[WIP] Rimworld - Playable Dragongirls

[WIP] Rimworld - Playable Dragongirls

This mod adds a new playable race to Rimworld, with a strong focus on melee combat.

Inspired by Soronarr's Monstergirls mod.

Who are dragongirls?

Dragongirls are a bizzare hybrid of woman and reptile. Their origins are unknown, but it is often speculated they are the result of genetic experimentation, likely with the goal of creating supersoldiers. Tho most civilized societies know of their existence, they remain fairly rare, and only seem to appear in female form. No male specimen has ever been found. Their rarity and unique appearance makes them a valuable commodity, so they are often hunted by slavers.

Dragongirls are very large, strong, and unruly. Obsessed with combat and respecting only strength, they will often turn on each other when there is no enemy to fight. Their bodies are covered in thick defensive scales and they can tear their prey apart with their teeth and claws. Their wounds close and heal rapidly, making them very difficult to kill. The combination of speed, armor and deadly claws makes them experts in melee combat, and many of them view the use of ranged weapons as dishonorable.

Insults and fights are their normal way of socializing, and they place great importance on their horns as a symbol of social status. Most humans probably won't enjoy being insulted or beaten however, making it difficult for them to get along with anyone but other dragongirls. They prefer hot, arid climates.

Notes

- Being fairly wild and feral, Dragongirls will never appear in crashing escape pods or as members of civilized colonies. The only way to get one is by either taming them from the wild, or buying them from slavers (or by birthing them if you use RimJobWorld).

- Dragongirls come with several variations of horns. If these are lost in combat, they can be replaced by steel horns made at the machining table. Alternatively you can craft Royal horns by gilding a thrumbo horn at the fabrication bench. Note that both of these require the Prosthethics and Bionics research respectively.

- I've included the .psd files for both the bodies and the horns in the Textures/Things/DGDragon folder. Feel free to make changes, new variations, or use them in whatever other way you wish.

- The pictures above used custom hair from the Rimsenal Hair Pack. I strongly recommend it as the vanilla hairs are somewhat meh. I also recommend Kiame's Show Hair With Hats, which frankly should be a vanilla feature.

- Dragongirls will frequently have traits like Abrasive or Bloodlust, causing them to insult and fight each other. This is normal and the rest of the mod was balanced with this in mind.

- This mod is intended to be used alongside RimJobWorld, but RJW is not a dependancy and this mod will work without it.

Load order

1. Rimworld Core
  2. Alien Race Framework
  3. Playable Dragongirls
  4. RimJobWorld (if you use it)

Future plans

• surgeries
    • plasteel scales increase armor
    • plasteel claws increase melee damage
  • custom skeleton art
  • laying eggs when impregnated thru RimJobWorld
  • add custom clothes and armors
  • add more monstergirls?

Known bugs

• Horns are invisible while sleeping in bed.
    • This is a known bug in the Alien Race Framework and there isn't much I can do about it

Thanks to:

- Soronarr for the original monstergirls mod and the inspiration to do this (also I may or may not have traced the dragongirl tail from his art)

- Ssulunge for the Kijin Race Mod, whose files I dug thru to figure out how the Alien Race Framework works (also I may or may not have used the Kijin body art as a base)

Montyi for the tip on improving graphic borders

Change Log:

Spoiler

13/6/2019 - Initial Upload

14/6/2019 - v0.2

• Fixed a bug with wild monstergirls not spawning
    • Currently the fix overrides the WildMan def, meaning the wild man incident will now always be a dragongirl. I'm looking for a better solution
  • Improved graphics (Thanks to Montyi for the tip!)
  • Added preview art to the mod list

16/6/2019 - v0.3

• Added 7 new backstories
  • Tweaked horn positions
  • Nerfed horn and tail HP (it used to be almost impossible to have these destroyed in combat)
  • Tails now affect movement speed
  • Added craftable prosthethic and bionic tails
  • Changed artificial body parts to be more in line with vanilla looks and mechanics
    • Changed art for body part items to vanilla art
    • Prosthethic horns and tails now craftable at machining table
    • Bionic tail and royal horns now craftable at fabrication bench
  • Added 2 tail variations

3 hours ago, whateverdontcare said:

I know the monstergirls mod has a seperate mod to add more detailed nudity. Is that compatible here? If I just replace these dragongirl textures with those ones? If not, could you make a version where it is, or has a different nude texture?

Sadly it isn't compatible as the monstergirls mod treats the entire body as one sprite, whereas this mod layers multiple sprites to allow for different color combinations. Also the body size and shape of Dragongirls in this mod and the ones in the monstergirls mod are different.

I might make a more detailed retexture later on, but there are still some core features I'd like to improve and complete first.

4 hours ago, Montyi said:

I made some edits for horns, maybe you will like them more ^^
Edit: try making thicker outline, for more rimworldish and so player can actually see parts as separate part if zoomed out

Horns.psd 426.14 kB · 4 downloads

Tried these ingame and they really do look much better. Mine would blend in with the background and be barely distinguishable, but these are clearly visible and fit in well with vanilla Rimworld graphics. I've added thicker borders to all horns and the tail art. Thank you for the advice!

The mod has been updated with new graphics as well as a bugfix. Next thing I'll do is probably tail variations, or try and find a better fix for the "Wild Man" incident.

I'm not sure if I personally messed up installing this mod, or if there is something I am just flat out missing. For me the scales on the body are missing, they only show up when the pawns are facing north. When they face South, East, and West the scales don't appear for me. Any help? 

On 6/14/2019 at 1:44 AM, Dudesonn said:

Sadly it isn't compatible as the monstergirls mod treats the entire body as one sprite, whereas this mod layers multiple sprites to allow for different color combinations. Also the body size and shape of Dragongirls in this mod and the ones in the monstergirls mod are different.

I might make a more detailed retexture later on, but there are still some core features I'd like to improve and complete first.

+1 for body textures in the future :)

On 6/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, Brorex said:

I'm not sure if I personally messed up installing this mod, or if there is something I am just flat out missing. For me the scales on the body are missing, they only show up when the pawns are facing north. When they face South, East, and West the scales don't appear for me. Any help? 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:16 PM, thedarlec said:

not sure but that is how they appear for me as well

I've been trying to recreate this issue but I've had no success. I can only assume it's a mod conflict. Can you post your modlist?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for clothes for them you could try to get them to work off of the Kijin author's clothing reworks he did for his race. He's done alot of popular mod clothing as well as vanilla.

I was pretty much able to convert the body they use to use the clothing myself with the help of the kijin author's suggestions about changing the backstory/race/texture path to femaleBB but ran into a problem with the scales/horns/tail no longer lining up to the femaleBB body despite having the same shape essentially. Not sure how to draw them back onto the body.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, Manisnecrom said:

If you're looking for clothes for them you could try to get them to work off of the Kijin author's clothing reworks he did for his race. He's done alot of popular mod clothing as well as vanilla.

I was pretty much able to convert the body they use to use the clothing myself with the help of the kijin author's suggestions about changing the backstory/race/texture path to femaleBB but ran into a problem with the scales/horns/tail no longer lining up to the femaleBB body despite having the same shape essentially. Not sure how to draw them back onto the body.

You need to add xy coordinates for the parts for "FemaleBB" to "Defs\ThingDefs_Races\race.xml"

scroll down to "body addons" and add a copy of "<Female>(x,y)</Female>" in each "<bodyTypes>" section (there are 9 of them) edited to "<FemaleBB>(x,y)</FemaleBB>"

may aslo need to copy the "Naked_Female" textures in "Textures\Things\DGDragon\Bodies" renamed to "Naked_FemaleBB"

You can then either edit the backstory so all dragongirls use them or use a ingame character editor to switch to it to choose for yourself.

I also set "<useSkinColor>" for the horns to false because it bugged me

temp.png

12 hours ago, Karmanherlo said:

You need to add xy coordinates for the parts for "FemaleBB" to "Defs\ThingDefs_Races\race.xml"

scroll down to "body addons" and add a copy of "<Female>(x,y)</Female>" in each "<bodyTypes>" section (there are 9 of them) edited to "<FemaleBB>(x,y)</FemaleBB>"

may aslo need to copy the "Naked_Female" textures in "Textures\Things\DGDragon\Bodies" renamed to "Naked_FemaleBB"

You can then either edit the backstory so all dragongirls use them or use a ingame character editor to switch to it to choose for yourself.

I also set "<useSkinColor>" for the horns to false because it bugged me

temp.png

Nice edits, but I seem to have ran into a problem. When I attempted to edit it it simply removed the dragon girls from my game completely and stopped new worlds from being generated. No idea what is going wrong. I suppose I am just terrible at editing files.

Guys, author is busy with real life and dont have time to work on this anymore, yeah i contacted him. And also i will try to update this and post new race too in following week, so if you can send me all bugs that you found would be cool. Im not programmer so i wont be able to fix it fast and correctly on the first try, also if someone is willing to help with xml/C+ part that would be cool!

Edit: Here are some updates https://www.loverslab.com/topic/127080-playable-monstegirls/