Reinstalling Fallout New Vegas

Swyke

After adding, updating, deinstalling etc. of a lot of of mods and - especially - sexout content I've found files in the Data Directory from mods, I havend installed for at least half a year, like old Wsex files, I has deinstalled before the first Sexout installation last November. And I am sure, there is a huge pile of useless content in the Game directory I just can't identify.

And as I started making mods myself my savegame count is up to nearly ninehundred ... most of it I will never use, it's hard, but this savegames wont run with the recent installation.

The local FNV folder has about 17GB ... recently running only one Body-Repalcer and a few Sexout Mods.

So I decided to take the chance, and make a complete reinstallation.

So here are my questions, dear Loverslab-Community:

What is the best way to do this?

Shall I just delete the whole New Vegas Folder in the local Steam-Folder and let steam do the reinstallation?

Or is it better to reinstall the game after "deleting the local files" via steam?

Where are the savegames? Well, it's realy hard, but I want to delete them, too.

Is it usefull to zip the basic installation / basic installation with sexout for later reinstallation, or is this useless?

Thaky you for your attention

Swyke

What I do is remove the mods from the mod folder and place them into a new folder just in case so that they are safe. I then go to wherever the game is installed and wipe it out folder and all then bring up steam click the game and select delete local content once that is done then I reinstall the game back. I do this because just deleting the local content then reinstalling it back doesn't remove everything so it is best to wipe out the whole dang thing and that way there is no leftovers left over from a old game.

Be careful of just "delete local content" if your intention is to remove all references of FNV. It will only delete the content that has been added by steam. NVSE FNVedit and other remnants will remain.

When I decide that I want a fresh install I:

NOTICE THIS IS FOR COMPLETELY FRESH INSTALL. YOU WILL HAVE NO DATA LEFT IF YOU DON'T BACK UP FIRST. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

1)Open Steam and "delete local content"

2)Go to game folder where the game is installed and delete those items if I no longer want those items.

3)Go to my document folder and find the FNV folder and delete (or backup) those.

4) re-install from steam (either from a steam backup or download) FNV.

5) "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" from Steam

6) Load all Non-Mod Data files. Such as NVSE, NVSE extender, FNVedit. GECK and any other non mod tools. Might need to install/reinstall FOMM.

7) Zip or otherwise manually backup up the configuration for future repair or restoration. (save yourself from having to find and install all the needed tools) I use 7 zip for this. Doesn't really matter what you use so long as you backup your game folder at this point.

8) Load the mods needed. Test, backup (zip). Load more mods (section like sexout mods, companion mod etc) text backup (zip) rinse and repeat.

Using the back up, (zip) I am unaware of how an fully configured game will respond with a zipped backup. I believe the game will work  the same as if you manually installed the mods etc. However I am unaware of how the mod manager will respond with the installation or un-install  if you don't follow the default installation of FOMM>

I have reinstalled several times, as sort of a brute fore approach. Before deleting any files though, I go into fomm and uninstall through fomm all my mods, This is important or the load order may not update properly and show mods registered that you have deleted or cause other issues, and you won't have to unistall and reinstall fomm this way. I then used delete local content through steam for the basic delete, then delete the entire game folder manually to get rid of any left over mod contecnt that fomm didn't uninstall. Then go to the save game location and archive any files I want to keep, then I delete the save folder. I would then redownload  through steam. I have a disc version of the game so I generally only need to wait an hour or so even with a 5 mbps internet for the game to install the dlc content as the main game installs from the disc. If you don't have a fast internet connection (such as only 5 mbps or less) then it's best to start this right before you go to work, as it will take 6-8 hours or so to install. I did that once and then quickly found my disc the next time I wanted to install, and I now have a 20mbps connection so it's hella faster on download time also.

Step 1: Remove all mods via FOMM, NMM, or whatever manager you choose to use.

Step 2: Go into Steam, right-click New Vegas, and "delete all local content".

Step 3: Go into the folder Steam/Steamapps/Common and delete the Fallout New Vegas folder.

Step 4: Go into My Documents/My Games and delete the Fallout New Vegas folder.

Presto, full and complete purge of New Vegas content. Open Steam and reinstall.

Well, I did it ...

Thanks allot for all you adviced.

Haven't reinstalled completely ... but since I have made the "Common-Resouces-Packs" (fomods) as described here ( http://sexout.wikia.com/wiki/Sexout_Common_Resources_Installation_Guide ) I hope, the weariest and  trickest part of the sexout installation will take only a few mouseclicks. I think these files are still up to date.

Greetings

Swyke

Archived