best way to save files

moscardi

hello all,

i m planning to change all my configuration and my skyrim and fallout game are stable with many many mods .

what is the best way to save or make a back up to easely restart my games with all my mods ??

cheers

ps:sorry for my english

On 5/9/2019 at 7:25 AM, winny257 said:

external hard drive, there you can save the DATA folder, but not only!
I have two piece, each 2000 GB, all my mods are deposited there, these mods are never lost. :classic_wink:

This, unfortunately, makes the bad assumption that the drives or connectors will always work.  They won't.

If you want to really archive stuff?  Set up a RAID1 array and save to that.  I recommend XigmaNAS with ZFS. 

On 5/9/2019 at 7:22 AM, moscardi said:

hello all,

i m planning to change all my configuration and my skyrim and fallout game are stable with many many mods .

what is the best way to save or make a back up to easely restart my games with all my mods ??

cheers

ps:sorry for my english

I could say Nexus Mod Manager offer those option to create a restore point assuming you only want to back up the file folder, simply use winrar and throw it on a usb to save HDD space... no need to thanks me pals 

24 minutes ago, BufusTurbo said:

I lost all my stored mods when the HD got bricked by a 40 cm fall.

That's why you sooner or later have 2 or more and rotate them around.

HDDisks suffer from mechanical usage at some day anyway. You don't know WHEN, but you know THAT they DO.

Saving your precious data from the internal HD to an external disk is step 1.

Rotating multiple external disks on a weekly/monthly schedule is step 2. 

It's just a question of how much money ? you can and want to throw against a nightmare at once. :classic_laugh:

15 minutes ago, worik said:

That's why you sooner or later have 2 or more and rotate them around.

HDDisks suffer from mechanical usage at some day anyway. You don't know WHEN, but you know THAT they DO.

Saving your precious data from the internal HD to an external disk is step 1.

Rotating multiple external disks on a weekly/monthly schedule is step 2. 

It's just a question of how much money ? you can and want to throw against a nightmare at once. :classic_laugh:

I have my two external hard drives (HDD) over 14 years, I have never had any problems.
even my old PC is just as old.
Although I have a new PC (Win10),  I prefer to play with this old one (Win7). :classic_wink:

I have a small collection of 2 -4 TB passport external drives, from years of backing up my backups. I keep them in cases when they are not used, and treat them gently. They've lasted for years.

I archive every mod download, including c/p description pages and pics. I use the update notification on nexus on each mod and download each update in the folders, each mod has its own folder and notes.

I also use an image backup, Acronis. You can backup your entire computer, or selected files, like your game folder(s). It's highly customizable. If you go this route, I would google the best image backup programs from several pc sites, and pick one of the top three. It does cost some money, but the peace of mind is great. I've recovered from two HD crashes so far, with only minor problems which were easily solved. I haven't lost anything significant from my Skyrim since 2011. All settings and everything remained the same. I've kept Win 8.1 no problem.

There's cloud storage, too, but that's $$$.

Archived