I keep getting CTD every time I try to save, spent damn near the whole day trying to find ways to fix it but no luck. seems to have started when I entered riften then after a while it started doing it, I re loaded back to a save where it wasn't CTD and thought it was fine then it started again I've left riften at this point. I've tried many ways to fix it none have worked. I can load a save to where it works fine until it happens again, but don't want to have to lose 20-30 saves just to be able to play. Any help would be much appreciated.

modlist.txt

21 minutes ago, Schitkunt said:

I keep getting CTD every time I try to save, spent damn near the whole day trying to find ways to fix it but no luck. seems to have started when I entered riften then after a while it started doing it, I re loaded back to a save where it wasn't CTD and thought it was fine then it started again I've left riften at this point. I've tried many ways to fix it none have worked. I can load a save to where it works fine until it happens again, but don't want to have to lose 20-30 saves just to be able to play. Any help would be much appreciated.

modlist.txt 14.19 kB · 0 downloads

So this is a bug in Skyrim itself that alot of people have theories on but have never truly figured out but there is a fix, when you load your previous save, open console and hit type player.kill to kill your PC and then when it reloads again try saving. I had this bug before, so now every time I load my game after I havent played for a bit I do the player.kill, i will try to find the link with more detail in it

12 minutes ago, -Caden- said:

open console and hit type player.kill to kill your PC and then when it reloads again try saving

That was the first thing I tried, still got a CTD, also tried cleaning with Resaver made no difference

6 minutes ago, Schitkunt said:

That was the first thing I tried, still got a CTD, also tried cleaning with Resaver made no difference

So in the link that goes to steam, it talks about loading up a very early save, from back when you first started the game, then doing it there and saving, then from there loading up your most recent save from there (ingame) and trying it, you might have to remove a couple of your most recent saves to get it to work, I havent had this bug for a couple years, and it stopped when I stopped using the autosave feature, cause it overwrites your autosaves in a 3 save interval, so I just use hard saves all the time now and never overwrite, and whn i have to many saves in the save folder I delete some saves when I am done playing fore the day

In your skyrim INI you can add this line, or change it if its there if you want to used autosaves

[SaveGame]
iAutoSaveCount=50

This will allow the game to use 50 autosaves before it starts overwriting, so you have saves to fall back onto if you run into an issue using autosave

47 minutes ago, -Caden- said:

So in the link that goes to steam, it talks about loading up a very early save, from back when you first started the game, then doing it there and saving, then from there loading up your most recent save from there (ingame) and trying it, you might have to remove a couple of your most recent saves to get it to work, I havent had this bug for a couple years, and it stopped when I stopped using the autosave feature, cause it overwrites your autosaves in a 3 save interval, so I just use hard saves all the time now and never overwrite, and whn i have to many saves in the save folder I delete some saves when I am done playing fore the day

Sorry for the late response was fixing up my Plugins in mo2, I just tried what you suggested and it didn't work. I may just suck it up and load to a save that isn't going to CTD and see how I go, if it continues ill try restarting a new game, could a possible cause of this be because I added mods mid playthrough? also I've disabled auto save feature in hopes that'll do me some good, also should how many saves should I keep around? I've got around 280 now after I deleted the ones causing the CTD. Also thanks for your help

1 hour ago, -Caden- said:

This will allow the game to use 50 autosaves before it starts overwriting, so you have saves to fall back onto if you run into an issue using autosave

I'm thinking it might be safer to just not use autosaves ?

5 hours ago, Schitkunt said:

I'm thinking it might be safer to just not use autosaves ?

Yeah I would not use the autosaves, just delete saves that you don't need every few days when using hard saves, thats what I do anyways

5 hours ago, Schitkunt said:

Sorry for the late response was fixing up my Plugins in mo2, I just tried what you suggested and it didn't work. I may just suck it up and load to a save that isn't going to CTD and see how I go, if it continues ill try restarting a new game, could a possible cause of this be because I added mods mid playthrough? also I've disabled auto save feature in hopes that'll do me some good, also should how many saves should I keep around? I've got around 280 now after I deleted the ones causing the CTD. Also thanks for your help

Your welcome, I delete all saves except about 10, when I do delete them, most times I have a couple hundred then just delete when I remember, and always keep your first few saves in the game, the ones around character creation, those are the ones you can go back too and use to fix the save bug like it talks about in the link, your welcome, I hope you get it sorted out

is it normal that when I open race menu and finish for it to treat it like a new game? my old saves and the new one have been separated, and after that issue last night I encountered a new one....ah the never ending pain...I mean joys of modding, I constantly crash every once in a while.

7 minutes ago, Schitkunt said:

is it normal that when I open race menu and finish for it to treat it like a new game? my old saves and the new one have been separated, and after that issue last night I encountered a new one....ah the never ending pain...I mean joys of modding, I constantly crash every once in a while.

yes after race menu is done its a new game, I used to crash a lot, Ordinator was causing it for me

13 minutes ago, -Caden- said:

yes after race menu is done its a new game, I used to crash a lot, Ordinator was causing it for me

Ah ok thanks, since its done that should I use the original save if I need to try fix the save CTD again? also if you don't mind how do you setup a good load order? I'm happy with how mine is set up but imp having a random CTD now, I've reorganised the plugins but still made no difference, I saw somewhere someone said not to let loot organise your plugins so I organised it like the mods in the left window, sorry for the possibly dumb questions, I've modded before but cant help but feel like a major noob when it comes to it.

49 minutes ago, Schitkunt said:

Ah ok thanks, since its done that should I use the original save if I need to try fix the save CTD again? also if you don't mind how do you setup a good load order? I'm happy with how mine is set up but imp having a random CTD now, I've reorganised the plugins but still made no difference, I saw somewhere someone said not to let loot organise your plugins so I organised it like the mods in the left window, sorry for the possibly dumb questions, I've modded before but cant help but feel like a major noob when it comes to it.

all good, yes if you do not use loot, then you should, but sometimes even loot will not fix a CTD, try and figure out what is happening when you CTD, for me it was when a enemy using lightening magic which ended up be Ordinator, but loot is a good place to start, it will sort it for you, also read description of mods and comments, sometimes the description will tell you to put it a certain place in the load order, and comment might give you info of others having CTD

Also, if you can get your papyrus logs post them here and will take a look, sometimes you can find info there

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, -Caden- said:

if you can get your papyrus logs post them here and will take a look

here's a stupid question how do I get those logs? no ones ever told me do I need a mod for it?

*EDIT* so I figured out the papyrus logs, but its not showing up 

Edited by Schitkunt

ok I think the crashing is caused by combat with bandits or anything humanoid I believe ill post the papyrus logs, plugins and LO, hopefully they'll be some use. turned out my game was crashing to soon for the logs to start so I went away from combat till it showed up .

just so you know FNIS is disabled and isn't running along with nemesis.

Papyrus.0.log plugins.txt modlist.txt

Edited by Schitkunt
10 minutes ago, Schitkunt said:

I've run the game a few times waited a few minutes each time, and then saved to force the crash no logs are showing up

Strange. Check the NetScriptFramework.config.txt file to make sure crash logs are enabled and that the path for crash logs is defined, the path might be different from mine perhaps.

9 hours ago, Tiress said:

Check the NetScriptFramework.config.txt file to make sure crash logs are enabled and that the path for crash logs is defined

it looks fine to me, not sure why it isn't working ill post the config file below in case I overlooked something

*EDIT* found the logs they were in a different location, they were in my overwrite folder in mo2

Crash_2021_6_1_4-21-50.txt

Edited by Schitkunt

I'm starting to think its happening because added too many mods mid playthrough, should I start a new playthrough to test the areas I've been having issues? would removing FNIS (swapped to nemesis) mid playthrough effect it? I'm looking at resaver and there's some FNIS scripts running even though its been disabled. completely removing it now

I started a new game not long after reaching riften the CTD on save started happening again ill post new logs if it'll help.

Papyrus.3.log Crash_2021_6_1_15-55-4.txt

Edited by Schitkunt
17 hours ago, Schitkunt said:

I'm starting to think its happening because added too many mods mid playthrough, should I start a new playthrough to test the areas I've been having issues? would removing FNIS (swapped to nemesis) mid playthrough effect it? I'm looking at resaver and there's some FNIS scripts running even though its been disabled. completely removing it now

I started a new game not long after reaching riften the CTD on save started happening again ill post new logs if it'll help.

First crash seems so be connected with Fire and Ice Overhaul mod, with the Fire spell from this mod, so I'd check that one.

Possible relevant objects (2)
{
  [  76]    BGSHazard(Name: `Fire`, FormId: 42003332, File: `FireAndIceOverhaul.esp`)
  [  76]    Hazard(FormId: FF001520, BaseForm: BGSHazard(Name: `Fire`, FormId: 42003332, File: `FireAndIceOverhaul.esp`))
}

Second crash points to FormID 000C026A - DA13hallucinatedSkeever. It's the skeever that is spawned during the Peryite quest.

Possible relevant objects (2)
{
  [  76]    TESNPC(FormId: 000C026A, File: `Skyrim.esm`)
  [  76]    Character(FormId: FF00100A, BaseForm: TESNPC(FormId: 000C026A, File: `Skyrim.esm`))
}

I have a feeling though that neither of these cause the crash, but I'd check them anyway.

How large is your save file?

7 hours ago, Tiress said:

First crash seems so be connected with Fire and Ice Overhaul mod, with the Fire spell from this mod, so I'd check that one.

It's the skeever that is spawned during the Peryite quest.

Hmm those are random, haven't even started the peryite quest.

How large is your save file?

Like when I check it in resaver? its around 6mb

ReSaver 6.0.310 (2020-07-30 06_31)_ Save246_6F9DC451_0_567964696A61_Tamriel_002206_20210531162407_22_1.ess (5.97 mb, digest = a66c65b7) 2_06_2021 3_44_04 PM.png