How would I add delays between conversation points?

How would I add delays between conversation "points" as opposed to it just reading them off one after the other? At the moment, when I hit new game, it teleports me to the new cell and the npc I created starts talking, going down the list of text I gave him, the problem is he goes so fast that the voiced dialogue is over before the fade from black is even finished.

Ideally, is there a way to add a delay in the Result Script between conversation points? Or would it need to be done in the quest script itself?

Also, how do I make the npc play an animation the whole time the conversation is going on? Is that done in the conversation scripts or the AI Package?

Picture for clarity:

Spoiler

delay.png.72e50af341e2fd3e9bc59c51a0d7e3e2.png

5 hours ago, rookie189 said:

How would I add delays between conversation "points" as opposed to it just reading them off one after the other? At the moment, when I hit new game, it teleports me to the new cell and the npc I created starts talking, going down the list of text I gave him, the problem is he goes so fast that the voiced dialogue is over before the fade from black is even finished.

Ideally, is there a way to add a delay in the Result Script between conversation points? Or would it need to be done in the quest script itself?

Also, how do I make the npc play an animation the whole time the conversation is going on? Is that done in the conversation scripts or the AI Package?

Picture for clarity:

Reveal hidden contents

I tell you my own experience, not sure if there's more ways. When I had the same problem, surfing around I've found that it wasn't impossible to modify, it was automatically made by the game based by the voice file. So I simply introduced extra silence at the end of the audio file. Positive note is, I only had it on specific lines, most were ok, so it wasn't a big work.

About animation, if you double click on the line you can decide to play an animation while speaking that line, you probably have seen it already. If the animation is a looping one, you probably can repeat the same animation on every line and it should work fine. If it doesn't achieve the result you want, yes I'd try to set it inside the AI package instead.

EDIT:

Unless you need something more delayed, something more staged like the game's intro. In that case, I personally would go for a quest with a staged script

Edited by A.J.
3 hours ago, A.J. said:

So I simply introduced extra silence at the end of the audio file.

3 hours ago, A.J. said:

If the animation is a looping one, you probably can repeat the same animation on every line and it should work fine.

Those are good ideas, I'll try those. If it wasn't obvious, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing haha. Do you know if there's a way to set the player's name via quest/script as opposed to letting the player choose with GetPlayerName? Like any idea if Player.SetActorFullName would work on the player?

On 12/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, rookie189 said:

Those are good ideas, I'll try those. If it wasn't obvious, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing haha. Do you know if there's a way to set the player's name via quest/script as opposed to letting the player choose with GetPlayerName? Like any idea if Player.SetActorFullName would work on the player?

I did it time ago but too much time passed and I don't recall exactly the script. But I remember it was for a different purpose, it was temporary so I probably used NVSE SetName instead. In your case, I say it deserves an attempt with Player.SetActorFullName

By the way, you can often test most things directly in game, writing commands directly in console, it's pretty handy to debug