Quick Porting Guide for Skyrim Special Edition

@freyjaaxcel the only valid reason to convert from form 43 to form 44 is to get rid of any potentially confusing warning messages that the mod is not compatible with that version of Skyrim. Otherwise, there is absolutely no need to open the .esp in Creation Kit and save to upgrade it to form 44. Skyrim SE can load form 43 ESP's without a problem.

I haven't used Cathedral Assets Optimizer so I can't vouch for what it does or doesn't do, but again there is zero need to convert form 43 to form 44 by saving in Creation Kit. The only real issues are NIF optimization and BSA conversion (since LE uses a different BSA format than SE).

Yes - I see it does that by reading the page, but I haven't seen how well it actually works through actual testing. I'm not doubting what you are saying of course. If anything I'm re-iterating that there is some misinformation that this thread is unnecessarily spreading regarding what you actually have to do to get a mod converted from LE to SE.

Form 43 to 44 = 99% useless.

meshes/bsa conversion can be done by Cathedral Assets Optimizer in a few clicks.

sometimes textures need conversion aswell, converting textures to BC7 format is better and sometimes facetint files are in TGA format which causes CTD so converting them is necessary (Cathedral Assets Optimizer takes care of that too).

Animations obviously need conversion too and can be done by Cathedral Assets Optimizer as well.

Short answer: Cathedral Assets Optimizer.

Edit: If you deem converting plugins necessary then do what Grummkol said (post above me) it's easier and faster than making a change and undoing it.

After using CAO if the mod you're converting contains cell records/worldspace entries, it's a very good idea to load up the mod in xedit with the masters and unoffical patch loaded.

You can then run 

1. Waterflow fix for SSE script - this adds the water flowdata from SSE which was not in oldrim.  If you don't do this you can end up with weird water flow issues/seams.

2. Hishys remove underscore from cell names script - in SSE underscore in cell names are not supported.  If you mod contains this when you enter the cell you will not be able to save (and future saves will not show up under your current character, you'll need to go to "all saves" to see them) This script just removes the underscore if there are any.

3.  Forward changes from USSEP to the ESP - optional, but good practice.  Use show conflicts in xedit and forward the changes from USSEP into the ESP.  (mostly bug fixes and qol improvements like room/weather and location data).  Shouldn't require adding USSEP as master.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:11 AM, wpg97541 said:

@freyjaaxcel the only valid reason to convert from form 43 to form 44 is to get rid of any potentially confusing warning messages that the mod is not compatible with that version of Skyrim. Otherwise, there is absolutely no need to open the .esp in Creation Kit and save to upgrade it to form 44. Skyrim SE can load form 43 ESP's without a problem.

I haven't used Cathedral Assets Optimizer so I can't vouch for what it does or doesn't do, but again there is zero need to convert form 43 to form 44 by saving in Creation Kit. The only real issues are NIF optimization and BSA conversion (since LE uses a different BSA format than SE).

This is not the whole truth.... But simply resaving the mod isn't also the whole truth. For a quick guide I would skip the step. If you keeping it in the guide, you have to explain what needs to be done there and then it is no longer a quick guide. 

And there is one thing you should do with the esp no matter if you resave the mod or not: Always check it for errors in TESVEdit!

• 6 months later...