Crash when entering Underforge for first time

Edit 8/07: Still haven't resolved this issue. If this stays dead for a week or so, I might make a new post (unless that's against forum rules)

Hey all, who wants to help a poor lost soul that knows nothing about xEdit and Papyrus logs?

I'm having a problem a little ways into a save. While trying to follow the Companions questline, I have the The Silver Hand quest that begins with a character asking me to meet him in the Underforge for the first time at night. I'm able to meet him at night, where he shows me the entrance to the Underforge, but once I click to enter and the game begins loading the next area, I have a near-instant CTD

Not sure what's causing this. I've tried a bit of hunting to see which mod might be causing this problem, but no luck so far. I'm posting my list of enabled mods below incase anyone spots a common error, otherwise if someone could walk me through how programs like xEdit or Papyrus work to pull CTD logs I'd appreciate it

Skyrim Modlist.txt

I'll have a look over it, but this is probably an issue with Aela being in werewolf form. I would check that (Sexlab) Werewolves is the SSE version, as the SSE and Oldrim version are hosted on the same page. The author says that (Sexlab) Werewolves for SSE is outdated and wasn't confirmed to work in the first place.

Hey,

I launched the game without Sexlab Werewolves enabled, but the game still crashes entering the Underforge. Do I need to start over with a fresh save in order to fix things, or might there be some other bug somewhere I can squash? 

Note that there was a cutscene in an earlier companion quest, where Varkas turns into a werewolf for the first time to fight The Silver Hand. The game had no issues during this moment, so I don't know if SexLab Werewolves is the root cause

Edit: I'm very excited to try out SL Werewolves Redux to make sure it works, but the game still CTDed at this point even with the Redux version enabled

maybe try this? :

make sure all werewolf entrys are turned off in SOS, there can be more than one hidden under different dick options in it's MCM

also try deleting the werewolf armature lines from the armors:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/95985-more-nasty-critters-special-edition/page/53/?tab=comments#comment-3019996

I really appreciate your help and patience so far MadMansGun, but I'm a little stuck. I'm not sure how to enable SSEEdit in my mod organizer (using Mod Organizer 2), and I also can't find where the armatures might be located (if at all) in the MO2 Virtual Folder

I disabled both werewolf entries in SOS (there was only Smurf Average and VectorPlus, my Horse Penis Addon didn't have a werewolf entry from what I saw), and I found a button in SOS to clean schlongified armors. Sadly the game still crashed (if relevant, I was still running the game with SL Werewolves Redux that you had sent me)

1 hour ago, SqueakyDolphin said:

SSEEdit

it's a program, not a mod.

1 hour ago, SqueakyDolphin said:

also can't find where the armatures might be located (if at all) in the MO2 Virtual Folder

IT'S INSIDE A ESP/ESM!!!!

13 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

IT'S INSIDE A ESP/ESM!!!!

Eek! I'm trying!

Sorry, I don't know how to open ESM/ESPs. I'm guessing that's what SSEEdit is for, but again I'm having trouble running it.

I have SSEEdit installed and unzipped, and it seems to find my base Steam game folder alright, but it doesn't see any of the mods I have enabled through MO2. That's why I thought I had to run it through MO2 somehow, and I'm not seeing exactly how I'm supposed to do that

FWIW I was trying SSEEditQuickAutoClean, since that's what was recommended by the YouTube video I stumbled on. Again though, that YouTuber is running SSE through Vortex and doesn't seem to have any problems pointing his SSEEdit at the Vortex SSE, whereas I don't understand how to point mine towards the MO2 SSE

43 minutes ago, SqueakyDolphin said:

I have SSEEdit installed and unzipped, and it seems to find my base Steam game folder alright, but it doesn't see any of the mods I have enabled through MO2. That's why I thought I had to run it through MO2 somehow, and I'm not seeing exactly how I'm supposed to do that

You need to add the SSE Edit executable to MO and run it through MO as with most mod programs (like FNIS, Bodyslide, etc.). Same goes for the Quickauto clean executable if you want to clean the official ESM.

For a step by step check link in my signature, step 9 is for SSE Edit (but there is a screenshot showing the process in step 7.1 that might be more helpful if you're not familiar with MO interface).

Okay, thanks to all the handholding I've received so far, I was able to get SSEEdit QAC enabled in MO2. I ran it, removed both werewolf armature lines, unchecked both werewolf schlongs, saved and reloaded to make sure it all got applied, and...

...still crashes as I try to enter the Underforge. Sorry all, looks like I'm not done banging my head against this wall yet

11 hours ago, SqueakyDolphin said:

Okay, thanks to all the handholding I've received so far, I was able to get SSEEdit QAC enabled in MO2. I ran it, removed both werewolf armature lines, unchecked both werewolf schlongs, saved and reloaded to make sure it all got applied, and...

...still crashes as I try to enter the Underforge. Sorry all, looks like I'm not done banging my head against this wall yet

then try turning off the werewolf settings in Creature Framework.

12 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

then try turning off the werewolf settings in Creature Framework.

I turned all the Werewolf (and Werebear, for good measure) settings in Creature Framework to Off, then saved and reloaded (FWIW I found the Werewolf settings on page 8 of 17 in CF)

Still crash, sadly

• 4 weeks later...

Hey i dont know what exactly is causing the issue but its with female werewolf. the reason why it crashes when you enter the underforge is because the game tries to load the female werewolf model for Aela, thus instantly crashing when entering. Im playing a female character and gave her werewolf ability and as soon as i transform it crashes. I disabled all sexlab related mods/addons and NO crashes. What i recommend until this gets fixed is just disable everything sexlab related and get to the point of which you wake up after your "rampage". Once you wake up and Aela talks to you you should be good to enable everything again (UNLESS YOUR CHARACTER IS FEMALE, IS WHICH CASE DO NOT TRANSFORM, IT WILL CRASH THE GAME)

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem of the game crashing when trying to enter the underforge for "The silver hand" quest of companions.

Asperas solution of taking off the sexlab related mods before entering worked for me and I was able to complete the mission. The problem seems to be with the female werewolf as the male ones in the mission showed up without problems.

Thanks for the advice.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had this same problem, and tried disabling SOS werewolf. Didn't work, nor did disabling in the creature framework. I tried disabling all sexlab mods, but that caused the game to say the save was corrupted and would not load at all. But when I reenabled the mods with the Nexus manager (and no, don't ask why I still use it; anything else doesn't seem to work properly for me) it asked if I wanted to replace a SOS werewolf file with the one from one of the sexlab creature mods. I said yes in the off chance this would work.

Sure enough, it did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 7:59 PM, kayn15 said:

I installed this, the version with no random spawns and it works: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8136?tab=description

No more crashes in the underforge and the werewolf transformation as female doesn't crash either.

Had the same problem as OP.
Installed the mod above, used the optional file Female Werewolf SSE.
Conflicting files with MNC as expected, made Female Werewolf load after MNC.
This allowed me to get into the forge, game still CTD'ed after Aela was done with her transforming roar animation.
Ran FNIS for good measure, booted up the game from an earlier save outside the underforge,
navigated to the creature framework mcm as described by LeRandomer above and setting Werewolf to disabled.

Fixed, it just works.