Why does my namelist not work?

StarchildKiss

I am currently working on a mod and I also wanted to add a custom name list. I made one but everything but the leader names work. They are empty in the empire creation.

I tried so many things to fix it but can't find any problems. I even tried taking a different namelist and pasting my names into it but even this doesn't work.

I am out of ideas

Why are the leader names not working? Does anyone have any idea or want to look into my file?

Futas.txt

Hey!

I'm kind of a noob myself at modding, but lately I've been working at chipping away with Stellaris. I looked over your thing and noticed some issues, it's hard to explain so I'll do my best. Paradox doesn't make this easy.

Uh.

Your name list is like this:

# Always combined with a second name
            first_names = {
                Candy Aimee Jessie Krystal Bessie 

but on my list file its like this

first_names = {

"Licks"

"Receptive"

"Desired"

"Perfect"

so maybe try adding quotation marks? Not sure if putting them in rows matters, it might. Doesn't seem to for planet names.

let me know if this doesn't help

On 4/9/2020 at 3:20 AM, Valadile said:

Hey!

I'm kind of a noob myself at modding, but lately I've been working at chipping away with Stellaris. I looked over your thing and noticed some issues, it's hard to explain so I'll do my best. Paradox doesn't make this easy.

Uh.

Your name list is like this:

first_names = {
                Candy Aimee Jessie Krystal Bessie 

but on my list file its like this

first_names = {

"Licks"

"Receptive"

"Desired"

"Perfect"

so maybe try adding quotation marks? Not sure if putting them in rows matters, it might. Doesn't seem to for planet names.

let me know if this doesn't help

I tried both of your tips. I put all of them in quotation marks and put them all in rows. It still doesn't work. Any more ideas? I don't understand how it doesn't work. It makes no sense.

To be honest with you, when I did my name lists I started with AVI3 (avian 3) and just changed + expanded upon it. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, try editing a regular name list, is your namelist in a mod that is properly working? sometimes I do something stupid like forget the descriptor file in the folder and in the mod root folder, or there's a line of text that isn't calling the right path.

3 hours ago, Valadile said:

To be honest with you, when I did my name lists I started with AVI3 (avian 3) and just changed + expanded upon it. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, try editing a regular name list, is your namelist in a mod that is properly working? sometimes I do something stupid like forget the descriptor file in the folder and in the mod root folder, or there's a line of text that isn't calling the right path.

I just did that and replaced the names of the vanilla name list with my names and everything works but the leader names.

I don't get it.

Nah, the trick is error.log. You can find Stellaris's log files in a directory right next to the mods directory, wherever that is on your platform, and error.log can be quite convenient for debugging this sort of problems. The actual error message is a bit esoteric in this case (it's trying to parse the entire rest of the file after that quote mark as one string, and failing because it can't find another quote mark to end that string), but it gives enough information to at least tell where to look.

Archived