Delay with starting animations

Hi all. I posted this in the wrong topic initially so i'll try again here. I have what i would describe as a significant delay with animations starting? Everything actually works in my AAF installation. Animations do play and i have no crashes or error messages, but the "gathering" phase of animations when triggered by things like Violate is at least 30-40 seconds on average. Half the time the NPC that i'm going to have sexy times with gets bored and wanders off on their sandbox package as it takes so long for the animations to start playing. The animations do eventually play but all sense of immersion is pretty much gone by then.  My PC isnt a slow so i'm wondering what else might be slowing things down?

On 9/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, Teddar said:

Hi all. I posted this in the wrong topic initially so i'll try again here. I have what i would describe as a significant delay with animations starting? Everything actually works in my AAF installation. Animations do play and i have no crashes or error messages, but the "gathering" phase of animations when triggered by things like Violate is at least 30-40 seconds on average. Half the time the NPC that i'm going to have sexy times with gets bored and wanders off on their sandbox package as it takes so long for the animations to start playing. The animations do eventually play but all sense of immersion is pretty much gone by then.  My PC isnt a slow so i'm wondering what else might be slowing things down?

AAF needs to have a delay timer to allow for actors to try and walk to the location where the animation is. If you are in an area where their walk path may be complex, they could get stuck. Then, when the delay timer is reached it will just teleport them to the animation location from wherever they are stuck at. The walk pathing is part of the Bethesda engine. So, not much can easily be done to adjust that.

If you don't care for the walking and just want to skip or change the delay time, you can do that in the AAF settings. Look for the file "AAF_settings.ini". Open it and change "walk_timeout" to a lower number of seconds.

I'm working on a mod and recently updated from a previous version of AAF (maybe version 66 not 100%) to the current version and am having the same issue with all my scenes as Teddar describes. While they all worked perfectly before they now all have a 30 second delay. The walk paths between actors are not complex, with them usually standing within a foot of each other on flat surfaces that are well navmeshed. Having messed with the walk_timeout value it does seem to be the culprit. My understanding is that its not supposed to take the full 30 seconds if the actors are in range of eachother; however, in every one of my scenes, no matter where they take place or how close the actors are, the scene is delayed by the full 30 seconds. Right now I'm struggling to find a solution besides asking every single person that downloads my mod to change there ini settings to set there walk_timeout to 0.

Can confirm, I have the same Problem with the current version of AAF, which I didnt have with older Versions.

Also using LooksMenu 21:9 Version since Today, so maybe thats the Culprit (if the others experiencing the Problem also use that version) and the Ultra Wide Mod.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:11 AM, Kickinit09 said:

I'm working on a mod and recently updated from a previous version of AAF (maybe version 66 not 100%) to the current version and am having the same issue with all my scenes as Teddar describes. While they all worked perfectly before they now all have a 30 second delay. The walk paths between actors are not complex, with them usually standing within a foot of each other on flat surfaces that are well navmeshed. Having messed with the walk_timeout value it does seem to be the culprit. My understanding is that its not supposed to take the full 30 seconds if the actors are in range of eachother; however, in every one of my scenes, no matter where they take place or how close the actors are, the scene is delayed by the full 30 seconds. Right now I'm struggling to find a solution besides asking every single person that downloads my mod to change there ini settings to set there walk_timeout to 0.

Yes. If the actors reach the animation location it should immediately start the animation and not wait the full 30 seconds.

There must be some additional factor at play here as I can't reproduce this. I also don't think that I've touched that part of the code for many versions. If this was not due to an outside factor and happened to everyone using AAF I think there would be far more reports about it.

If you can discover what the additional factor(s) is I can take a look at troubleshooting.

19 minutes ago, street2 said:

Can confirm, I have the same Problem with the current version of AAF, which I didnt have with older Versions.

Also using LooksMenu 21:9 Version since Today, so maybe thats the Culprit (if the others experiencing the Problem also use that version) and the Ultra Wide Mod.

Hm. I can't think of how that would impact the walk detection. But, never know.

Thinking about this... I think what may have happened in your cases is that upgrading from such an old version caused the save to get broken because the walk packages were updated at some point in between. Starting a new game would likely fix the issue in that case.

How much is the number of animation packages and pose packages a factor?, on a high end machine that is? My PC is pretty fast but could the issue be caused by having a lot of these packs installed?. I can't see how it should be given that i had a metric ton of packs installed in my Skyrim installation and never had any issues. That said AAF aint Sexlab so maybe thats a bad parallel to draw.

8 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Yes. If the actors reach the animation location it should immediately start the animation and not wait the full 30 seconds.

There must be some additional factor at play here as I can't reproduce this. I also don't think that I've touched that part of the code for many versions. If this was not due to an outside factor and happened to everyone using AAF I think there would be far more reports about it.

If you can discover what the additional factor(s) is I can take a look at troubleshooting.

Hm. I can't think of how that would impact the walk detection. But, never know.

Thinking about this... I think what may have happened in your cases is that upgrading from such an old version caused the save to get broken because the walk packages were updated at some point in between. Starting a new game would likely fix the issue in that case.

Thanks for the Reply, I havent played Fallout 4 in about half a year and completely reinstalled it yesterday. Of course I also started a New Game.

AAF Mods I use that I didnt use in the Past or an older Version of are

RSE2 Brothel/CSA/Ressources/ReproductivitySystemEffects

Release50ShadesFluidPatch

Release50Shades

ReleaseBadEnd

TheAuctionHouseBeta

Other Mods I didnt use in the Past

Extended Dialogue Interface

Just Business

LstringBow

Xm2010SniperRifle

ZazExtendedSkeleton

So if its neither Looksmenu 21:9 nor the UltraWide Mod I guess it gotta be one of those. Will have to deactivate them 1 by 1 until I (hopefully) find the Culprit.

Do I gotta start a new Game each time or is loading a Save enough?  I guess Loading a Save will have leftover Scripts? sigh.

PS: Also noticed in my Case that Fallout 4 takes around 1-2 minutes to start, in the Past it would take maybe ~30 seconds I guess, might have something to do with that?

3 hours ago, street2 said:

Ive done another complete reinstall of Fallout 4, installed just the bare Minimum of Mods required by AAF and still got 30 second long Animation Load times.

At this point I dont know what to do anymore.

Right click on  AAF.ini   file and open Properties and Make sure the file is Not set to Read only first and you have Full permission/control of file in the security tab in the same window you just opened up. Then after making needed Changes to the Walk time in the AAF.ini file save it then Right click on it and open Properties and set it to read only.

20 hours ago, Teddar said:

How much is the number of animation packages and pose packages a factor?, on a high end machine that is? My PC is pretty fast but could the issue be caused by having a lot of these packs installed?. I can't see how it should be given that i had a metric ton of packs installed in my Skyrim installation and never had any issues. That said AAF aint Sexlab so maybe thats a bad parallel to draw.

I don't think it has to do with the number of animations. There is probably some memory limitation at some point. But, I don't think anyone has hit it yet.

12 hours ago, street2 said:

Thanks for the Reply, I havent played Fallout 4 in about half a year and completely reinstalled it yesterday. Of course I also started a New Game.

AAF Mods I use that I didnt use in the Past or an older Version of are

RSE2 Brothel/CSA/Ressources/ReproductivitySystemEffects

Release50ShadesFluidPatch

Release50Shades

ReleaseBadEnd

TheAuctionHouseBeta

Other Mods I didnt use in the Past

Extended Dialogue Interface

Just Business

LstringBow

Xm2010SniperRifle

ZazExtendedSkeleton

The only mods that potentially stand out to me are the RSE2 ones. I'm not completely sure how the final versions are set up. But, I did make a system in the API so that other mods could bypass AAF's packages and use their own. At least in earlier versions, I think RSE used this. So, it's possible that there is some issue with RSE's replacement packages (if it still uses those).

So if its neither Looksmenu 21:9 nor the UltraWide Mod I guess it gotta be one of those. Will have to deactivate them 1 by 1 until I (hopefully) find the Culprit.

Do I gotta start a new Game each time or is loading a Save enough?  I guess Loading a Save will have leftover Scripts? sigh.

It is tedious. But, in your case not nearly as bad as some others who have 200+ mods to check!

PS: Also noticed in my Case that Fallout 4 takes around 1-2 minutes to start, in the Past it would take maybe ~30 seconds I guess, might have something to do with that?

I'm not sure what would cause that. I guess heavy graphics mods like the HD textures update would typically be the culprit.

9 hours ago, street2 said:

Ive done another complete reinstall of Fallout 4, installed just the bare Minimum of Mods required by AAF and still got 30 second long Animation Load times.

At this point I dont know what to do anymore.

Without RSE installed?

On 9/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, dagobaking said:

I don't think it has to do with the number of animations. There is probably some memory limitation at some point. But, I don't think anyone has hit it yet.

The only mods that potentially stand out to me are the RSE2 ones. I'm not completely sure how the final versions are set up. But, I did make a system in the API so that other mods could bypass AAF's packages and use their own. At least in earlier versions, I think RSE used this. So, it's possible that there is some issue with RSE's replacement packages (if it still uses those).

It is tedious. But, in your case not nearly as bad as some others who have 200+ mods to check!

I'm not sure what would cause that. I guess heavy graphics mods like the HD textures update would typically be the culprit.

Without RSE installed?

With RSE 2 installed. I have no other Mod that initiates Scenes installed atm. RSE 2 could very well be the culprit, in the past I used RSE (1), though I dont know how other RSE 2 Users arent experiencing the same Problem.

Changing Walk Time in the AAF.ini helped in my case though. Dont know what the Problem is, but changing it to 10 Seconds = Animations need 10 seconds to load.

If I understand correctly something with the NPC Pathing gets stuck and so my Game uses the full  walk_timeout Value before failing?

Havent fixed the Bug in my Game, but I changed the Value to 10 Seconds, thats pretty Ok for me.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, street2 said:

With RSE 2 installed. I have no other Mod that initiates Scenes installed atm. RSE 2 could very well be the culprit, in the past I used RSE (1), though I dont know how other RSE 2 Users arent experiencing the same Problem.

Changing Walk Time in the AAF.ini helped in my case though. Dont know what the Problem is, but changing it to 10 Seconds = Animations need 10 seconds to load.

If I understand correctly something with the NPC Pathing gets stuck and so my Game uses the full  walk_timeout Value before failing?

Havent fixed the Bug in my Game, but I changed the Value to 10 Seconds, thats pretty Ok for me.

3 hours ago, 397780597b6b146ae6aed2d5ea said:

I'm having this issue without RSE2 installed. I will try and create a minimum reproducible load list.

In the MCM you can choose weather you want RSE or AAF to handle the walk to animations. I believe that you should really only use the RSE option when you have RSE Element Zero installed. Else just let AAF handle it. hope this helps

10 hours ago, 397780597b6b146ae6aed2d5ea said:

I'm having this issue without RSE2 installed. I will try and create a minimum reproducible load list.

That would be helpful.

Ideally, you can create an AAF_QA package that shows the issue. Those files and instructions are on the AAF discord (in the #tools channel).

Archived