Mad Companionship Spells, MCS Extension & HumanTouchNPC!

Thanks for the hint regarding from2ch lives. It would be really nice, but unfortunatelly, it requires MBP, and i don't intent to install this dinosaur. Removing MBP dep from tamago generators, and from bravil underground, is one thing.... fixing it for 300+ NPCs, is a bit much.

I'm currently in the process of trying out an alternate attempt: Creating replacement files for CM partners.esm and esp. The esp is just an empty dummy. The esm only contains ai-packages for eating, sleeping and wandering, as well as combat styles. Nothing else.

One then for the actual NPC files would go and do this:

- remove the NPC script (usually "partnerScript")

- disable quest and no-rumors tag

- remove any ai-package that is not eat, sleep or wander

- remove any non-vanilla item from the inventory (things like "ponderitem", etc... they're only there for idle anims)

- remove any spell that starts with "cm..."

From what i understand so far, this should make a CM NPC only depend on basic AI schedules (used when not recruited) and fighting styles (which are not directly linked to scripts). The reason why i claim this carefully, is because the NPC files have some references which i do not understand yet. It per NPC is just one or two, but i still need to understand that.

The above steps per NPC are actually easy and very quick to do (at most 1min per NPC). It is much more hassle, to get the NPC-file to load into CS, because it also depends on the esp, which temporarily needs to be turned into a master..

While on that note: Anyone knew that CM Partners replaces COBL scripts? I'm a noob, but i don't think it's supposed to do that. The ESM also references a bunch of stuff, which is nowhere to be found in the main CM partners package.

EDIT: Almost forgot - found one more issue with MCS.... the relax command tells a companion to undress, no matter if he/she is sleeping or not.... meaning they'll walk around naked even while not sleeping. Temporarily hackfixed that, by simply removing the undress flag... one can then use a plugin like humantouchNPC, to in a generic way make followers undress when sleeping (it has an ini option for this).

on the relax command, if they have clothing they are "supposed" to put that on.  If they just have armor then they go to the birthday suit.  That was the way it was supposed to work, they might have F'd up the scripting however.

That makes sense if one thinks about it, and some might even call it "realistic".... but i don't think that's what a player would expect. I think a player would expect: if haveCloth then equipCloth elseif haveArmor then equipArmor end

Additionally, given that such a script does not check location, even the appeal to "it make sense/is realistc" may go ridiculous: Imagine telling a companion to relax in a tavern full of people..... yup, totally obvious why they would rather go naked :-P In short, i think this feature is "overthinking" it a bit (and making assumptions, which might not be the case (see the tavern example)).

No your right, what I "meant" to say was if they don't have clothes they stick with the armor they do have....or "should".

However, right now they just seem to go the naked route.  Certainly could use some clean up.  However, scripting is my weakest link so it won't be me that tackles this one.

Bah, goddamn hardlinking memoryrefs. What use is a HL like language, if you cannot link things by their ID instead of their memref.

Short version: The "replace the esm"-idea has mostly failed. Reason: Even though all the needed packages and stuff are there, the NPC-files no longer find them, because they linked some memaddr instead of packageID. >.> I'd basically have to reassign packages and combatstyles to every NPC manually, because the fileformat is too stupid, to in addition to script-sourcecode, also store ID-refs.

Update: GOT IT TO WORK!

Took the original master, did the earlier mentioned cleaning of NPCs (why they redundantly belong in the master, is anyone's guess), then loaded it into tes4edit and slaughtered everything that isn't an aipackage, combatstyle or spell (interestingly, it turned out that it was okay to keep the spells - they dont use any scripts directly). Et voila, they work just fine.

A few things i noticed: The NPC-files themselves sometimes have an additional line added to greeting-dialogs, which depends on original CM script stuff. That has to be killed in tes4edit as well, else you get a ctd about 5secs after they get into view (dont even have to talk to them. I guess oblivion preloads this stuff).

Will have a kit and step-by-step howto available later today.

That makes sense if one thinks about it, and some might even call it "realistic".... but i don't think that's what a player would expect. I think a player would expect: if haveCloth then equipCloth elseif haveArmor then equipArmor end

Additionally, given that such a script does not check location, even the appeal to "it make sense/is realistc" may go ridiculous: Imagine telling a companion to relax in a tavern full of people..... yup, totally obvious why they would rather go naked :-P In short, i think this feature is "overthinking" it a bit (and making assumptions, which might not be the case (see the tavern example)).

No your right, what I "meant" to say was if they don't have clothes they stick with the armor they do have....or "should".

However, right now they just seem to go the naked route.  Certainly could use some clean up.  However, scripting is my weakest link so it won't be me that tackles this one.

Sadly, that's default Oblivion behaviour, and nothing to do with the scripting in MCS. If you give an NPC an AI package that has the 'Unequip Armor' checked, they will unequip their armor and walk around naked if they haven't got any clothes in their inventory. And if you don't check that box, they don't remove their armor. Oblivion basically uses a process of 'equip armor unless told otherwise, then equip clothes in any open slots'. It doesn't then go back an equip armor in any slots that remain open. The only way you could do that is to 'force equip' in a script, but that can cause its own problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how this works with full mage companions in combat? I'm thinking of creating a companion that's completely focused toward the mage class and I wonder if mcs supports mage style combat or it defaults to hack and slash for everyone

Anyone know how this works with full mage companions in combat? I'm thinking of creating a companion that's completely focused toward the mage class and I wonder if mcs supports mage style combat or it defaults to hack and slash for everyone

If I remember right there is a fight ranged setting you can pick but it has been a bit since I messed with this.

You can set up mages to adjust their "line of fire", but they will still end up roasting you to a crisp if you are not careful. Either that or they will ineffectively hurl fireballs at a wall. They work fine when they have some room, but corridors can prove tricky for them to navigate.

I usually have a companion set up to just heal, and they seem to work fine. It can be a bit difficult if you confront a mob that insists on ignoring you and attacking your mage, though. 

Difficult to say which mod includes this overhauled Mazoga. The eyes look a bit like XEO cat eyes, but they could be any slit pupil eyes.

It might even be a personally customized version of the character not available for download?

For a truly unique and better appearance of the Orcs you might give the Orcish overhaul by Ploms a try. The most obvious change to the race is that the head mesh has a humanoid nose. The mod has a multitude of Orc variants to choose from with different skin types and colours, better hair and eye resources as well. But they get to keep their trademark tusk-like teeth.

Here is an old picture of a testing character I made with one of the mod's Orc races. Keep in mind I deliberately chose these particular eyes - while Orcish NPCs overhauled by the mod oftentimes have different, less humanoid eyes.

malauchshrine.jpg

As 'Gra-Uush Bonekeeper' to the left proves, some Orcish NPCs added by mods aren't affected by the overhaul and stay vanilla.

XEO Orc races on the other hand have an even more humanoid appearance with tattooed tan skin and ears decorated with jewelry.

sharonne.jpg

Breast tattoos not visible because of the 'hair curtains'. Male XEO Orcs have more leathery skin with stubbles.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any chances we could see a fix to the jail bug? Lot's of mod around here about the subject sound nice, but would break with MSC which is a shame really. I tried fixing that myself but always end up making things worse lol

I'd also request again if possible that someone who is skilled enough and interested enough to code something like companion share and recruit with an order to MSC companions to pick locks, which would make roguish companions much more useful. Again, I've tried this with no great results sadly!

About the jail thing, well its not a bug but more of a limit, in the sense that if we have companions and the PC is thrown to jail, the plugin will instantly go to the load screen. Of course, there is an option that we can order the companions to wait as a work around but sometimes guards attack for minor things :P and we don't have time to stop them from throwing the PC to jail and that kinda make jail mods useless to some degree. I was just wondering if someone had work around that.

As for this plugin not getting worked on any longer, that's too bad and guess I'll have to make more messes lol! Oh well thanks for clearing things up. :)

Ok, I see what you are talking about.  Companions were not something that Bethesda planned for in Oblivion, at least not long term ones.  Most of the limits\obstacles are in the game engine itself.  If you are going to get into a sticky situation that may involve you taking on guards or getting arrested, you probably should tell your companions to wait somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Hey all.....what mods is this not compatible with? I've used several follower mods and if you have other mods such as nirins business plan.......lovers comfort......sexis ......ect that all give dialogue .....the followers mods screwed up the dialogue .....any help would be great

Hey all.....what mods is this not compatible with? I've used several follower mods and if you have other mods such as nirins business plan.......lovers comfort......sexis ......ect that all give dialogue .....the followers mods screwed up the dialogue .....any help would be great

What?  :s

Dude, you are in the wrong forum section!!!!  Lovers comfort, Nirins and Sexis are freaking Skyrim plugins.  This is the Oblivion section.

This plugin is compatible with pretty much all Lovers with PK plugins.  It is NOT going to be compatible with other follower mods as they would be competitors.

• 3 weeks later...

Littles bug for me, nothing important but...
I have an error message just after load for compagnion HUD.
The game work but i dont have any companion hud.
I have darknified Ui, and tamago Hud, maybe conflict, i dont know..

I have a child, following me, i give armor, weapon, order, but she's lv 1, lol, 22 hp, if i have a new lv, she stay lv 1...
Is there a way to add xp for compagnion, help them to get levels, train them, choose their stats, ect....

I know vanilla mechanic is to give the level of the player character.
This is not really fun. But for the child, she's lv 1 (i'm 33), so she's alway "OS" by monster :s
poor little girl... x)

Guest Spikes

Companion master has an option where you can train a companion once/few days in a skill that you have. e.x train him to raise block skill. 99% it doesn't conflict with MCS, they're the 2 comp mods that japanese use, u can try add your child to Master Companion's list, try to train her then remove from companion. 

I don't use Tomago so dunno if it works, just a sugestion, if it works all good. Make a save before just in case( dunno how actors from such mods work with companion mods)

Oh yah, you could make her essential or tell her to stay home or something too. And there's in Nexus a mod that makes you the target instead of your companions,should be easy to find.

Companion master has an option where you can train a companion once/few days in a skill that you have. e.x train him to raise block skill. 99% it doesn't conflict with MCS, they're the 2 comp mods that japanese use, u can try add your child to Master Companion's list, try to train her then remove from companion. 

I don't use Tomago so dunno if it works, just a sugestion, if it works all good. Make a save before just in case( dunno how actors from such mods work with companion mods)

Oh yah, you could make her essential or tell her to stay home or something too. And there's in Nexus a mod that makes you the target instead of your companions,should be easy to find.

Yes thank's that's not a bad thing, but she still lv 1...

But it's better than nothing, ty! It's perfect, exept for level, and base stat :s I dont know if a mod like i search exist.

I'm going to ask in lover section for hiyoko/tamago forum :)

EDIT: Hey, lol, i search, and i found this. Read the description lol...

But it's just for troll, nothing serious. Take a look this mod! lol http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/5907/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D5907%26preview%3D&pUp=1