Immersive Jail Bars SE/VR/LE

Are you also bothered by the fact that most jails in Skyrim have the bars so far apart that for most people could squeeze through without breaking a sweat? Well, then this is a mod for you.
- You can either download just the model files and use them in your own mods (please note that you may have to change the texture paths in the nif files, or you can put the textures in textures/gargamel9 in your mod if you want to avoid this),

- Or you can install the replacer via your favorite mod manager. Please note that this will replace all the "impjail" walls, door frames, and tops with my altered double bar density models. The original models won't be available until the mod is removed again.

- The three modified Nord cage models are only included in the modders' resource pack

I am not sure whether there is a difference between SE and LE .nif files, probably not, so it is likely the mod will work in LE, too, but I did not test that. Please let me know if you do, so I can change the description correspondingly.

Modders, please feel free to use the files in your public mods, share and distribute them, so long as credit is provided

As always, great many thanks to philo221, for advice that was instrumental in making this work.

Edit: I have confirmed that the Immersive Jail Bars unfortunately do not work with the regular/LE edition. I do not know why and I probably will not take any action to address this, as my priorities lie with VR (SE). Anyone up to the job, feel free to make an LE version.

Edit 2: Somehow, I did not follow the thread associated with this file, so I did not notice all those comments until now, so I apologize for responding late to queries. As many LE users may find it useful, I am re-posting advice posted by ColonelOnkled regarding how to make this mod work in LE. Thank you colonel!

ColonelOnkled

ColonelOnkled 

Posted May 23

I found a fix for LE. You just need to download SSE NIF Optimizer https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089 and convert the folder with the mod's meshes into LE.

Make sure you backup your files beforehand.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    03/16/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    Not Applicable

• 2 months later...

The guards just need to feed the prisoners well. ?

Good idea. I never thought about it myself but it make sense. And there has been some real life escapes like that. I remeber a case where someone that stripped naked, smeared himself with butter and managed to squeeze through an airwent. He got captured again soon after but are know as the "17 cm man" since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Buridan said:

How does this affect parts of the gameplay where you have to talk to someone through the bars (eg Sibbi Black-Briar, Sinding, the Alikr prisoner)? Even with the vanilla bars it's sometimes a bit tricky.

As far as I can tell, there should be no difference, as the collision box is the same as the original bars. If I understand how this works correctly that is.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:12 AM, Vomit2 said:

I really do like your mod, but you should add a HQ texture option.

thanks, unfortunately, as I don't plan on adding a high-res version any time soon, since I play in VR and my computer struggles with the vanilla textures already and I have a lot of other stuff on my hands. But if there is a mod out there that adds higher resolution textures for jail bars, you could try and use them by renaming them and overwriting mine.

2 hours ago, gargamel9 said:

As far as I can tell, there should be no difference, as the collision box is the same as the original bars. If I understand how this works correctly that is.

Good to know, thank you. :)

Putting it on my list for when I start another Skyrim playthrough. The vanilla bars are indeed a bit ridiculous.

• 2 months later...

The esp replaces the standard imperial jail walls and roof with my version thereof, so if you install it, all imperial jail walls will transform into this. There really isn't a downside to this, so I recommend it. The esp-less version is just a resource pack for modders who would wish to use it for some other purposes, and it additionally includes the modified nord cage, which isn't part of the replacer version.