I've poured over 70 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn.

Kamen Rider Kuuga

I've finished almost everything there is to do in the game, short of doing a NG+ ultra hard run. Frankly, the story is the absolute weakest part of the game and I do not want to replay it again because that would mean having to suffer through that crap all over again.

The story is so force fed, so contrived, so utterly derivative, predictable and flat out boring that I find it hard to imagine that people claim it's one of the best stories in modern gaming.

So what? I got 300+ hours in Arma 3, 88 hours in DoS 2, 4,965 hours in Skyrim, and 4344 hours in Oblivion, 2235 in NFS titles, and 12000+ in Google Chrome. Oh, I'm closing in on 2000 hours in Fallout 4. Also have ~400 in The Witcher 3 at 43% completion.

Do you even game?

Not saying I don't have a life, because I have a life outside gaming (like a job) but jeez.

Wait.. you finished everything including ng+ in 70 hours?

I'm like 218 hours into it and only completed the main game including side missions, haven't even touched the dlc and ng+.  lol

Story is kinda meh, nothing to write home about. I dig the combat though only if you don't exploit frost. It's seriously OP.

I had to actually google what the game is! That is saying something LOL! All I remember about this one is that the developers were so proud that OUR game has WHAMEN in it or something along those lines, I honestly almost erased this thing from my mind.

In my opinion that is a clear indicator that they made something crap or at least mediocre, and are trying to hide behind politics or whatever that is suppose to be. I mean there lots of games with whamen, you are not special.

On the other hand you mentioned the story being underwhelming, then what about the gameplay? Where exactly does that land between?

I wouldn't put too much stock in the complaints you tend to see about Horizon Zero Dawn being SJW/anti-male/gratuitously feminist etc. The only two bits of "evidence" anyone ever seems to offer as proof of this are that (A) the protagonist is a woman, one who - in their opinion - isn't sexually attractive, and (B) the game's main tribe is ruled by women. (They don't mention, oddly enough, that this is also the most backward and primitive tribe in the game.)

As for how good it is, I thought it was excellent. Gameplay was a lot of fun, the setting and concept were interesting, the world looks gorgeous and I thought the story - certainly by gaming standards - was considerably above average. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It just clicked for me. Possibly my favourite game of the current console generation.

4 hours ago, TheAwesomeTRex said:

On the other hand you mentioned the story being underwhelming, then what about the gameplay? Where exactly does that land between?

The combat of the game is more focused on stealth and ranged fighting. Every machine has multiple points that you can attack to remove their ability to perform abilities or to make them explode to cause damage, either just to them or machines around them. Melee is basically a last resort, which is why your only real melee options is a weak spear up until near the end of the game or if you have Frozen Wilds, which allows you to mod your spear to be a bit more powerful. If you really want to go in for the kill, though, you have the Ropecaster, which allows you to tie down robots so you can get in close and beat them upside the head.

Going along with the stealth approach, there's weapons whose entire purpose is to set up traps or to lob bombs from a distance. You can even just set bombs from your items menu. With a skill, which frankly it amazes me that you need a skill in order to do this, you can lure in enemies so that they'll walk into your traps. However, stealth is also so dominating that with the right armor, mods in it and a skill that makes you harder to detect, you can sneak up on practically any enemy anyway and override them, thus turning them to your side for a while and let them do all the work. Or sneak attack them to basically do a OHKO.

As for the SJW stuff... I saw some of it. The Nora, while the most ass backwards tribe, is gynocentrism incarnate. They are indeed ruled by women whose only real achievement is that they had kids and their kids had kids. It's all very much "I have the vagina, I make the rules." It's backwards and primitive because that's how matriarchies work. To contrast this, male dominated societies, the Oseram who are technologically advanced and the Carja, which are culturally advanced are displayed as a bunch of evil racist, misogynist pigs because they have different opinions on the place of women in society.

Later in the game, it takes every chance it gets to show you just how super amazing Elisabet Sobeck is and how evil and wrong Ted Faro is. It basically gets to a point where you'd just expect people to start worshiping her.

Spoiler

Project Zero Dawn itself is very much a clear sign of "diversity is strength" and how easily these people can fall into censorship of things they do not like, but in this case it gave them the ultimate power because they were literally removing things from history that offended them. Instead of working on things in an efficient manner to make the most of their time, they instead wasted precious days translating everything into thousands of languages. They have GAIA a human form and made her a black woman, because of course that would totally fit into the Greek scheme they were going for with the naming and means of what the project was aiming for.

But I do have to admit that they did Rost right. They made him a proper father figure, something we've been lacking in a lot of games, and the fact that he cared about her more than the rest of the tribe is a clear "fuck you" to the people who claim that by default, women are better suited to taking care of children.

Congratulations, I could barely get 4 hours into the game before giving up on it, honestly it's one of the most boring games I've played which should be impossible for a game with robot dinosaurs in it. Still better than Breath of the Wild though.

Archived