? REDFACTION's Most Wanted

2019-07-14_chest.png.ae6d9573b02fd2205358c259597534c4.png

2019-07-14_MW_board.png.7a22328ce54e3863b527e3526f7b32d6.png

Since the project reveal several people have been offering their help to me, and some are already working with me at this moment.

Thanks to my patrons’ support, I’m pleased to announce that I’m opening jobs for those like them who want to work on the project.

First of all I let you know that none of the donations made so far have been cashed.
In France we still get paid even if we are unemployed and as I’m starting my new job on the 20th of May, there is no reason for me to cash donations. It will remain like that until further notice.
As a consequence : all the funds gathered thanks to the patrons will fuel the project to make it grow.

On this board you can find how much money is saved in the TreasureChest.png.7ae67ad743f1a8a7122d9144a4e206ec.png chest, what are the active jobs you can work on, how many people are working on them are what are the rewards.

To apply to a job, you must tell it to me either in private or publicly in this thread.
If made publicly, your name will appear in the list. Otherwise I will just increase the counter.

The reward will be granted if the following conditions are fulfilled :

Spoiler
  • You found and implemented the solution before I did
  • Your solution meets all the job’s requirements
  • Your solution doesn’t rely on a third party licenced mod/software/…
  • Your solution can be implemented in the project (to make sure of this, it is highly advised to discuss it with me before you actually start working)
  • The solution has not been provided (or suddenly made very easy) by an EA patch or by someone who didn’t applied to the job
  • You are the only claimed owner of the solution
    • After the solution is made public there will be a delay before you get paid
    • If nobody claims the solution as his own or claims having worked with you on it you will get paid
    • In case of a collaboration, you must both send me a message before the release to agree on the collaboration and on your respective shares (50/50, 25/75…)
    • Openly discussing about possible solutions doesn’t count as a collaboration. If someone is using a trick you have been openly talking about is not considered as a collaboration (unless the winner agrees)

Be ingenious and good luck ?

You can reach out to me either by PM or on Discord (REDFACTION#8858)

bones_cap.png.db381d177db1253a389449f8cb8e4132.png

People working on it :

• 1 in private (just started paused)

What are the long term goals ?

• Provide fullbody physics as well as clothes physics

What do we already know ?

• How to make fullbody physics by trading existing bones

What is the problem ?

• The Sims’ rig has a 180 bones cap
  • Adding even a single bone above the cap causes a crash to desktop
  • Trading bones (removing an existing bone to replace it by a new one) is regressive. In best cases it causes clipping for situations implying contacts between sims (such as a hug)
  • There are only a few tradable bones, most of them being too important to be removed

Objectives :

• Get rid of the 180 bones cap
  • We should be able to add as many bones as we want to the Sims’ rig without any technical or performance issue

There is no path suggestion for this job. Feel free to make your own suggestions.

Careful : I strongly advise you to share your ideas with me (in public or in private) beforehand to make sure the path you are about to follow is compatible with the project’s implementation.

hair_physics.png.48349dd3b806238810f9fb8280881931.png

People working on it :

• 1 in private (just started paused)

What are the long term goals ?

• Implement hair physics for all hairstyles

What do we already know ?

• How to make hair physics for a single hairstyle

What is the problem ?

• Hair physics uses the Sims’ rig which has a limited number of bones
  • Making hair physics for all hairstyles would require more bones than we could handle
  • Even if we could add more bones to the Sims’ rig it’s not a proper way to animate the hair because the game will animate all the hair bones while only a few will be used for the equipped hairstyle

Job’s path suggestion :

The following path is a suggestion of how you could solve the issue. You are not forced to follow this path if you have a better idea.
However, I strongly advise you to share your ideas with me (in public or in private) beforehand to make sure the path you are about to follow is compatible with the project’s implementation.

• Find a way to handle the hair as an object

Technical implementation guidelines :

Develop a script which provides the following features :

The script must run only for interactions/animations which have been flagged for hair physics.
Maybe this could be done thanks to a new XML tag in the tuning files.

Upon a flagged interaction/animation start, the script must :

1. Unequip the CAS hair (just like if you removed it from CAS and made your sim bald)
  2. Equip the hair object counterpart

Upon a flagged interaction/animation end, the script must :

1. Unequip the hair object counterpart
  2. Re-equip the CAS hair

In order to work, the script must memorize which hair was unequipped and which is its object counterpart.

The transition must be smooth : we must not see the trick.

The hair object counterpart must fit the sims head according to the sliders position in CAS.

The hair animation should be referenced in the ASM JAZZ file alongside other animation ressources.
Modders will provide up to one reference per hairstyle.
We should be able to reference custom hairstyles.
The script will have to pick the right reference among all the references listed in the ASM to animate the equipped hairstyle.

You are going to have a huge obstacle when it comes to clothing and hair physics.  Most players frown on default Sims 4 content and instead prefer custom content for clothing and hair (especially myself).  It is rare for me to use a clothing item or hairstyle that comes with the base game or any of its expansions.  3rd party custom content (CC) is, in most cases, way better quality then what Maxis delivers.

There are literally hundreds of custom hair available for the game and thousands of custom clothing items.

I've modded The Sims 4 as well as Skyrim (and many other games).  In Skyrim, players modded the game to allow hair physics and also clothing physics but the available hair and clothing options were extremely limited.  It was very impressive but the major problem was that every single item had to be modified in order to support physics.  This greatly limits its practicality and scope.  It can be done, no question.  The available items will likely be quite limited.

Best of luck regardless!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want hair, breasts to move realistically with animations?  

Also another point. The fewer polygons used with a baked-on material the better where video games are concerned otherwise it takes longer to load, it can cause lagging and freezing and sometimes even crash the game. The industry would NEVER use a high polygon model ever for a video game for those exact reasons.  High Polygon models are always used in films like The Transformers and print like comic books because unlike a video game. I do a lot of ad work and film never done a video game but remember what my professors taught me about video games vs print and film. 

You don't need to ad bones to add movement to hair.

A warm thanks to all the patrons, formers and actives, who contributed to the project so far and thanks to whom there is now more than $ 500 dedicated to the project.

The reward for both jobs is now increased from $ 100 to $ 250 each.

I advise anyone who has even a few technical skills to take a shot at the 180 bones cap.

Intuition and ruse are more important than technical skills to solve this issue. You might solve it with a quick trick just because you were smart and thought of something nobody did.

I personally got a new idea for both jobs since I offered them here.

My idea concerning the 180 bones cap was promising but turned out (again ?) to be a fail.

My idea concerning the hair physics is promising but requires some work to be tested.

I won't go into the details to not influence your own investigations. It's important that we all explore different directions.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:59 AM, Khyttyn said:

You don't need to ad bones to add movement to hair.

Outside of The Sims 4 I would agree, but in The Sims 4 I'm not aware of any other way to do it. Are you ?

9 hours ago, REDFACTION said:

A warm thanks to all the patrons, formers and actives, who contributed to the project so far and thanks to whom there is now more than $ 500 dedicated to the project.

The reward for both jobs is now increased from $ 100 to $ 250 each.

I advise anyone who has even a few technical skills to take a shot at the 180 bones cap.

Intuition and ruse are more important than technical skills to solve this issue. You might solve it with a quick trick just because you were smart and thought of something nobody did.

I personally got a new idea for both jobs since I offered them here.

My idea concerning the 180 bones cap was promising but turned out (again ?) to be a fail.

My idea concerning the hair physics is promising but requires some work to be tested.

I won't go into the details to not influence your own investigations. It's important that we all explore different directions.

Outside of The Sims 4 I would agree, but in The Sims 4 I'm not aware of any other way to do it. Are you ?

Hi Red, I dunno if it's of any help and I mentioned this in your other thread, have you seen the mother plant from the Strangerville ep? It's got a lot of bones compared with the the normal rig so it may potentially have a higher bone cap? 

Could the instances or something like that be changed to reflect that instead? 

Good luck and I hope its going well! 

35 minutes ago, REDFACTION said:

Hi ?

The Strangerville mother plant has 179 bones.

Coincidence ? I don't think so ?

Damn that's a bit of a disappointment lol

Out of interest what do you already know about the restriction? What new approach did you try? 

1 hour ago, R-Lo said:

what do you already know about the restriction? What new approach did you try?

I tried several things. They all failed in a brutal crash to desktop without giving any clue about what happened.

As I said I won't go into the details to not influence people in their investigations.

If you are not working on it but you are just curious you can come to chat on discord ?

5 minutes ago, REDFACTION said:

I tried several things. They all failed in a brutal crash to desktop without giving any clue about what happened.

As I said I won't go into the details to not influence people in their investigations.

If you are not working on it but you are just curious you can come to chat on discord ?

Ok cool ill pop in soon! ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know what blender is and used it to morph some bones and I could import it in SimsStudio/Sims the way I wanted. Nevertheless don't expect too much about this thought: For the animated hair a new object 'bones cap' should be created. So it should also be possible to create a lower body object and an upper body object (with simple leg bones for robes) and animate all three objects together. I assume that this is technically possible but I wonder whether one should look into it or better discard this thought asap for obvious reasons.

@REDFACTION a comment from you would be nice. I think that the 180 bones limit is hardcoded in TS4 snd EA does not want to increase it at the moment even though the game is old and recent computers could handle it without issues.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:33 PM, Oops19 said:

I know what blender is and used it to morph some bones and I could import it in SimsStudio/Sims the way I wanted. Nevertheless don't expect too much about this thought: For the animated hair a new object 'bones cap' should be created. So it should also be possible to create a lower body object and an upper body object (with simple leg bones for robes) and animate all three objects together. I assume that this is technically possible but I wonder whether one should look into it or better discard this thought asap for obvious reasons.

@REDFACTION a comment from you would be nice. I think that the 180 bones limit is hardcoded in TS4 snd EA does not want to increase it at the moment even though the game is old and recent computers could handle it without issues.

Hi Oops19,

If you think you are on a good trail don't hesitate to suggest a working prototype (either here or in private).

I would be pleased to compensate your efforts if you reach one of the objectives.

Archived