So I'm working on my first mod. This is just a test mod, copy pasting code from both LV and the Wild Lascivity addon Mods. So I did the best that I could and got the events to show up in a test game, but not the choices or images I was able to put it. I would like some help seeing what I'm missing and how to fix up the code. Please and thank you to anyone who helps out.

LVtestEvent1.zip

For the graphics: You'll have to register the files as sprites to use them as event pictures. See interface/eventpictures.gfx in Stellaris's game directory for examples. (Note that the sprite names you're using in the events aren't consistent; make sure to use the correct form of each)

For the events: You are missing some closing braces in the event file. I recommend using a code editor like vscode to make these easier to catch.

Zermelane thanks for the info about using vscode. I used it on the .txt file and found out where the brackets were missing. As for the event pictures I have no idea how to access the game directory. I mostly copy/pasted code from the two mods and re coded where possible. 

So how do I register the files as sprites, and what do you mean the sprite names aren't consistent?  Do you mean that [picture = GFX_evt_flesh_pit_1] should be [picture = GFX_evt_lvte_flesh_pit_1] instead?

Please and thank you again for the info!

They don't have to be consistent with anything outside your mod, it's just simpler to keep track of things when they're consistently named.

The game directory I'm talking about depends on the platform you're on. If you installed the game through Steam, it's under steam/steamapps/common/Stellaris in Steam's directory (probably; I'm on Linux and can't check what the path would be on Windows). You should treat it as read-only, but it's the the most complete source to find examples of how you actually implement stuff in Stellaris.

... though since LV and Wild Lascivity are bound to have those same files, you could also use them as examples, now that I think about it. Anyway, here's the eventpictures.gfx that I wrote (and put in LVTestEvent1/interface) to check that that was what it took to get the graphics to work.

lvte1_eventpictures.gfx

Yeah, if you made the same changes as I did, it should work. I didn't know earlier what happens if none of the options in an event are allowed (by trigger), such as when you get lvte_hidden_flesh_pit.2 as a hive mind here, but it turns out that it just gives an "OK" option that does nothing.

I don't play with either LV or Wild Lascivity, so I don't know what their standards are, but compared to the base game:

- In general, researching anomalies should be a good thing that you get some sort of mechanical reward for doing. A potential unavoidable -100 influence is only a reward for very masochistic players. Even the Ransomeers chain in the base game lets you make a choice between an influence cost and taking on a fight that you can delay indefinitely. Keep in mind that players also might just not have the resources for your options available at all, so life is a lot simpler if you just make sure that all your events will always have an option available that costs nothing.

- If you write event text that suggests a follow-up, that follow-up should actually happen. It doesn't have to be a whole event chain, but for instance, if the option text says that you are going to save some women on an asteroid, that option could simply trigger an event a couple of dozen days later that describes how the rescue attempt went.

- The text could use an editing pass.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:58 PM, Zermelane said:

Yeah, if you made the same changes as I did, it should work. I didn't know earlier what happens if none of the options in an event are allowed (by trigger), such as when you get lvte_hidden_flesh_pit.2 as a hive mind here, but it turns out that it just gives an "OK" option that does nothing.

I don't play with either LV or Wild Lascivity, so I don't know what their standards are, but compared to the base game:

- In general, researching anomalies should be a good thing that you get some sort of mechanical reward for doing. A potential unavoidable -100 influence is only a reward for very masochistic players. Even the Ransomeers chain in the base game lets you make a choice between an influence cost and taking on a fight that you can delay indefinitely. Keep in mind that players also might just not have the resources for your options available at all, so life is a lot simpler if you just make sure that all your events will always have an option available that costs nothing.

- If you write event text that suggests a follow-up, that follow-up should actually happen. It doesn't have to be a whole event chain, but for instance, if the option text says that you are going to save some women on an asteroid, that option could simply trigger an event a couple of dozen days later that describes how the rescue attempt went.

- The text could use an editing pass.

Thanks for the input. I've lowered the influence cost down to 10 from the copied mod code of 100, however I have no idea how to code the option to give you a event after choosing that option. Added a choice for hive mind with lvte_hidden_flesh_pit.1 working on something for .2 for hive as well.

• 1 month later...

Alright So I've been able to get more help for my mod. So here is the newest version of my mod. Feel free to download and test.

The mod itself is just a anomaly mod for asteroid's with some hentai pics and descriptions. If there's more that I think I should add or modify let me know.

LVTestEvent1.7z