Guide: How to install Hook4

How to install Hook4
a guide by Olaf Sand - September 14, 2016

This guide will show you how to install the latest version of Hook4, VERSION hook4 msvs07 - 11.01.2016.

Important notes

• This guide would not have been possible without the great help from OysterMug. Thank you so much.

• I run Windows 10, so please keep that in mind when following the guide.

• Some steps of the guide have been slightly rewritten and the required files have all been uploaded to MEGA.

• This guide was written with V7.5 in mind, but should work with V10 as well. Please note that you don't need to follow steps 5 and 6, since the Final memory patch is not compatible with V10. However, V10 has a 4gb patch option which is located in the Options Manager.

Guide updates

1. Rewrote some parts of the guide to add more details.

2. Added a screenshot to show you what your Binaries folder should look like after you've completed the guide.

3. Added one more step to the guide. Thanks to ddman2 for the heads up!

4. Added one more step and screenshot to the guide. Thanks to gamerkid1919 for the heads up!

5. Added a guide on how to uninstall Hook4. Thanks to applejacks for the suggestion!

6. Added an alternative option to step 12. Thanks to Morius for the heads up!

7. Added note about V10. Thanks to Codename-74 for the heads up!

Here we go!

1. Make a backup of your Binaries folder before you install Hook4. For example, you can copy the folder to your desktop.

2. Download hook4(3)_msvs7.zip, bumped_skin_fix.zip, Final memory patch.zip and DirectX 9.0C Addon - 1.10.06.0 (June 2010).zip from this link:
    https://mega.nz/folder/zpNkxLRS#WEeW6QKWmFbbHd9U8xBu4Q

3. Extract hook4(3)_msvs7.zip into your Binaries folder. You will now have a a new folder (hook_data) as well as two new files (d3d8.dll and main.fx) in your Binaries folder.

4. Extract bumped_skin_fix.zip into the hook_data folder. You will now be asked if you wish to replace bumped_skin.fx with a new version. Click Yes to accept.

5. Extract Final memory patch.zip to your desktop. You will now have a new folder (Final memory patch) which includes two files: SHW32.DLL and TK17-114.001.exe.

6. Move SHW32.DLL and TK17-114.001.exe into your Binaries folder. You will now be asked if you wish to replace TK17-114.001.exe with a new version. Click Yes to accept.

7. Extract DirectX 9.0C Addon - 1.10.06.0 (June 2010).zip to your desktop. You will now have a new folder, (DirectX 9.0C Addon - 1.10.06.0 (June 2010)) which includes one file: Setup.exe.

8. Run Setup.exe. It's in German, but just click through it without changing anything.

9. Restart your computer.

10. Start the game by double-clicking TK17_Launcher.exe in your Binaries folder. If you're experiencing game crashes after following this guide, another option is to start the game by doubleclicking TK17-114.001.exe in your Binaries folder. Hopefully that should fix it.

11. When the Start Menu appears, go to Options and set Renderer Type to DirectX. Click Save, go to Free game and click Start.

That should be it. Good luck! ?

Screenshots

This is what your Binaries folder should look like after you've installed Hook4:

1685872190_Binaries(withHook4).jpg.67a1ffafa27bb47eb46aa5bfef9e828b.jpg

Note! The mainfx_errors text file will appear in your Binaries folder after you've run Hook4 for the first time.

This is what the Options section in your Start Menu should look like when you're ready to run Hook4:

1935247712_StartMenu.jpg.4d11f9f848412b1241ef128d817b3e63.jpg

How to uninstall Hook4

1. When you wish to uninstall Hook4, delete the Binaries folder that is currently in your TheKlub17 folder.

2. Remember that copied Binaries folder that you made in Step 1 of the How to Install Hook4 guide? Locate that folder and move it to your TheKlub17 folder.

3. This step only applies if you played the game with Renderer Type set to OpenGL before you installed Hook4:
    Start the game. When the Start Menu appears, go to Options and set Renderer Type to OpenGL. Click Save, go to Free game and click Start.

NOTE: If you just want to temporarily disable Hook for whatever reason, simply rename d3d8.dll to something like d3d8.dll.OFF

To get you started, here's a few level definition files. These go in any ActiveMod folder for their respective rooms (unzip them):

First is one I downloaded for the 3DGC_House  (I don't remember who made it and I can't guarantee it's the original)... 3DCG_House_level_definition.zip

The second is for the Bedroom (my own). It gives it that "romantic glow from the motel parking lot" look... Bedroom_level_definition.zip

Last is for a custom Pool... I included the entire room, cuz it just kinda doesn't work anywhere else (you may decide it doesn't work here either)... Room - Pool Sunset.zip

But that'll give you something to look at, at least.

OH, and here's a pdf on how all that shit works (probably been linked to 1000x, but once more can't hurt)... Hook4 Level Definition Lighting Guide.pdf

8 hours ago, TobyBoyDomRP said:

confirmed working for VX (never understood what hook actually was before now.)

be aware some of my non-hook rooms seem to have 'lost their lights' under this setup.

edit: actually ALL the lights are gone. only 'daytime pool' and 'yacht' still have a light.

everything else is dark.

Anything that doesn't have a level_definition.txt file in its ActiveMod folder is controlled by the main.fx file in your binaries folder. So either "everything else" has a level_definition.txt (doubtful), or you don't have the default main.fx file (more likely). I'm PRETTY SURE this is the original, but I don't guarantee it (backup your old one just in case)... main.fx

At any rate, main.fx is just a text file, you can edit it with notepad. Instructions are in the https://www.loverslab.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1033457

2 hours ago, EJAX said:

Anything that doesn't have a level_definition.txt file in its ActiveMod folder is controlled by the main.fx file in your binaries folder. So either "everything else" has a level_definition.txt (doubtful), or you don't have the default main.fx file (more likely). I'm PRETTY SURE this is the original, but I don't guarantee it (backup your old one just in case)... main.fx

appreciated, but the main.fx file is fresh off the new hook4 install. trying to replace it caused a problem. also, under FX (v10.1.00p) the level_def, or something like it, lives in ADDONS (no longer in active mod)

room392.Hotel.Room, upon further inspection, has a multitude of working lights. it lives in a zip.file under ADDONS. I am trying to determine what is different about it. no luck so far.

EDIT: one possible problem is that many of my existing level_defs are clearly hook5. but then, how were their lights working before?

47 minutes ago, TobyBoyDomRP said:

appreciated, but the main.fx file is fresh off the new hook4 install. trying to replace it caused a problem. also, under FX (v10.1.00p) the level_def, or something like it, lives in ADDONS (no longer in active mod)

room392.Hotel.Room, upon further inspection, has a multitude of working lights. it lives in a zip.file under ADDONS. I am trying to determine what is different about it. no luck so far.

EDIT: one possible problem is that many of my existing level_defs are clearly hook5. but then, how were their lights working before?

Only a level_definition.txt in an ActiveMod room will have any affect in hook 4. That MAY have changed in one of the recent updates, I don't know, I highly doubt it. Very few people care about Hook4 anymore.

What's probably different about room392 is that it has a hook4 compatible level_definition. The contents are very different, but basically if you see anything in there that says "cubemap, cubecenter, cubesize" it's for hook5; "use_sun, use_envcolor, use_skycolor"  it's for Hook4. It is possible to have both, but it's not usually done. There's a possibility that an unreadable level_definition.txt might be cause everything to go black. You might try just moving the level_def out of the folder and see if it uses the default lights.

I probably have a different version of Hook4.. I think mine was "Beta 10" (don't quote me on that)?  Supposedly it had better color, contrast, something, but there was also some trade-off? .. I don't remember now.. But here's the whole thing if anyone wants to have a look...

Hook4.zip

4 hours ago, EJAX said:

Only a level_definition.txt in an ActiveMod room will have any affect in hook 4. That MAY have changed in one of the recent updates, I don't know, I highly doubt it. Very few people care about Hook4 anymore.

I appreciate that we are able to talk through this issue. I hope this conversation assists other K17 users as well. 

I don't mean to be a pest, but VX is different than 7.5.

at some point a hybrid system was implemented where ADDONS folder

preempted the ACTIVEMOD folder. (I know, it sounds strange)

I can assure you that the hotel level_def is not in ACTIVEMOD. 

I suspect that the hotel level_def is within the hotel zip file re-labeled as a .bsb 

I think we are side-stepping an important question. HOW was VX correctly interpreting the hook5 level defs before I installed hook4? was/is there some little helper file that handled this?

with your help I hope to get this figured out eventually, big thanks to you and everyone.

2 hours ago, TobyBoyDomRP said:

I think we are side-stepping an important question. HOW was VX correctly interpreting the hook5 level defs before I installed hook4? was/is there some little helper file that handled this?

That's what I was saying, hook 5 level_defs don't work with Hook4. You need the Hook4 versions of them. If they're newer rooms they might not have any. But if they're older ones there might be a chance the author included both. If so, there'll usually be Hook5 & Hook4 folders in with the addon. But usually you have to go searching for them (or write your own), and with there being no more modgarden, that's not going to be easy. You'd have to ask someone else where to get them, cuz I only have a handful, and none for the rooms you mentioned. The best I can tell you is that if you remove the _level_definition.txt file from the addon, you should at least get the default settings from main.fx. And if THAT doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I posted the pdf on how to write level_defs.. https://www.loverslab.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1033457

I'm always glad to help, BUT... It should be noted that I'm NOT the Hook expert! I have only a rudimentary understanding of Hook4, and about 3 days experience with Hook5 (FREE version). I use them only when I absolutely can't achieve a certain "environment" with the standard light controls. And, as far as I know, that's ALL Hook4 is -- lighting. Hook5 is a bunch of other stuff that I just have no use for (most of which you don't get with the free version anyway, so what's the point?). Plus, the lighting scheme makes no sense to my brain.

Anyhow... For any further Hook inquiries, please see the lady down the hall. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I still use Hook4, I never was able to get Hook 5 working on my potato. Since this seems to be the only Hook4 centric thread, I'll post a few Hook 4 rooms I've got for others to use. I've been able to use these as a template to hook other of the same rooms. 

R_PirateShip H4.7z R_Barn2 H4.7z R_Laboratory H4.7z

R_h4p_Space_Station.7z R_Photostudio_Imaging.zip R_h4_Old_Dirty_Toilet187.zip R_Photostudio_Imaging Hook4 files-object.zip R_Asian Bedroom modern H4.7z

these next two are made out of hook 4 objects and are a little buggy. They use the the pirate ship.

powerboat on the sea.7z barge.7z

Edited by Fidgety
adding
  • 4 months later...

Olaf, you're a lifesaver

I was installing VX unto my new PC and first try... as always wasn't working at all and like a dumbass I hadn't saved anything and I had messed up everything lol, I was forced to re-install from scratch, this PC is insane, so it wasn't a big deal, it's annoying, but it's done fast. After a couple of tries I finally launched the game and it works perfectly, though without hook. At least there was that. Now, I tried installing my previous H4 from my older VX, but clearly it didn't work, the game wouldn't launch. I googled Hook4 VX, etc...and somehow arrived back to this site (where I was registered already anyways) and man man, this hook4 works smoothly without any problems, I can safely go back to playing VX, thanks a lot !

PS: holy hell, launching VX on a brand new gaming PC is so insanely fast, I takes seconds to load, I barely have time to blink and it's already loaded and running lol, we all pased through having to wait forever to launch in 7,5, it was so painful.

• 10 months later...