Before spending money

In the past few days, I've stumbled upon a bitch with my PC. The hard drive is dead. Obviously, there is a total loss of data.
  Fixed PC with new SSD and Windows 11 OS .

Having the Hard Disk, I was told by the technician that there is a cable that allows you to recover data from the old Hard Disk

Is this the cable by any chance?

https://www.amazon.it/Benfei-3-0-SATA-supporta-Uasp/dp/B07F7WDZGT/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=Psu0f&pf_rd_p=f13da817-0574-4c99-9164-815648eb01d2&pf_rd_r=A05SQG2ME4T33VB9VFMK&pd_rd_r=535be0a9-b22b-4266-bc7e-31bf40b695e7&pd_rd_wg=li7oU&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

If hard disk is dead, how is cable supposed to help Oo?

It just doesnt make sense. If your old problem was a cable, you didnt need new hard drive, just a new cable. If your old problem was a hard drive - well, does plugging a dead man into a new life stuport help? If your hard drive has some life signs - detected in Bios at least, you can try date recovery software. You might get back at least something.

But unless cables come with necromancy magic in batch - no, cable wont help the issue.

Edited by nilead

When a nice blue screen appears when the PC starts up ........ 

7 minutes ago, nilead said:

If hard disk is dead, how is cable supposed to help Oo?

In fact it is only a "hearsay"

6 minutes ago, nilead said:

detected in Bios at least, you can try date recovery software. You might get back at least something.

The idea would be this. Having removed it from the PC, how to do it?

Before removing it, it detected 90% of it  , then it went into lockdown , and kept pointing me to the resolution screen (Black screen)

But, as mentioned, being hearsay, I was curious to know a little more.

Can it be used as an external hard drive without having to reassemble it?  Having in practice, inserted an SSD with new (and higher) OS, I have no idea what can happen to reconnect it to the PC

If most of it was operatinal - you can most likely just format it and use it as an extra storage space. You can have multiple hard dives, and even multiple operating systems on the same PC. As for question of how to attach it back to PC - it will have two slots for connection - power and data. Plug them with corresponding cables to power supply and motherboard and thats about it.

With that said - it does require some user discretion. Do you have free slot on motherboard, neccecery cable, do you have power to spare (most likely, hard drives consumption is negligible compared to CPU/GPU. If you're willing to dive in and wrap your head around it - go ahead. Possbile prize is - you get you hard disc back, with most of its volume as an extra storage space and some data back, how much is utterely unpredictable. But it does require time investment.

Just go to youtube and watch a PC building tutorial or two. Its really easy once it clicks.

Id do it, but i do enjoy the tinkering. If you dont - just pay the dude. Sure, hell scalp some on top, but thats the point of having skills - getting people who dont have time to acquire them to pay you)

The problem is not in a few EUROS, but in knowing if it is true that it can be done

56 minutes ago, Visio Diaboli said:

but that cable is likely the right one, assuming the hard drive still works at all.

If it were possible to recover something, better.
Fortunately, my PC still works

1 hour ago, nilead said:

Just go to youtube and watch a PC building tutorial or two. Its really easy once it clicks.

I'll take a look around ?

@Lestat1627

I used this cable to connect HDD's to USB which worked successfully when I was cleansing some old drives prior to disposal, so I know that it works. on a normal functioning disc. It comes with a power supply so the HDD is able to run but will also handle SSD's if you want to plug them in externally as well.

Obviously if your HDD is completely fried nothing will work.

The link is to Amazon in the UK but you can no doubt get it (or something similar) on other Amazon sites

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JGT17B8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck with it

EDIT:

Looking at the link you supplied that one would connect but you would still need a power source for a HDD, so whatever you get make sure that it will power a HDD

Edited by Slorm
36 minutes ago, Slorm said:

The link is to Amazon in the UK but you can no doubt get it (or something similar) on other Amazon sites

After viewing some videos on Youtube, I found on Amazon the complete kit with the various adapters for the different types of HDD .

As soon as it arrives, I will get to work to see what I will be able to recover. I had about 200gb of mods for skyrim plus a lot of other data that I would like not to lose, and I would not want to re-download everything, when the possibility exists to avoid it

Professional data recoveries cost a ton of money.

If the disk is dead it may be due to multiple reasons:

* faulty electronics (recoverable usually the 100% of data but you have to replace the electronic and this cannot usually be done)

* faulty mechanics (motor) usually recoverable but the motor cannot be changed at low price

* faulty mechanics (faulty or landed heads) this usually implies some serious data loss. Data can still be recovered but usually the disk itself has to be placed in a recovery drive and then red. Takes thousands of dollars to do this.

* faulty surfaces (magnetic areas damaged) usually easy to recover for the parts that are not dead. Companies can try to do it for around a couple of hundreds of dollars.

I really do not think a "cable" can provide any help on this case.

The only solution is: keep some backups somewhere.