Has AAF stability improved at all?

I haven't played around with Fallout 4 or AAF since about...well, it's been months. April? May? I dunno. Anyway, back when I was trying to make a go of it, the stability of pretty much every AAF-dependent mod was so dreadfully shaky that it was a never-ending kaleidoscope of errors and crashes, usually after dozens of hours of gaming so a n00b like me had NO idea what was causing the problems. However, the problems were always present when I ran any AAF-dependent mods, and absent when I didn't. 

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here, but has the stability improved at all? Obviously it all depends on your rig and your mods and your load order and blah de blah de blah, but here's the thing: I'm an idiot and I can make Skyrim run smoothly with a full slate of SexLab mods, and when something is problematic I can narrow it down and remove the offender. With AAF, everything seemed to be the problem. I know that Skyrim has been modded for much longer and there has been more time to work out the bugs, but is AAF approaching the state where someone of my skill level can expect to run a reasonable slate of mods and handle the problems that arise? Or should I check back in a couple of years?

The stability of AAF has always been dependant on the ability to read instructions, be patient, take one step at a time and read everything related to AAF on this site. Do not relate well to those who throw at us a 200 mod load order totally mucked up, and crying the blues because nothing is happening and we are expected to instantly make you feel better by doing all your work and sorting out your mess. Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, maddadicusrex said:

The stability of AAF has always been dependant on the ability to read instructions, be patient, take one step at a time and read everything related to AAF on this site. Do not relate well to those who throw at us a 200 mod load order totally mucked up, and crying the blues because nothing is happening and we are expected to instantly make you feel better by doing all your work and sorting out your mess. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion. I'll know not to ask you for help until I've read all the hundreds or thousands of pages of information on AAF on the site, the vast majority of which is outdated and/or meaningless to me and/or very far over my head and/or contradicted by other information on the site, and then patiently spent weeks experimenting with every combination at all levels of the game to replicate the game-breaking errors that plagued me before. 

Of course, my point was that with Skyrim, I don't need a PhD in SexLab to make Sexlab work. If AAF is still at the stage where you require dozens of hours of study, extensive knowledge of coding and modding, and days upon days of trial and error just to make it not crash all the time when running pretty much any mod dependent upon it, then I won't bother because I know I won't be able to make it work. If it has progressed to a point where the general state of modding is more friendly to someone who doesn't understand modding and wants to be able to run some mods based on it, then maybe I'll give it a try again soon.

I think that the related mods have become easier to use in the time-frame you describe. Thanks in large part to the One Patch and body option improvements.

That said, there is still room to mess things up if you're going to install everything without paying attention to it.

I'm going to call bullshit on the claim that Sexlab builds don't require paying attention, reading and work as well. I've spent a lot of time on that game too.

Throwing out ultimatums that you will not use a mod if it isn't easy enough for you is typically received by mod authors and others that could help you as a laughably shitty attitude. Just FWIW.

11 hours ago, dagobaking said:

I think that the related mods have become easier to use in the time-frame you describe. Thanks in large part to the One Patch and body option improvements.

That said, there is still room to mess things up if you're going to install everything without paying attention to it.

I'm going to call bullshit on the claim that Sexlab builds don't require paying attention, reading and work as well. I've spent a lot of time on that game too.

Throwing out ultimatums that you will not use a mod if it isn't easy enough for you is typically received by mod authors and others that could help you as a laughably shitty attitude. Just FWIW.

My sincere apologies, it wasn't an ultimatum at all. Or at least, it wasn't intended to be. I know that whether I use your mod or not doesn't mean a thing to you, and I wasn't implying that it ought to. Rather, I was simply saying (or trying to say) that if it was still beyond my technical skill to use in a practical way, I wouldn't bang my head against the wall trying to make it run. It's not anyone's fault, after all, that a system of mods that's been in use much longer is more polished and easier to use than one that has been in use less time. 

And absolutely, SexLab still requires a learning curve to use. However, that learning curve is within my modest (but not absent) skill set, whereas when I was trying to make AAF work months ago, it was defeating people with much, much more skill than I had. Again, that's down to the fact that AAF is a newer thing than SexLab. I'm sure that had I encountered SexLab at a similar stage of development, it too woulds have proven beyond my means to navigate.

Thank you for your answer, it was very helpful. And again, I intended neither slight nor bizarre, meaningless ultimatum. I just wanted to know when I ought to try jumping back in.

Fair enough.

It's tough for others to judge when the right time would be for you. I think that several key confusions have been addressed since you last tried it. Support requests seem to be a lot less frequent than before. So, I would say that it's worth trying again. Just approach it in a methodical way (installing a few mods at a time and testing rather than huge amounts all at once).

AAF is pretty stable for me ever since I reinstalled FO4 to take advantage of the latest updates.  It did take alot of work to make sure everything was working correctly.   The One Patch to Bang Them all and the B70 animations was a bitch to solve though, but the trick was not to install B70 animations until after I'd installed the One Patch to Bang them all THEN install the B70 animations.   Things like that.

Archived