GECK limits and texture problems

A.J.

Working on the GECK I though to a couple of questions:

- Is there some limits when I do things? I mean about quantity. For example I'm putting a lot of dialogue and dialogue choices. Also, I'm cluttering quite a bit. Again, crossing many variables, to create situations based on what's happening etc. So my question is, is there some way to check how much I'm exaggerating on doing things before it's too late, or the only way would be tweaking the things after the whole work has done, having many feedbacks from people with different computers?

- I've read some times about this problem with textures not showing correctly in GECK after a retexture, but I've never read about a solution on it. I mean when it shows the closest texture and flickers just like it does ingame when I put a wrong path for a texture. Usually, since this is just "fake" and the textures show correcly in game, I put my retextures as last thing, or I would get crazy while working on GECK with all these flickering textures.

But cluttering without the textures I chosed for the room is becoming quite hard, how can I say, it doesn't show me the whole "situation", so  everytime I need to check it I must replace them, go ingame to see how it appears, re-replace again to work with GECK etc. I was wondering if someone has ever found a way to solve this problem, since this way is becoming a neverending story. Thank you.

I have not heard of dialogue restrictions. In terms of quest variables, I'm not really sure, but I think if there is a limit, it would probably be very high. Just take a look at SCR for instance and you'll see that there can be quite a lot.

For the texture problem, have you tried putting your recolors/custom items into a bsa and name it after your plugin? That way it should be loaded in the GECK. This is pure speculation, but I think, I've never run into problems with custom content that was included that way. If you have this problem because of large scale HD texture replacers, I'd recommend unistalling them for the time being or do the same for them.

• 5 months later...

... And slowly I'm solving the problems that afflicts me since ever... After 4 months I finally found the solution to the texture problems in GECK: they weren't showing up because I wasn't generating mipmaps. I never knew what mipmaps were for, I never noticed differences in game so I never did all those little versions of my texture. Well now I have a good reason to do that :)

An example exporting with mipmaps...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/cdku2mw06d5gnaa/mipmaps.jpg#

Two examples without mipmaps... same issue when you lack textures ingame, it sticks with the closer one, or in case there are not it's simply black.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zgeb2r82zaa7z46/retexture.jpg#

http://www.mediafire.com/view/iqpu08w87driedk/texture.jpg#

Archived