or how would you know if the file is just only applicable for 1 deep folder? (I'm about to organize everything later)

When you extract a newly downloaded Mod or CC you will see the file name extensions.

Anything you see with the .ts4script at the end means it's a Script Mod as 'thaclone' mentioned above.

Best to keep all those included files in the same location as they will be easier to update later without looking in several places.

I only use 1 folder deep myself as it's good enough for me and it's easier to find things if I get errors I don't have to hunt all over to find them.

Also no need to worry about having anything too deep inside Mods either.

Example:

Mods/CC Body Parts

Mods/CC Clothing

Mods/CC Makeup

Mods/CC Shoes

Mods/CC Skin Overlays_Non-default

Mods/Basemental

Mods/MCCC

Mods/WickedWhimsMod

Mods/Wicked Animations

etc.

Best to organize your Mods early on and get into the habit as it becomes a nightmare later on when you have far more to do.   

15 hours ago, Lemniscate30 said:

It helped so much! One more question. If I added 1 more folder in mods folder of sims. does it still work?

What the others have mentioned is great advice.  As long as you have a properly configured Resource.cfg file you can put mods in folders several layers deep.

Make sure your Resource.cfg file (in your base Mods folder) looks something like this:

Priority 500

PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

It is also recommended that you have an overrides folder in your Resource.cfg file and add something like this:

Priority 900

PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package

Place mods that you want to override all others in your Overrides folder.  Some authors recommend that you place their mods in an overrides folder.