Anyone played Dark Souls?

Dark Souls was just recently released and I've had my eye on it for a while. I've been interested in it's concept and after reading and watching many reviews (all of them gave it high reviews) now I really want to get it. So, I'd like to ask, has anyone played, wants, likes, or dislikes Dark Souls? Post your opinion!

Well I saw Angry Joe playing Dark Souls and must say this game looks pretty cool.

I might buy it for x360 but since I don't play to much on console and this game is one of the hardest game ever made for consoles and Im kinda impatient guy...My pad would probably have unpleasant meeting with wall :D

Well I saw Angry Joe playing Dark Souls and must say this game looks pretty cool.

I might buy it for x360 but since I don't play to much on console and this game is one of the hardest game ever made for consoles and Im kinda impatient guy...My pad would probably have unpleasant meeting with wall :D

Haha, Angry Joe. Funny guy.

I'm kind of the same with you on the console part. RPGs are pretty bad (on consoles) and I mainly play FPSs or others (Assassin's Creed for example). But I think I'll be able trek through Dark Souls, I'm a bit more patient then I was before (you have to be patient if you played oblivion with my previous mod setup, crashy as HELL). On PCs, I dislike FPSs or any shooter in general and favor RPGs, RTS games, etc.

So, if Dark Souls was for the computer would you buy it (disregarding game requirements or if you're pc can handle the game)?

its an amazig game. currently level 72. be carefull its a very challenging game. ;)

Thanks for the response Polluxval, I'm definately getting this game!

It's also kind of funny how in the Wanted Games Thread you said a quick "nop" for Dark Souls. What changed your mind?

its an amazig game. currently level 72. be carefull its a very challenging game. ;)

Thanks for the response Polluxval' date=' I'm definately getting this game!

It's also kind of funny how in the Wanted Games Thread you said a quick "nop" for Dark Souls. What changed your mind?

[/quote']

ups... myabe i didnt know what game was, i think i confused it with another one. i just read a 9.5 on gamespot and look it at a local store and i said: what the hell... and im glado of that decision. i never enjoyed a game so good only with oblivion. i have a game to wait till skyrim arrives. :)

remember, its from the creators of armored core for answer, its a pretty amazing game but its difficult as hell so please dont blame me if u buy it and hate it. :s

Nah, I'll be okay, I enjoy hard games (played a bit of Demon Souls as well) as they give me a good amount of challenge unlike some other games *cough*fable series*cough*

I've also seen some walkthroughs, of the early game. Tell me, if you got this, how many times did it take for you to get the Drake Sword (if you did it, how many shots did it take?)? Is it worth it?

*spoiler alert *

its worth it... takes like 10 arrow shots on the tail to get it early when u go under the bridge. (ull know what im talking about when u see him) its hard to tune the sword but its a great sword, not the best for me but so far very good.

*spoiler alert *

its worth it... takes like 10 arrow shots on the tail to get it early when u go under the bridge. (ull know what im talking about when u see him) its hard to tune the sword but its a great sword' date=' not the best for me but so far very good.

[/quote']

Awesome. I've been looking at EpicNameBro's let's play of the game and it took him a lot more shots (I guess it's random though).

One more question (lol), Is the Axe of the Dragon King a good weapon? Is it worth it to train your strength to 50 to wield it or by then will any weapon be powerful enough that it won't matter? (Yes I saw up to there, I won't be watching the whole game before I play it though).

yea its great but not the best. and rising ur strength its the way im playing right now and it helps a lot. im slow with everything but with good timing u kill them in a blink of an eye, just dont miss or theyll rape u and its not like in oblivion with loverspk mod. :P

yea its great but not the best. and rising ur strength its the way im playing right now and it helps a lot. im slow with everything but with good timing u kill them in a blink of an eye' date=' just dont miss or theyll rape u and its not like in oblivion with loverspk mod. :P

[/quote']

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful responses (i'll be getting the game this week, I'll have more questions then)!

(i'll be getting the game this week' date=' I'll have more questions then)!

[/quote']

If find the wiki to be very useful:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

But dont spoil yourself to much. Not knowing whats ahead and learning by trying is one of the main appeals of the game. You will never get the awesome feeling of the first playtrough again! ;)

totally agree. also its very complex and ull need to play it again even after u beat it wich make even better. i didnt finished it yet, buti heard of a new game+ feature. i hope its true.

Thanks guys for the wiki link!

I stopped watching after the sewer dragon boss, I know nothing after that. It would ruin the experience if I knew everything before hand.

I'll probably look at the wiki after my first playthrough!

i look at it sometimes searching for secret passages. the best part of the game its playing it online becouse i find many secret doors/walls following the messsages left by other players. i really enjoy this game... unluckily no one has summoned me and i left many summon signs just before bosses and wai for a long time but so far no one its interested in getting help... anw, i already killed two invaders and i my self invade other realms killing people. :P

btw, i find an npc not listed on the wiki. i will send them a message regarding this. ;)

Guest flingingfeces

After watching/reading how good the first game is I decided to pick it up the other day. So far I'm only on the first stage past when you die, but it's been awesome so far. I really enjoy the combat and all, but starting the entire level over from the start with all the enemies back in place and loosing your all your souls kinda sucks. Stupid question do you still get expience other than collecting souls? I guess I could go play it to find out lol

• 4 weeks later...

I got Dark Souls today! :D

I'm past the Taurus demon, and kicked down the ladder so I could get to that bonfire, and that's where I stopped for now.

I'm really liking the game so far.

The graphics, soundtrack, and the atmosphere is a bit depressing, but beautiful in a way.

The combat is easy to grasp and fun.

The game is hard, but when you die you don't get angry, you only get better and it isn't a frustrating death. You just get back up and play harder and better knowing that you risk your souls.

The hardest part is how punishing the game can be, and how you have to ration and try to survive as best as you can. You have to be strategic, and that is something I love.

I'm really loving this game right now, I can't wait to play more!

• 5 months later...

After a few months I've finally been able to play more. I defeated the capra demon after finishing the undead parish and am making my way to the sewers. Awesome. I'm a bit worried that I'll get cursed, but it shouldn't be so bad since I got the ring of favor after killing this guy stuck in a cell in the cathedral. Progress is slow, but is surely being made.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following DS since this thread popped up and was considering getting it for the PS3. I may still do that but now I am leaning towards waiting for the PC version. Other than sports games (golf in particular) and racing games (Need for Speed and the like) I prefer playing on my computer!!!!

I've rung the 2nd bell and defeated Ceaseless Discharge and am now in the Forest.

I'm a little concerned though, how is From Soft going to translate the controls onto pc? I can't imagine it.

Still, I'm going to buy the pc version. You might think I'm crazy, but I want to buy it again and try it on PC.

I've rung the 2nd bell and defeated Ceaseless Discharge and am now in the Forest.

I'm a little concerned though' date=' how is From Soft going to translate the controls onto pc? I can't imagine it.

Still, I'm going to buy the pc version. You might think I'm crazy, but I want to buy it again and try it on PC.

[/quote']

Well, if you believe the articles I have read they really aren't going to do much with the keyboard/mouse setup - said the functions would be very basic. Last interview stated they are going to try to encourage folks to use a game pad :(

They also are not going to allow mods - the reason they said is due to them (the developer) not being experienced with them. Still they graphics were supposed to be a bit better for the PC version. :)

Archived