[Suggestion] Archiving Self-Responsibility

LongDukDong

Greetings.  I apologize if this topic has been brought up before, but I think what I am suggesting may warrant consideration.  This is in regards of topics classified as 'Archived', primarily those of work-related and downloadable content.

In effort to keep large thread to a minimum both for performance reasons and to keep things easily searchable; topics with greater than 750 replies may be closed and archived at staff discretion. A duplicate post by the same original author will be put in it's place along with the last page replies from the closed thread. The larger archived thread will remain searchable and present.    From:  Rules - Ashal

It's annoying.  I couldn't actually QUOTE straight from that thread......

As you can see, this governs topics of a grand scale and size.  However, some topics do not fall under this condition, but do become Archived due to their age and the apparent absence of the topic's author/creator.  That too is certainly understandable, this being an effort to prevent thread hijacking and/or necro-posting. 

But what if the member who created a thread doth return? Or mayhaps a current member who created a mod wishes to continue his work?  (Seriously, I always wanted to use 'doth'.)

The suggestion is to permit 'self-moderation' whereby the topic author may be allowed to open and close his or her topic at will.  ( Do we have any 'her's around?  After all " every woman on the internet is really a man" or so they say. )  After all, a member like Movomo may wish to revisit his Tamago Discharge system which is currently locked, or fejeena with Lovers Jealousy.

Now that is NOT to say everyone is given free reign!  Far from it.  Certain mitigating factors should come into play.  Does this member have suitable rights/permissions (possibly a 2nd tier account automatically promoted after X number of posts... yuck)? Is this in a board for actual download material instead of mere discussion or requests?*  Was this guy an ^$$ that got banned?  I believe that allowing such self-regulation could free up any future moderating/administrating issues if a member does indeed wish to continue development of a project or mod at a later date, or decides to end development his or herself. 

* Could be flexible if you permit threads for commissioned work where the author closes his topic when "Commissions are Closed".

At the same time, it could be prudent to have a recognizable icon/graphic indicating that topic had been archived rather than having the word balloon icon next to the topic be missing.  A padlock would come to mind, but I can see that it already exists as the 'Rules' topic uses such an icon indicating that  said topic is indeed locked.

Instituting that in the actual Download Manager might prove more difficult, I grant you.

Thank you for reading.

__o<   *QUACK*

between archived, closed and removed, consists is a skyfurther difference!
archived and closed threads can be reactivated, a PM to the moderator staff is usually enough.
but if members their threads can simply remove, then a lot of information goes, which might be important to others, lost!
good example, old 9Damao and Baidu Download Request Thread, many members have uploaded a lot of mods there.
but someday OP had a bad day and put out his thread!
My personal opinion, nobody should have this authority, Loverslab is too generous!
on Nexus I can not even remove my own post! :classic_wink:

13 hours ago, winny257 said:

but if members their threads can simply remove, then a lot of information goes, which might be important to others, lost!

Technically speaking, any member who uploaded content into the Download Manager can still access the actual content; this content being the screenshots, the version history and the actual downloads.  This is possible even for an archived topic and download, I have done just that and uploaded new versions of a mod within an Archived Download page.  However, the 'details' which affects the topic's 1st page cannot be edited whilst archived.

Likewise, I could delete my downloads within.  So Archiving it doesn't actually protect uploaded content. It appears to just prevent changes to the 'text' of the thread and prevent later posts. You may not have been aware of that.

There is apparently a downside to Archived content as well,, this  according to InvisionBoards, and tested by me.  Archived topics are skipped over when one is using the Search system.  So if you wished to look up any topic with 'Discharge' in the topic title, Tamago's Discharge by Movomo will 'not' appear in your list.  I can clearly state this as I performed this test today.  And that, in my opinion, is a serious problem.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, winny257 said:

For those who create mods that suddenly find their download and topic page 'archived'....  The above is NOT the case.    Yes, an archived topic and download can be deleted by the creator.  I know... I just did it.

For those that remember the Oblivion mod "Lovers Genderbender", it used to reside within the LAPF downloads section and was in the Sex Effects sub-category.  Some may recall it being there.  But if you had bookmarked those  links, those links are now dead.  It has been removed....

... And I re-posted it within the Oblivion Adult Mods board.  Well, it no longer depends upon LAPF so ... meh.

So if you receive no response on re-opening an archived project/mod topic of your own for editing or updating...  you do have other alternatives.

Archived