Oblivion vs. Skyrim

Which seems the best route?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which seems the best route?

• Play adult mods with Oblivion?
    • Stick with Skyrim because eventually it will work?
    • Become a modder to help enhance the game?

I've lost track of how many times I have had to do a clean install. Sometimes, I've even had to uninstall steam and reinstall in regards to Skyrim problems. I really enjoy the added quests, mods and prefer to play with Skyrim.

However, I'm coming to a point where I wonder if it might be easier to play with the adult mods within Oblivion since they aren't releasing any new patches, updates, or just things which upset the balance of the my personalized game. Finally, I know that in regards to Skyrim there are still some major plans for significant upgrades with the Dragonborn addon.

I don't feel that I am a very heavy modder since my current mods total approximately 50 mods including weapons, armors, graphical enhancements, and especially custom races by skyzk (spelling lol). I would love to be able to integrate the MLA, ASX, and futa mods but it seems that there are some instabilities with the game engine which I am constantly trying to correct with the latest mods downloads.

My ultimate question is this- Is it easier to run the adult mods on Oblivion due to the stability and since it has been the same in regards of bethsoft for the last 5 years? I've even debated about investing my time into actually working on these myself for my own personal enjoyment but then it feels instead of enjoying a game I am working to fix the issues which seem to occur every time bethesda and steam come up with a new patch. Has anyone else felt the same way or just thought of these things?

I admit that this is a rant towards the supposed fixes which the original game developer is attempting to fix but it seems like the modders and the game designers generally headbutt one another instead of working cooperatively towards an awesome game experience. I know that I am still going to play it, but I've thought about just eliminating all of the work I've put forward to making this my own signature game and waiting until everything is finally done with Skyrim to resume playing.

I'm not talking about mods for adults

Just look at the scene of the Oblivion mod.

The videos are indeed cool although I really don't understand Russian lol. The graphics are indeed amazing and maybe just taking a break in Oblivion would be a nice alternative while playing semi-vanilla (because I love the custom races too much lol) Skyrim. :)

If you have the time to mess with it and the room on your gaming computer, nothing's stopping you from installing both Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion is indeed as a rather stable, if stagnant, point, and would be easier to deal with since not much changes anymore.

But honestly? If you have to pick one or the other, I'd stick with Skyrim. Better game to start with, pr0n or not. Plus, coming off of Oblivion's massive pool of modding talent, the modding community in Skyrim is chock full of geniuses. The amount of quality mods in one year for Skyrim blows the amount that was out for Oblivion by this point out of the water five times over. Stability is going to continue to be a problem for a long time, it's true, but the army of modders are remarkably on top of dealing with things like that, too.

The good adult mods are coming, as well; you've already got more choices now than you did in Oblivion after one year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to reinstall one time, and that was because I tried to downgrade the version like an idiot. That was completely my fault.

As far as games with mod potential go, Skyrim's remarkably stable and easy to mod. After modding games like Bridge Commander for years and years, Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim has been a breath of fresh air.

My own decision is to stick with Skyrim, for stability issues, ironically.

You get the occasional crash or freeze with Skyrim, but as a whole the game's much more stable than Oblivion, which was so prone to crashes it needed a mod specially made to keep the game running when a crash would have occurred, and even then could still be prone to regular crashing while doing nothing more strenuous than strolling around Chorrol.

I do miss Estrus, though - although I couldn't get that to work 100% properly, either.

Skyrim is in a technical sense superior to oblivion in nearly every way. It's graphics, textures, optimization, as well as other things such as combat etc. And when it comes to the modding community Skyrim is quickly picking up on oblivion. There are actually more interesting mods for skyrim than oblivion.

Tbh the only thing that keeps me playing oblivion is lovers. When skyrim creates a system equal to and superior to lovers, then I'll probably quit oblivion.

Skyrim is in a technical sense superior to oblivion in nearly every way. It's graphics' date=' textures, optimization, as well as other things such as combat etc. And when it comes to the modding community Skyrim is quickly picking up on oblivion. There are actually more interesting mods for skyrim than oblivion.

Tbh the only thing that keeps me playing oblivion is lovers. When skyrim creates a system equal to and superior to lovers, then I'll probably quit oblivion.

[/quote']

i hope someday beth upgrade CK to oblivion and fallout levels of character creation and facial modeling, and maybe atleast a facegen option to fix the neck seams

Wow, I'm amazed at all of the comments on this thread. Thank you all for replying.

Since I've taken a much more proactive role with mod management using Wrye Bash, TESMod Manager (thank goodness it isn't NMM anymore) and BOSS things have become much more stable and I can readily identify issues which caused crashes. As much as I would love to be able to run some things like ENB and some of the graphical engines my system just isn't quite strong enough. Specs following:

Intel I7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GTX 550 Ti with 1 Gb RAM, and Win 7 Home Premium

While it is able to handle most of what I throw at it, by monitoring my GPU I've noticed with some of the graphical enhancements my video card maxes and then the game crashes. I'm uncertain if it is my case (old Dell with hardly any vents to speak of for heat management), Processor, or just plain motherboard. Regardless I've found what works for my system and seem to have a stable build with mods now.

Now, if I am lucky enough to get back on the road I might be willing to try Oblivion then since it will be much more easier on a laptop/ tablet than skyrim because I don't know how I would play Skyrim using a general purpose laptop with the mods I prefer now. :P

Wow' date=' I'm amazed at all of the comments on this thread. Thank you all for replying.

Since I've taken a much more proactive role with mod management using Wrye Bash, TESMod Manager (thank goodness it isn't NMM anymore) and BOSS things have become much more stable and I can readily identify issues which caused crashes. As much as I would love to be able to run some things like ENB and some of the graphical engines my system just isn't quite strong enough. Specs following:

Intel I7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, GTX 550 Ti with 1 Gb RAM, and Win 7 Home Premium

While it is able to handle most of what I throw at it, by monitoring my GPU I've noticed with some of the graphical enhancements my video card maxes and then the game crashes. I'm uncertain if it is my case (old Dell with hardly any vents to speak of for heat management), Processor, or just plain motherboard. Regardless I've found what works for my system and seem to have a stable build with mods now.

Now, if I am lucky enough to get back on the road I might be willing to try Oblivion then since it will be much more easier on a laptop/ tablet than skyrim because I don't know how I would play Skyrim using a general purpose laptop with the mods I prefer now. :P

[/quote']

I'm playing Skyrim with I7 integrated video acceleration since my GFX card was sent to factory for repair (burnt out ram most likely). At 720p, it's running smoothly with the mods I installed. I don't really have many texture heavy mods, though.

For the crashes, I'm not sure which game you were talking about. If it's Skyrim, it's very likely that your graphic card runs out of memory. Download MSI Afterburner to monitor memory usage.

If it's Oblivion, well then you would have to spend a lot of time diagnosing, slimming down the list of possible causes of crashes.

I'm playing Skyrim with I7 integrated video acceleration since my GFX card was sent to factory for repair (burnt out ram most likely). At 720p' date=' it's running smoothly with the mods I installed. I don't really have many texture heavy mods, though.

For the crashes, I'm not sure which game you were talking about. If it's Skyrim, it's very likely that your graphic card runs out of memory. Download MSI Afterburner to monitor memory usage.

If it's Oblivion, well then you would have to spend a lot of time diagnosing, slimming down the list of possible causes of crashes.

[/quote']

The game in question is Skyrim. I downloaded and installed the TechPowerUp GPU-Z and it does indeed look like I run out of GPU RAM. Since my budget is very constrained, I will need to wait for a few months until I can afford a new video card (currently eVGA GTX 550 Ti with 1 Gb Ram). I'm attempting to upgrade my computer RAM but I'm uncertain if it will have an effect on the video card RAM though but I hope so since desktop RAM is much cheaper than buying a new video card. Also, in case anyone is thinking it, my computer only has one PCI-E slot so I am unable to do an SLI setup unless I completely get a entirely new system or build one (which I'm planning on doing next year anyway). Other than that, I have all of the patches, DIV-X updates, and drivers up to date so I think this is a situation where my system just can't handle the Uber realistic skyrim do to limitations of my computer.

I'm sticking with Skyrim, on a strictly vanilla standpoint it is all around a MUCH better game than Oblivion. Skyrims modding scene isn't too bad either IMO. TBBP is so much better than any mods that came out for Oblivion IMO (sans Lovers). Give it another year or two and Oblivion will probably be behind Skyrim in the sex mods scene.

Archived