Presets, LooksMenu and CTDs (HELP)

Hello.

I've recently gotten back into Fallout 4 and mods. I've installed every mod I wanted in MO2 without any issues, installed AAF and everything I want for it following the well-known handy guide here on LL, but I'm experiencing issues.

Regarding the mentioned guide, I've installed everything required, and everything works except LooksMenu. Whenever I load my own custom presets (either at the beginning of the game or during the gameplay via 'slm 14' command) the game just CTDs. Some presets work without any issues, but vast majority of presets give me CTD.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd appreciate it very much.

I'm running the latest version of Fallout 4, F4SE, Buffout 4 (and all its requirements) and LooksMenu 1.6.18 (this version is recommended in the said guide due to newer versions breaking morphs).

Thanks in advance!

FIXED!

If anyone experiences the same issue, here's the fix that worked for me (and probably will for you as well!):

If you're starting the new game (new save), while in LooksMenu either don't select a preset or select the one you know won't crash. I personally didn't choose any preset (used the default one, aka 'Nora'). Whateveryou do, just don't hit the 'C' key on your keyboard, it will either freeze or CTD!!!

Then, play the game for at least 10-30 minutes. You can use this time to set everything up in the MCM, and exit the Vault 111 (if you don't use StartMeUp mod like I do, then you should leave the dungeon you spawned in). After exiting the Vault 111, find any dungeon or inside-locations. I avoided doing this in the Commonwealth since I have heavily modified game and I didn't want to risk another CTD.

Once inside, bring up your console and use command tai - it disables all AI. Then, either move the camera to see your character the way you want (or you can just use 'tfc' command to toggle custom camera). Finally, run 'slm 14' in your console to open LooksMenu for your character and your presets should be loaded correctly.

Note:

• I have over 300 custom presets and I haven't tested if all 300+ of them load; instead I tried to load only my personal favorites, and they load without issues.

• As mentioned in the above post, I'm running the latest version of Buffout 4 and all its requirements, F4SE, but my LooksMenu is 1.6.18.

Hopefully this works for you, if you have any questions don't hesitate to reply :)

Take care!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:15 PM, rubber_duck said:

If you're starting the new game (new save), while in LooksMenu either don't select a preset or select the one you know won't crash. I personally didn't choose any preset (used the default one, aka 'Nora'). Whateveryou do, just don't hit the 'C' key on your keyboard, it will either freeze or CTD!!!

Just to follow up, you later determined that upgrading to LM 1.6.20 got rid of those crashes, correct?