I have not been a player in the elder scrolls story line, but having played fallout 3 and 3.5(New Vegas) I am considering it as my next game to play.

I am looking for advice on several topics:

1) For folks that are new to the elder scrolls world what should I read or review to get more enjoyment from Skyrim before playing, if anything?

2) A list of recommended mods.  I've got a pretty nice system for gaming, I'd like to really see what it can do.

3) Finally, Is it worth playing modless the first time through then add the mods, or fuhgedaboudded and mod straight away?

I'd say play without mods first. I did that with both Oblivion AND Skyrim, just to get the just of what the game was like. (Then again, I first played Oblivion on the 360, and got Skyrim on launch day so there were no mods to add. ;D)

As I went along, I added some small mods if I found certain things annoying. (for instance, there was a mod that made dogs a bit quieter, and a mod that made a certain quest animal "back off").

1. no, just play away

2. first off you NEED SKSE, and SKYUI then a body and skeleton, recommend cbbe or UNP (both tbbp) then maybe a few armor/weapon mods that match your body type, and a follower mod (UFO) and a horse mod (Convinient horses) then after that anything goes

3. i tried playing modless, beat the game was entertained, played modless, never beat the game again.... i dunno if that answers your question but thats how it was for me

hope my answers helped :D

Guest airdance

I played without mods, because I didn't know what to do with the mods.

I added the mods as I went and by the time I had beat the game, I was running about 20 mods at the same time.

It has been almost a year since I made my first personal mod. Once you get into the modding end of it the fun never really ends.

My final opinion is that playing with the mods really enhances your gameplay and overall experience

1. no, just play away

2. first off you NEED SKSE, and SKYUI then a body and skeleton, recommend cbbe or UNP (both tbbp) then maybe a few armor/weapon mods that match your body type, and a follower mod (UFO) and a horse mod (Convinient horses) then after that anything goes

3. i tried playing modless, beat the game was entertained, played modless, never beat the game again.... i dunno if that answers your question but thats how it was for me

Why do I need SKSE and SKYUI and why?

1. no, just play away

SKSE is a script extender that allows skyrim to use scripts that vanilla skyrim couldn't use on it's own. And it typically just makes gameplay more smoother (in my case)

SKYUI is a interface overhaul that makes the iventory/magic interfaces much more nicer and easier to use. It's a must have mod. And you need skse to use SkyUI.

Hi Cereburn!  Like you, I never played an Elder Scrolls game either, at least not until Skyrim.  Friends recommended to me that I check it out, and I bought it a few days following initial release after watching trailers and game reviews.  I've been addicted to it every since.  If you do decide to purchase and play Skyrim, personally, I suggest to play it and find for yourself what you like, dislike, and what you think is lacking or requires enhancing.  From there, you then can determine what mods may be the most suitable to you and your own unique play-style.  I know you're probably looking for something more specific, but everyone has their own unique style and preferences.  Cheers! 

When it comes to playing through for the first time, I'd honestly suggest reading less about it and just playing on a clean, modless install (except maybe SkyUI, it does wonders for the HUD). Knowing all the little exploits, glitches, and lore will definitely serve to increase your replayability, but I think it's best experienced as clean as possible the first time through. After that first time, I agree with the general consensus here. SkyUI, SKSE (you'll probably need it at some point), and at least a body mod/armour replacer. If you're not into skimpy armour, both CBBE and UNP have "form-fit" replacers that only alter the shape of the armour to make it look nicer rather than cut chunks out.

As for other mods, I suggest Immersive Armors http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19733 and Immersive Weapons http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27644 to add a lot more awesome loot to the world. If you enjoy difficulty in your game, I'd suggest Deadly Dragons http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3829 for a second playthrough.

Finally, I think this website http://www.skyrimgems.com/ is a very well-laid out resource that can help you fill in certain niches on things that are bugging you. Good luck on your Skyrim adventure!

1. no, just play away

SKSE is a script extender that allows skyrim to use scripts that vanilla skyrim couldn't use on it's own. And it typically just makes gameplay more smoother (in my case)

SKYUI is a interface overhaul that makes the iventory/magic interfaces much more nicer and easier to use. It's a must have mod. And you need skse to use SkyUI.

SkyUI doesn't just make the interface "nicer" it makes it actually usable with mouse and keyboard! I know it's been said way too often already but the original interface is a horrible console-ported piece of garbage.

I never played or even heard of Skyrim until my best friend bought me Skyrim & told me to just try it, your going to love it, I guarantee it.. :) then I played it without mods of course, I didn't  know Mods even existed, till I had beaten the game couple months later, then I came across nexus, when I was looking for a god mode, & i'll tell ya!!! WOW !! that has opened my eyes to soooo many possibilities, normally I would of shelved this game after playing it a couple more times but with every new mod I come across just totally renews the replay value of this game. I love this game even more now then when I first played it. all thanks to every single Modder not only on the nexus but especially to all the modders on LL, thay are an out standing group of people, & I myself am getting into modding as well.

if your asking about modding right away, I say hold off just a bit, get to know the game on how it operates, & if there are things you want to improve, then start from there.

My first mod was getting rid of the Bethesda intro screen, I hated having to wait a few more seconds just to get to the main menu. :(

I say play without mods first. Since i never finished Oblivion cause my first ever play with it is fully modded. I was able to finish Skyrim cause i played with it without mods, once you add mods you will have the urge to not stop adding new mods. lol

I've gotten the game and ended up playing it all night.

I have also downloaded SKSE and SKYUI, but haven't installed them yet.

Other than the build your own house official DLC, which I got for $5. any other recommended DLC or should I play through first then get those?

Put both of the other DLC's on your steam wishlist and steam will email you when they go on sale.  The non-DLC portion of the game will definitely keep you busy until then and you'll have plenty to do without them.  I played Skyrim as my first Elder Scrolls game, and while I felt pretty lost lorewise through the beginning, just pay attention to what people are talking about and you'll be able to catch up to the story pretty well.  There are also a ton of books in the game, if you want to dork out and read those.  I ended up finding a .pdf that had all the book texts and read them on my ipad.

+1 for using only SKSE+SkyUI for your first go around, though if you also have a 2GB videocard, you can add texture mods too which don't change any gameplay but simply made the game prettier.  Also if you have that 2 GB videocard, the free Bethesda Hi-res pack (its a free DLC on steam) is a great and easy place to start.

Put both of the other DLC's on your steam wishlist and steam will email you when they go on sale.  The non-DLC portion of the game will definitely keep you busy until then and you'll have plenty to do without them.  I played Skyrim as my first Elder Scrolls game, and while I felt pretty lost lorewise through the beginning, just pay attention to what people are talking about and you'll be able to catch up to the story pretty well.  There are also a ton of books in the game, if you want to dork out and read those.  I ended up finding a .pdf that had all the book texts and read them on my ipad.

+1 for using only SKSE+SkyUI for your first go around, though if you also have a 2GB videocard, you can add texture mods too which don't change any gameplay but simply made the game prettier.  Also if you have that 2 GB videocard, the free Bethesda Hi-res pack (its a free DLC on steam) is a great and easy place to start.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that with the wishlist.

On the hi-res texture pack, I'm finding a number of them, but none that say they are from bethesda.  Can you give me a link?

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that with the wishlist.

On the hi-res texture pack, I'm finding a number of them, but none that say they are from bethesda.  Can you give me a link?

High-res texture pack

the hi res packs from bethsoft are in your steam shop (for free) in the links/dlc area to the rightside (dont know how it looks like in the big picture window from steam)

add it to the shopping cart and click the button, i'm not to sure right now if it says install or download (to long ago that i got it there and used it.. make sure you dont click "add all dlcs to cart" if you only want the hi res pack)

it will download 3 sets, maybe just 2 and updates to pack 3 afterwards (in my case its been like that)

after that, activate it in the launcher if its not already activated and have fun

I would advice to install the unoffical patche(s) and some mods which improve the obtics and convenience of the game:

A Quality World Map

Better Sortting

a Categorized Favorites Menu (there a lot of options for different classes)

Auto Unequip Ammo

Better Dialogue Controls

a watre mod like Pure Waters or WATER

and a bit for the vegetation Flora Overhaul + Lush Trees and gras

Lightning: Realistic Lighting Overhaul or Enhanced Lights and FX

and so on^^

The first three I recommend highly can't imagen the game without them

I think there is nothing wrong to make game look better and get rid of the consol origin during the frist play through

I've gotten the game and ended up playing it all night.

I have also downloaded SKSE and SKYUI, but haven't installed them yet.

Other than the build your own house official DLC, which I got for $5. any other recommended DLC or should I play through first then get those?

if you dont play through and u get dragonborn first, you might get some unfriendly visitors around your current populated area (like whiterun and riverwood for example)they are easy, if your around lvl 5-10, but if you fight then around 1-4 you are gonna die almost every time one of them hits you with magic then after that you could end up getting one hit by ANYTHING dragonborn related if you try to do the dragonborn saga to early, i recommend beating the main game story first, your gonna hate it but, and the ending to the main is kinda anti climatic but eh, it was fun to watch *SPOILER* *SPOILER* to the ground. :)

Which kinda makes sense because only after you retrieved the horn you're officially considered Dragonborn and the cultists can't try to kill someone whose existence they're not even aware of.

By the way you should probably put everything story related into spoilers to not make the main story even more boring for cereburn^^

Dude stay away from mods till you beat the game!

It's a friggin epidemic I swear, I install one mod and then before I know it it's midnight and I've installed 100 mods but haven't been able to finish the first quest.