How to start making my own CC ?

Hello! I have been playing Sims 3 since 2016. Currently this game and Skyrim are my most favorite games. So much freedom, so many possibilities. Now i have decided to make my first CC for the Sims 3 with the following ideas -

* Making my own clothes.

* Changing length of existing clothes, like converting a top into a nightgown.

* Changing textures of clothes and making them recolourable in CAS.

* Creating transparent clothing or dress with nude bottom.

I don't have any scripting or programming knowledge and this is my first time doing something so incredible. Please help :classic_smile:

- A curious beginner :classic_tongue:

Edited by skysimmy
47 minutes ago, skysimmy said:

Please help :classic_smile:

A bunch of tools and do not expect to figure everything out immediately, because you will become frustrated when you do not. )

Imaging, I use GIMP (free). Meshing, currently using Blender 2.80 (free). TSRW from The Sims Resource (free). S3pe and s3oc and plugins from Simlogical, or just do search for s3pe and s3oc. On Mod The Sims, are tools you don't even know you need! CTU can be handy. Must have Cmar's Meshing tool kit.

13 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

do not expect to figure everything out immediately, because you will become frustrated when you do not. )

Ummmm.... i am a Skyrim modder so my frustrations are endless :classic_biggrin: (rather, you are the one who seems kinda frustrated :classic_tongue:).

Please don't be so negative.

Some positive words of encouragement to a beginner would be highly appreciated :classic_wink:

If it's not too much to ask, could you please share some tutorials relevant to my query ? :classic_happy:

Many Thanks! :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, skysimyy said:

you are the one who seems kinda frustrated

All of the time, as I work with TS3 tools all of the time. That is why I give advice of reality so new modders don't expect to just make some complex mesh on the first try, becoming frustrated and quit because they think they aren't good enough or something.

Tutorials? Well, As I don't know how familiar you are with any TS3 tools, fill me in please. There are a lot, ranging from basic meshing to advanced, transparencies are a different issue, and if you want to make open bottom dresses and skirts, start where I did... here on LL

6 hours ago, LadySmoks said:
Spoiler

All of the time, as I work with TS3 tools all of the time. That is why I give advice of reality so new modders don't expect to just make some complex mesh on the first try, becoming frustrated and quit because they think they aren't good enough or something.

True, but discouraging newbies as if they are trying to disarm a nuclear bomb is a bit sad...

Spoiler

Modding is all about experimenting so naturally, mod making should be an even grander experiment. Even if it is an extreme time costing process, Yet, its not worth giving up. I'll still get to learn something new. There is a limit to how much we can ask experienced mod creators to 'please create this and that for me'. After playing with such easily moddable game for a long time, there are multiple things i want in my game that i believe only i can add to it. 

Tutorials? Well, As I don't know how familiar you are with any TS3 tools, fill me in please.

Any tutorial will do, for example - meshing and texturing, these two i think, are the most basic, and the most critical part of 99.9% of CC making process. 

There are a lot, ranging from basic meshing to advanced, transparencies are a different issue, and if you want to make open bottom dresses and skirts, start where I did... here on LL

Nice! i have decided to start with creating an open top with my own recolor, as most of the tutorials i saw on youtube are focused on that specific topic. What i do feel troubled about is selecting what to use for mesh editing. Blender or Marvelous Designer ? 

For textures, Paint.net should be okay (probably).

Edited by skysimyy
1 hour ago, skysimyy said:

discouraging newbies

I f what I wrote sounded discouraging to you, then YOU are the problem. YOU are a bit too sensitive and will need to toughen up a bit, as life does not always coddle you.

Paint.net works, and I have heard of several that use it. I do not, so can not help with questions that may arise. Also, I tried Marvelous Designer and did not like the meshes it produced, so do not use that program, and again, can not help you with that. The meshes have random faces. With the type of garments I make, and the fact that I reopen the morphs and adjust them, I found those meshes impossible to work with.

These are the index of tutorials on MTS... https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=619&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1. There are a lot, but probably the older ones are ones you will want to look at.

12 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

I f what I wrote sounded discouraging to you, then YOU are the problem. YOU are a bit too sensitive and will need to toughen up a bit, as life does not always coddle you.

Naah, there is a clear difference between being reasonably polite and being pointlessly rude on purpose. I wonder why people can't answer simple questions without inserting their needless ego-centric attitude. Its not too hard acting polite atleast online~

12 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

These are the index of tutorials on MTS... https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=619&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1. There are a lot, but probably the older ones are ones you will want to look at.

Ok, thanks! (see ? its very easy acting reasonably polite even if you have a little bit of patience. Hope you remember it next time before negating some other unfortunate newbie's dream so casually) :classic_happy:

8 minutes ago, skysimyy said:

Hope you remember it next time before negating some other unfortunate newbie's dream so casually) :classic_happy:

Now, you will find me to be not so polite. I can not help that you are too sensitive to read and comprehend a fair warning to not be too expecting of fast results. This is the failing on your end, not mine. That you have marshmallow feelings and need constant words of encouragement instead of reality when trying to learn to mod TS3 is again, not my problem. Being a wise ass and criticizing a person who WAS willing to help you shows a true lack of character and a bit of an ego that you need to cage. As there are only a handful of TS3 modders here, your resources have now dwindled even less. Good luck. Now... Go scream at the sky because I was mean to you.

Endless frustration with Moding in SkyRim…

Just getting valid info and software to mod in SkyRim is problematic.

Modifying garments in The Sims 3 is not nearly as difficult.

1. Start by using TSRW to extract the WSO Mesh
  2. Use Mesh Toolkit to convert to OBJ file.
  3.  Load OBJ file into 3D editor and change or add to the Mesh.
  4.  Use 3D editor (Blender) to arrange UV Map.
  5.  Clean the model, Align UV.
  6. Convert back to WSO
  7. Use CMAR's Toolkit to Bone and Morph.
  8. Make changes to graphics based on new UV Map.
  9. Assemble in TSRW.

Granted… this is over-simplified

Try and keep the total poly-face count under 10K. I’ve had to 18K for large objects and about 13K for garments before something starts messing up.  You’ll spend more time looking for problems than creating if not careful.

If you are truly interested in creating for Sims 3 and have a little experience with SkyRim… Send me a PM. I’ll help you set up – at least as I am. I also use MilkShape 3D and recommend the full version.

Since each creator finds their own path – I’ll show you what I do. After that – It’s up to you to find a path.

Edited by Nonsequitur
Step missing from list.

Oh, BTW there... SkySimyy...

The 1st time you come at me with an Ad Hominem... I'll be done with your too. 

On 7/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, skysimyy said:

rather, you are the one who seems kinda frustrated

The few Moders and builders here, all have separate skill-sets and mastery in a few aspects of Modding within Sims 3. Some have mastered more than a few...

So, yes.... We few, we brave... combined... do indeed, know it ALL

I would suggest that you do not alienate us " know-it-all's".

Loosing a Master of UV and Face Geometry already puts you behind the 8-ball in this Network.

Patients, and Practice...

You have not described, nor demonstrated, your skill level or understanding of 3D mesh and graphics...  This being the case - we must assume a novice, at least with the procedures and processes involved with assembly for Sims 3.  If questions are more specific - the answer can be more direct.  Such as: How do you extract the Sims 3 mesh so you can use it in a 3D editor? ... I converted back to WSO but now there are dark patches everywhere - what went wrong? ... How do I get a UV Image to use as a template?

• 1 month later...

The TSRW is a great way to create CC for the first time + it's pretty easy to use. I've just done recolors by far since I'm more into posing and animating but if I can do it, you can do it as well!

On 7/3/2021 at 4:33 AM, LadySmoks said:

Now, you will find me to be not so polite. I can not help that you are too sensitive to read and comprehend a fair warning to not be too expecting of fast results. This is the failing on your end, not mine. That you have marshmallow feelings and need constant words of encouragement instead of reality when trying to learn to mod TS3 is again, not my problem. Being a wise ass and criticizing a person who WAS willing to help you shows a true lack of character and a bit of an ego that you need to cage. As there are only a handful of TS3 modders here, your resources have now dwindled even less. Good luck. Now... Go scream at the sky because I was mean to you.

Well, I've talked several times to you now @LadySmoks and I've never seen you as an unpolite person lol. You're just more realistic but still very helpful. I like you tbh ?

1 hour ago, TakumiiSakura said:

Well, I've talked several times to you now @LadySmoks and I've never seen you as an unpolite person lol. You're just more realistic but still very helpful. I like you tbh ?

You have never given me reason to be impolite. ?I am blunt and straight forward, and do not send flowers with every post. Some always seem to need a hug, or be told "good boy/ girl". ?You... I tell you it might be hard. You say, "OK... What tools do I need?" then go try, fail, try, fail, little success... try more... more success! But, you knew you might fail the first time and that you would need to continue to try. )))

@LadySmoks

I can relate. I had SO many fails while animating. Fail, lil success, more fails and more success after time. You CAN'T make any success without fails, it's as simple as that! 

I can ask for tools, for tutorials etc. But the first tries won't be perfect. But that's how humanity works ;)

Edited by TakumiiSakura
2 hours ago, TakumiiSakura said:

I can relate. I had SO many fails while animating. Fail, lil success, more fails and more success after time. You CAN'T make any success without fails, it's as simple as that! 

I can ask for tools, for tutorials etc. But the first tries won't be perfect. But that's how humanity works ;)

That understanding will get you far! I learned from @JoshQ, "practice and patience". He continued to teach me beyond my initial question (how to make an inner skirt mesh visible from the inside) because I also had persistence, and a failure did not discourage me... I saw it as learning. There were somethings he tried to teach me that I simply did not understand at first. But, even months later, I continued to try them... fails, but some success, and some of those things are now common used tools. Others, I still do not fully understand, but continue to try to understand them and gain more understanding each time I try and fail... I fail less and succeed more. 

But, none of this is easy, or everyone would just grab Blender and GIMP or Milkshape and Marvelous Designer, or IK rigs to do animations and everyone would make their own. Yes, some things are sort of easy, but that also depends on your basic understanding of certain tools when you begin using them.

I still read tutorials and look for info as I try to expand knowledge and improve skills. ))) I don't know everything... not even close!