Director of Argo should be made to apologise imo, hollywood keeps twisting history.

Dude500X

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/argo-condemned-nz-parliament-5366879

Story sums it up really.

How can Hollywood continuously get away with rewriting history like this?  I know for a fact there are a bunch of people bashing NZ right now because they actually believe what happened in this movie is historically accurate.

Ben Affleck is a ****, just going to say it like that plain and simple really.

Rant over :/

Anyone know of any other historical themed movies that are not true to the facts?  I KNOW there must be alot of em out there.. I dont see why Hollywood needs to always rewrite history like this.

Hold on. The article mentions "a New Zealander" drove the Americans to the airport. Are you certain it wasn't a Good Samaritan New Zealand civilian who drove them to the airport and not the article attempting to use doublespeak to confuse the audience? If your sources regarding the "America is banning soda" thread is anything to go by,  they're of dubious trustworthiness.  :-/

Hold on. The article mentions "a New Zealander" drove the Americans to the airport. Are you certain it wasn't a Good Samaritan New Zealand civilian who drove them to the airport and not the article attempting to use doublespeak to confuse the audience? If your sources regarding the "America is banning soda" thread is anything to go by,  they're of dubious trustworthiness.  :-/

The Movie says that we turned the hostages away, which is a load of horse shit.

When movies twist history like this people start to think the movies are the truth.  Kids think its the truth for example.

Also, unlike America, our state owned News doesn't lie to us everyday.

Ben Affleck insulted New Zealand by downplaying our role in the rescue of these hostages, there needs to be some accountability here.  Warping history needs to stop.

Truth of the matter is that if a lie is repeated enough that it becomes the truth, america has fallen a long way since the patriot act and the housing market crash and so it is up to hollywood to save america by providing movies that tell amricans that they are great and everyone else is shit. America once used france for this down playing france's role in our Independence and then using the early events of ww2 to unfairly label them pussy's. That all got old and now fresh targets are needed to sway the minds of the cattle

I swear, for every slight or ill, both perceived and otherwise, The Patriot Act is to blame. Quite frankly i'm getting sick of the total ignorance surrounding it.

I haven't seen Argo, although i'd like to, so I can't say whether or not New Zealand is being portrayed the way the article says, however I think some parliament needs to get off their hubris and sense of self-entitlement and realize that their diplomats from 30 years ago are being portrayed in that way in a hollywood movie whose purpose is to tell an entertaining story, and if that means some facts get bent or omitted...

deal-with-it-gabe.jpg

Last I checked, Argo was not a documentary.

Pretty much what something said. It isn't supposed to be 100% historically accurate nor does it ever specify it is. I have not seen it, nor do I ever plan to, but I bet they state it is based on a true story? Based on a true story doesn't mean everything actually happened. It means the events in the movie were inspired from a story that actually did take place. Every single Hollywood movie bends facts and uses inaccuracies to tell its story. It is entertainment. The objective is not to educate everyone who watched it. It is to entertain them and make as much money off it as possible.

And yeah, stupid people will believe it is all true. Stupid people believe what they want to believe. Always have, and always will.

People often take fiction for fact, even if they think they're not that stupid. It's the same with historical films as with biopics: for extra dramatic effect, some people get painted as bad guys that weren't. And because most don't bother to research the facts, the lie becomes part of the commonly accepted truth.

Saying that it's not meant to be a documentary isn't very comforting to the people who worked at the embassy or their descendants, who're gonna have to fight an uphill battle everytime the topic comes up because others *think* they know what happened.  It's not as innocent a lie as you make it out to be. I don't give a fuck about New Zealand's reputation here - all countries dabble in myth - but I do think the individuals' reputation is something to consider.

...am I seriously supposed to believe it's the movie director's fault the last-surviving member of the Iranian-New Zealand Embassy only just now, 34 years later, decided to tell that story?

The point is the director shouldn't twist facts when doing a film about real life events.

But by all means, continue scraping the barrel trying to make Hollywood look like the good guys..

American ignorance at its finest.

I don't think anybody is trying to make Hollywood look like the good guys, it's just the fact that movies based on real events DON'T have to strictly adhere to everything. Everything based on real things have been altered in some way, and getting bent out of shape because of something like this is pointless.

Or do you get angry at everything that doesn't adhere strictly to every known fact?

American ignorance at its finest.

And there it is. Your bigotry alone should disqualify anything you say.

bigotry?

America cannot judge others about bigotry... ahaha, but thats another topic entirely. (gives me an idea however for the politics section)

this topic is about how Hollywood continues to misrepresent facts, maybe America does not care, but alot of other countries do.  Especially when they are cast in negative light by egotistical hollywood directors.

Unless it's a documentary, you should consider all hollywood movies, Based on Stories, and don't take them as acurate school research material.

And Even documentaries, don't take them all for the truth, lots of them don't mention things, or twist words.

Another movie,

Patch Adams.

His "Girlfriend" aparently wasn't a girl at all, it was a dude, and no they where not gay. But yes he was murdered. .... Someone must have rolled over in their grave... >>_<<

Archived